don't click here

An interesting new MMF2 style game designer IDE

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Conan Kudo, Aug 10, 2009.

1. Conan Kudo

Conan Kudo

「真実はいつも一つ!」工藤新一 Member
    Techokami and I had been talking on MSN, and he told me about an open source MMF2-style game designer environment available for Windows that was open source under the GPL.

The game maker he was referring to is called Construct. Apparently, Damizen is porting Sonic Worlds to it. So it must be at least somewhat good if Damizen liked it enough to start porting the Sonic Worlds engine to it.

2. Mr. Ksoft

Mr. Ksoft

I have been working with Construct since January and would highly recommend it. I find that while it is similar for MMF2 (similar enough that I was able to jump with both feet on the first day of using it just by referencing my old MMF2 knowledge), it has some differences that make it a lot more usable and makes large projects easier to manage. Plus, it has hardware acceleration for graphics, and it makes a massive difference in performance and graphical capabilities.

It's still a bit buggy though, and sometimes it crashes a lot, but what can you expect from pre-1.0 software? Apart from that, it's great. I can't see myself ever turning back to MMF2 (except to reference my final MMF2 project file, which I have recreated in Construct and now continue to develop)

3. Metal-Geo

Metal-Geo

Toot toot Member
    If I'm correct, Construct is programmed (mainly) by a certain person who developed MMF extensions. And probably got sick of it eventually.

It's a great tool, no doubt! But still too buggy for me in its current state.

4. Conan Kudo

Conan Kudo

「真実はいつも一つ!」工藤新一 Member
    Well, I found another interesting game designer tool that is also open source.

This one is called Game Editor and it is a cross platform game designer that can target multiple platforms, such as Windows and Linux, but it can also target Windows Mobile, Pocket PC, and GP2X.