don't click here

Amy In Sonic 1

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by E-122-Psi, Feb 28, 2010.

1. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Sorry for double-posting, but I thought this might be worth bringing the thread back to life for:

Revision 1.1 is now up!

* Leap and High-Jump abilities have been added (down+B for leap, down+A for high-jump)
    * Jump attack radius is larger making breaking monitors and enemies less tedius
    * Spin Hammer attack's bounce has been fixed, meaning no more dashing through springs
    * The garbled points glitch is finally fixed (YAY!)
    * The TM garbage glitch is also fixed (though the TM sprite itself is now corrupted)
    * Few other pallette refinements to sprites.

Enjoy:
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/b193wg

I'll make the button-switch alternate later on.

I have been having the occasional problem getting this to work on Gens, I'm not sure whether this is because of the ROM or my crappy computer so if you have similar problems do tell.

Special thanx to Aquaslash and FraGag for helping with coding.

2. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    Okay:

- Using leap at the bottom of a slope sometimes means you jump through the slope (and fall to your death).
    - The leap button can be used repeatedly, when it should really only be available when slow/stopped (see: spindash).

Also:

- When you make a final rearrangement of the buttons, bear in mind that DOWN+C doesn't really do anything at the moment, so you could use the traditional two-button layout (B for hammer attacks, A/C for jump and leap).

Other than that, good job! :thumbsup:

Oh, and headbutt please, and Amy in Sonic 2 please.

3. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Never had the first glitch happen, odd.

I know, this is largely because my attempts at making animation branches haven't been successful at times. I was thinking of changing Amy's controls so that Down always grind her to a halt (like in Advance) which would solve this somewhat, but I'm not sure how to code it right now.

Again the useless C combo is down to branching but can likely be fixed.

Headbutt may be a little more complex but I could try along the way I guess.

Amy might be a nice project to warm me up with Sonic 2, I'd need to make more sprites though.

4. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    I was actually thinking of checking Amy's speed before actually leaping, so she'll just jump if she's already moving at a fair speed. Having DOWN always grind her to a halt wouldn't actually solve the problem, as the move can still be performed instantly upon landing.

It's not really a bug, it's just that you've set the controls so DOWN+B performs a leap, and done nothing about DOWN+C. I wouldn't even worry about changing this until you swap all of the controls over.

5. FeliciaVal

FeliciaVal

Spain
    can you post a mirror link to download it? Sendspace keeps saying that the url doesn't exist

6. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    Mirror mirror, on the wall...

7. FeliciaVal

FeliciaVal

Spain
    Thank you Ducky ^^ btw I love your signature XD so true! haha

8. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Making it so that pressing duck always halts the player will make it moot point anyway, there is no real way of telling whether the leap in Sonic Advance works only when stood still because you always grind to a halt pressing Down anyway. The Advance version isn't that much more degraded anyway.

It would be worth changing it so both jump controls perform the move anyway, it doesn't make that much sense for one to work and the other not to.

9. nullaccnt

nullaccnt

This is a really cool hack, man. :) The only thing I suggest is er, moving her right eye further to the left on the title screen. She looks a little.. blank. Other than that, brilliantly done! Amy is so cute and I'm super-glad you used classic Amy, too.

10. Chilly Willy

Chilly Willy

Tech Member
    Doom 32X
    Nice update! Works well on real hardware now. :)

11. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Original, No substitute Resident Jester
    Japan
    Ahh, new moves and bug fixes? Awesome!

Now although I like the new down twirly move (The one when holding Down and A), but I couldn't put much use into it, but regardless it still looks awesome with the new brilliant sprites to go with, I've noticed that the walkjump bug hasn't been fixed, but seeing as you need to press a button to activate the attack moves, it was hardly noticed and pointless to fix anyway =P

Aquaslash mentioned this on irc, and I totally agree...

[​IMG]

THAT is fucking brilliant!!

Just... keep up the good work, I see the directions of this hack, and they're all great and I haven't a problem.

12. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Thanx. :)

Suppose I can refine her title animation later, I think her face looks a bit skewed upward anyway.

