Alleged unused Shadow music

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by GeneHF, Jun 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    All right, so last night during a YouTube binge, I stumbled upon a video with a song from <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoFijeq-frk&fmt=18" target="_blank">Sins of a Divine Mother called Broken</a>. The video proclaims that the song was originally set to be in Shadow The Hedgehog, but when Jun Senoue was unable to contact the band's lead singer for permission to use it in the game, it was replaced with A2's Chosen One.

Now, a quick flit through the Googles reveals this little story is the only trace of this claim on about seven other video channels and YouTube claims are pretty dubious at best.

Long story short: does this little tale have any sort of validity that you, the fine denizens of Retro, are aware of? Short of asking Senoue himself and hoping he has the time to respond, there's not much else to go on.

2. PC2

PC2

GenMobile > 3DS Member
    Various Artwork & Music, :smug:
    I remember hearing about this a few years ago at several sites. Here's an <a href="http://www.soahcity.com/music/2005_shadow_the_hedgehog/interview-a2.php" target="_blank">interview</a> that mentions it from Shadow of a Hedgehog. Based on what info we have, I'd say it seems legit, but who knows.

3. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    This was supposed to be the main theme at one point:
    <!--id1--><object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0Pd0AlzUA9A&"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0Pd0AlzUA9A&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object><!--id2-->

But this song was removed all together. Wish it stayed it fit really well.

4. LockOnTommy11

LockOnTommy11

Previously SpeedStarTMQ Member
    UK
    I have Sins of a Divine Mother- Broken on MP3. It's not usually the kind of music I like, but there's something about it which seems really quite Gary Numan. Having been a sad little git a few years ago, and playing it during the end credits to validate the story;

Yes, it fits perfectly. It even sounds like a Shadow song, and I'm sure a few of the members of Sins of a Divine Mother are from A2, who also did Chosen One on the soundtrack, which funnily, sounds similar to Broken.

Who I Am by Magna-Fi was also supposed to be on the soundtrack. I have a version downloaded from iTunes, and the supposed version, the latter of which has differences to it which make it sound like a Shadow song. Who I Am is also one of Shadow's quotes.

5. Chaos Knux

Chaos Knux

Stable avatar temporary. Randomizer site down. Misfit
    <!--quoteo(post=461993:date=Jun 1 2010, 10:35 AM:name=Lanzer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Lanzer @ Jun 1 2010, 10:35 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=461993">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This was supposed to be the main theme at one point:
    <!--id1--><object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0Pd0AlzUA9A&"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0Pd0AlzUA9A&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object><!--id2-->

But this song was removed all together. Wish it stayed it fit really well.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    <a href="http://tubedubber.com/#s767q7NEVNM:0Pd0AlzUA9A:0:100:0:0:true" target="_blank">to you, a present, I give </a>

6. MathUser

MathUser

3rd top wiki contributor Researcher
    For archive purposes the A2 interview is now Archived on the wiki <a href="http://info.sonicretro.org/Danny Parker interview by Dennis Spielman" target="_blank" style="background: url(http://info.sonicretro.org/images/5/50/Reticon.png) right no-repeat; padding-right: 20px; border-bottom: 1px dotted #3366BB; color: #3366BB; cursor:pointer; text-decoration:none;" class="wiki">Danny Parker interview by Dennis Spielman</a>.

7. Shakidna

Shakidna

Rehash Rampage Member
    <!--quoteo(post=461984:date=Jun 1 2010, 09:39 AM:name=PC2)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PC2 @ Jun 1 2010, 09:39 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=461984">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I remember hearing about this a few years ago at several sites. Here's an <a href="http://www.soahcity.com/music/2005_shadow_the_hedgehog/interview-a2.php" target="_blank">interview</a> that mentions it from Shadow of a Hedgehog. Based on what info we have, I'd say it seems legit, but who knows.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    <a href="http://www.soahcity.com/lols/images001-10.php" target="_blank">Holy shit this is the most retarded Sonic fansite I've seen since the one I made when I was 10.</a>
    <span style='color:#000000;background:#000000'>(still not as bad as 4chan)</span>

8. GeneHF

GeneHF

Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    Thanks for the info, guys. That interview and subsequent details is pretty good stuff.