Nice to know. :)

Thanx. :)

As I stated on the IRC, attempts to fix the walk jump bug were ineffective perhaps due to her different jump animation.

Surprised how many like the ending animation.

13. Crappy Blue

Crappy Blue

Knuckles' Chaotix is a perfect game with no flaws Member
    [​IMG]
    :ohdear:
    You should probably move her right (our left) eye over a few pixels to the right.

14. Sonic Boom

Sonic Boom

Agreed. I know that I tend to be nitpicky (see Sonic the Hedgehog Classic thread), but I can't help but feel it could use that minor tweak. Here's a little edit with how I think it'd look better...

(Left - Original : Right: Edit)
    ][​IMG][​IMG]

Again, I don't mean to impose, but just felt I needed to express my thoughts regarding that. The hack is very fun and I've always wanted to be able to play as Amy in Sonic 1. I hope to see something like this from you for Sonic 2. Huge props on the spritework, very nice. =)

15. I love the tweaks you made!

...but the Hammer still doesn't hit things on the ground! D:

Maybe you could increase the range on that attack so the hammer is in the attack range?

This is still an excellent hack. Well done!

16. InsaneSonikkuFan

InsaneSonikkuFan

master ninja Oldbie
    it's the little things that really make this shine. the attention to detail with a lot of stuff is what made me really enjoy this hack. the animations and poses are perfect.
    thank you for making my day.

one thing I noticed while playing - I would usually have to come down perfect on item boxes using the down+a in the air. sometimes I'd just land on them, jump, try again, and it'd work. so I dunno. odd bug.

17. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

I can see what you mean, that said I don't think the alt position looks quite right either. I'll try editing it at some point.

I'd also like to figure out how to change her speed in the ending, the speed cap seems to boost her animation so it finishes before the music.

Thanx.

Yes, I'm gonna try toggling the other hammer attacks for next rev (the ground hammer attack may be trickier though since it doesn't have a flag assigned to it).

Also if anyone knows what may be wrong with the hammer's animation coding so that it keeps reseting when changing position that would be helpful too (alternatively locking her controls until the attack finishes may hide this).

18. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    This can be fixed in the same way I told you to fix the demos, by checking the current game mode and using the default values for speed and acceleration while not in normal gameplay. You couldn't do that for the demos because also other moves were involved, but I guess it's just a plain run here, so you should be able to fix it quite easily :)

edit: this comes straight from my hack:
    Code (Text):
    1.         move.b    ($FFFFF600).w,d0
    2.         and.b    #$7F,d0
    3.         cmpi.b    #$C,d0; level?
    4.         beq.s    SonicGoesFaster
    6.         move.w    #$600,($FFFFF760).w; Sonic's top speed
    7.         move.w    #$C,($FFFFF762).w; Sonic's acceleration
    8.         move.w    #$80,($FFFFF764).w; Sonic's deceleration
    9.         bra.s    SonicGoesSomewhere
    10. SonicGoesFaster:
    11.         move.w    #$1000,($FFFFF760).w; Sonic's top speed
    12.         move.w    #$10,($FFFFF762).w; Sonic's acceleration
    13.         move.w    #$80,($FFFFF764).w; Sonic's deceleration
    14. SonicGoesSomewhere:
    15.         move.b    #5,$FFFFD1C0.w; Load spindash dust object
    It's in Obj01_Main. Of course ignore the spindash part, I just don't remember what line is supposed to be there normally :v:

19. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Okay thanx. :)

20. Ralbalboa

Ralbalboa

Great new moves!!!! So the TM garbage glitch that's been bodering me from your Sally hack too (sure it's making you crazy even more :) ), finally being closer to be fixed. Can't you just simple erase the TM? It doesn't need to be there, it's a hack, I don't know, just saying cause don't know anything about asm, yet. When you finally find they way to fix that will you do it with your Sally hack too?
    I love the sprites from the new down twirly move! I think this hack is even better than your Sally one!!! And I love that one too!!! You are great with this sprites hacking, man, great! I'm waiting to see what's going to be your next one (Rouge (this one would be awesome)? Blaze? Cream? Bunny? God, there are a lot of characters to choose I would like to see!).