As a prize, shameless <a href="http://tubedubber.com/#LmsSiHDFRL8:hoFijeq-frk:0:100:60:0:true" target="_blank">TubeDubbing Round 2</a>

Shame this didn't get in. I kinda like it more than Chosen One. It still has that lame "YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND ME!" vibe, but it's a bit more listenable.

EDIT: Link improved

9. Shakidna

Shakidna

Rehash Rampage Member
    On the topic of Shadow, does anyone have footage of the E3 Demo? I remember finding a video in which someone played through the entire game (nice 'demo') which featured major differences such as red alien blood, Adventure game voice acting, and raunchier language. Whatever is still floating around should possibly be archived?

<span style='color:#000000;background:#000000'>At least make it a higher priority than dumping that undumped Sonic X GBA-Video rom? </span>Maybe?

10. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

Emerald Dragoon Moderator
    Hampton, VA
    The S Factor: Sonia and Silver
    I have the first trailer which has David Humphrey doing the voice, though all he says are the Chaos Powers.

If he actually did more dialogue, I'd be interested in hearing it

11. GeneHF

GeneHF

Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    <!--quoteo(post=462068:date=Jun 1 2010, 02:26 PM:name=Shakidna)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Shakidna @ Jun 1 2010, 02:26 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=462068">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->On the topic of Shadow, does anyone have footage of the E3 Demo? I remember finding a video in which someone played through the entire game (nice 'demo') which featured major differences such as red alien blood, Adventure game voice acting, and raunchier language. Whatever is still floating around should possibly be archived?

<span style='color:#000000;background:#000000'>At least make it a higher priority than dumping that undumped Sonic X GBA-Video rom? </span>Maybe?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That's really not been dumped? Shit, I have a cart festering on my shelf after getting it for cheap. The compression causes the quality to be horrible and lose sync.

It'd be nice to get a hold of that prototype you two are talking about, though I don't know how willing our prototype hunters here would be to spend money on anything to do with Shadow The Hedgehog.

12. SegaLoco

SegaLoco

W)(at did you say? Misfit
    I wish Shadow the Hedgehog could've gone down this road instead. =P

<!--id1--><object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6rF-oospc9E&"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6rF-oospc9E&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object><!--id2-->

That's interesting to know though. I hate that kinda music :P

13. MathUser

MathUser

3rd top wiki contributor Researcher
    <!--quoteo(post=462068:date=Jun 1 2010, 01:26 PM:name=Shakidna)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Shakidna @ Jun 1 2010, 01:26 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=462068">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->On the topic of Shadow, does anyone have footage of the E3 Demo? I remember finding a video in which someone played through the entire game (nice 'demo') which featured major differences such as red alien blood, Adventure game voice acting, and raunchier language. Whatever is still floating around should possibly be archived?

<span style='color:#000000;background:#000000'>At least make it a higher priority than dumping that undumped Sonic X GBA-Video rom? </span>Maybe?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Only One Sonic X GBA video was released and that has been dumped. For some reason the second GBA Video that was planned was not released. At least from my investigation it hasn't anyway. It never pops up on ebay.

14. Lanzer

Lanzer

Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    <!--quoteo(post=462068:date=Jun 1 2010, 01:26 PM:name=Shakidna)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Shakidna @ Jun 1 2010, 01:26 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=462068">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->On the topic of Shadow, does anyone have footage of the E3 Demo? I remember finding a video in which someone played through the entire game (nice 'demo') which featured major differences such as red alien blood, Adventure game voice acting, and raunchier language. Whatever is still floating around should possibly be archived?

LOL!

Long ass time ago, I posted E3 footage of shadow at CulT along with pics and other resources. They didn't care as usual (even though their goal is collect and inform all games no matter what suckage it is) So I archived it and tucked it away somewhere deep within the confinds of my EHDD. I used to collect anything related to a sonic game when it was coming out (started around heroes, stopped after sonic '06.) My SH archive got currupt but my SHTH and STH06 folders are in tact. They have anything that I found like trailers, gameplay, screenshots, character renders, articles, guides, even stupid flash games if they could've been ripped. Didn't do the side games like rush, riders, or rivals for some jackass reason (maybe because I was trying to focus on the main games I don't know...)

I still have it. anyone interested? Its for research! :specialed: Ill just extract the pre-E3 and E3 stuff out of there.

And whats soo special about that GBA video rom?

15. Frozen Nitrogen

Frozen Nitrogen

Wouldn't the door have been easier? Wiki Sysop
    <!--quoteo(post=462309:date=Jun 2 2010, 03:49 AM:name=Lanzer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Lanzer @ Jun 2 2010, 03:49 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=462309">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I still have it. anyone interested? Its for research! :specialed: Ill just extract the pre-E3 and E3 stuff out of there.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Stick everything you have on the Wiki! That's what it's there for. :)

16. Lanzer

Lanzer

Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    <!--quoteo(post=462311:date=Jun 1 2010, 09:53 PM:name=Frozen Nitrogen)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Frozen Nitrogen @ Jun 1 2010, 09:53 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=462311">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=462309:date=Jun 2 2010, 03:49 AM:name=Lanzer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Lanzer @ Jun 2 2010, 03:49 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=462309">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I still have it. anyone interested? Its for research! :specialed: Ill just extract the pre-E3 and E3 stuff out of there.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Stick everything you have on the Wiki! That's what it's there for. :)
    <!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Alright ill start uploading. But something cought my eye when I retro-wiki'd SHTH:

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->For the English Version of the game, Sega took out the human's blood, changed the color of alien blood from red to green, edited the word 'piss' and put 'tick' instead (Sonic says this), and censored the scene when a GUN soldier shoots Maria, cutting out as Maria is shot and falls to the ground. Regardless, the ESRB website later updated the rating to E-10+, thus making it unanimous.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Does that mean all this material is in the japanese version?

17. Tiranno

Tiranno

Steveosaurus Rex Member
    <!--quoteo(post=462309:date=Jun 1 2010, 07:49 PM:name=Lanzer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Lanzer @ Jun 1 2010, 07:49 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=462309">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Adventure game voice acting<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I have been trying to prove this for so long! Please post this it is important to me.

18. Lanzer

Lanzer

Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    <!--quoteo(post=462337:date=Jun 1 2010, 11:14 PM:name=Tiranno)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tiranno @ Jun 1 2010, 11:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=462337">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=462309:date=Jun 1 2010, 07:49 PM:name=Lanzer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Lanzer @ Jun 1 2010, 07:49 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=462309">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Adventure game voice acting<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I have been trying to prove this for so long! Please post this it is important to me.

Explain plz? Don't quite understand what you mean...

19. Shakidna

Shakidna

Rehash Rampage Member
    I'm curious to see what they did for scenes where Eggman appeared, as I recall Deem Bristow having passed by the time of casting. Filler Japanese audio, irrelevant lines spliced from previous games, random sound bytes from across the disk a la Sonic Adventure 2 prototype?

I do remember Shadow spitting out 'What the hell?' as an expletive, instead of a place.

20. Tiranno

Tiranno

Steveosaurus Rex Member
    <!--quoteo(post=462344:date=Jun 1 2010, 08:34 PM:name=Lanzer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Lanzer @ Jun 1 2010, 08:34 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=462344">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=462337:date=Jun 1 2010, 11:14 PM:name=Tiranno)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tiranno @ Jun 1 2010, 11:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=462337">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=462309:date=Jun 1 2010, 07:49 PM:name=Lanzer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Lanzer @ Jun 1 2010, 07:49 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=462309">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Adventure game voice acting<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Explain plz? Don't quite understand what you mean...

Since I saw the footage way back when, I swore I heard Drummond as Sonic in an offscreen video. Since I made that claim, I have been called a liar for saying such things. Now with this footage, I can defend my claim.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.