All I want for Christmas is Sonic Shuffle 2

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by n00neimp0rtant, Dec 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. n00neimp0rtant

n00neimp0rtant

EYES ONLY Member
    South Park, PA
    Creation Kit (Skyrim mods and patches)
    (If you've <a href="http://info.sonicretro.org/Sonic_Shuffle" target="_blank">never heard of it</a>, it was essentially Mario Party, but with Sonic.)

My siblings and I still LOVE this game. It's one of those games that we "keep coming back to," just like Sonic CD and Crash Bandicoot 1 for me. We'll go months without playing it, pick it up one day, then play it for a month straight. For some reason, it just never gets old for us. Personally I see a great opportunity for Sega to bring it back on the Wii, even if motion-based mini games might get a bit gimmicky after a while. While there's talk of some new Mario + Sonic party game, I would doubt it would be a member of either the Mario Party franchise or a Shuffle sequel, but a game in the style of Shuffle would be a lot of fun imho.

I'm curious about how the rest of the community felt about Sonic Shuffle. If you played it, did you enjoy it? If not, did you intentionally not buy it, or were just unaware of its existence?

P.S. If you play it tomorrow, Christmas Eve, Lumina turns into NiGHTS =]

2. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

Emerald Dragoon Moderator
    Hampton, VA
    The S Factor: Sonia and Silver
    I played the hell out of that game. I'd be all over a port to XBL (though I'd hope they'd fix up the load times). I also wouldn't mind a new character or four.

Also the NiGHTs thing only works on the year 2000 IIRC

3. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    <!--quoteo(post=540952:date=Dec 23 2010, 09:33 PM:name=Aquaslash)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Aquaslash @ Dec 23 2010, 09:33 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=540952">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'd be all over a port to XBL (though I'd hope they'd fix up the load times).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I was just about to say I've never played the game but would definitely get it if it was put on Xbox's Arcade. Seems like a nice fit to me, I'd love to play this game, particularly as it's the one Sonic game on the Dreamcast that "got away" from me as a child. Never heard of it until it was too late..

4. I loved it when it first came out, but then I bought it again last year and tried having a bunch of my bros over to play and because of the load times and lack of real fun it wound up being more of a chore than a party.

5. It was a fun game, But only with all four players. Even on the easiest setting, The computers aren't fun to play with and you end up losing to them. and because of that It kinda stops being fun. That and the fact that we only play on the forest or Beach maps. The other ones are too confusing for a casual playthrough.
    The battle system was kinda cool, and if they played their cards right (Pun intended) they could have based a simple RPG off of it.

We just finally unlocked the hidden characters (by downloading a save off of Gamefaqs) and it is kinda disappointing that they don't do much.

Now if they fixed the load times and added a good ammount of characters and Interesting boards, It would work.

6. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

O'Doyle rules! Member
    GA
    I bought it as a birthday present for a friend in...2002 or so (so it was rather inexpensive), and eventually got it back when he traded me all of his Dreamcast stuff for a copy of Gears of War. I totally got the better deal. I mean...I got the first two Tony Hawks, both Adventure games, Crazy Taxi, Soul Calibur, and some weird first person thing I've never played called Soul Fighter (and many more), and he got gritty-realism tough guy shooter bullshit.

As for the game itself...it's just not for me. I usually gravitate more toward single player games, and as we all know, trying to play Sonic Shuffle by yourself is hardly a good time. I've never been too big on party games either, even with a bunch of friends around, so it's more me than Sonic Shuffle, but...whatever. I'm glad I've got it in my collection for posterity's sake (and just in case I round up the fellas of course), but for now it just sits in a drawer, getting less attention than even Sonic '06. I will say I liked the card system (much better than Mario Party's block-die), and viewing your hand on the VMU was a cool touch.

7. Chibisteven

Chibisteven

US
    When I first got it. I played it nonstop. Eventually, I unlocked the sound test and ripped the game's soundtrack. (Has to be redone due to Signel-to-Noise Ratio issues). It was fun, but then it got boring after I finished the story. I hardly ever had any real friends to play it with, though. I'm not really looking forward to a sequal of this game as the first one was too flawed.

- A Word of Caution: The soundtrack of Sonic Shuffle that I ripped and burned to CD, I played at my grandparents house once. It apperantly annoyed my uncle so bad that he was like "Turn that shit off" and rudely took it out of the boombox while I was chilling. No one else had any issues.

8. plushifoxed

plushifoxed

stubborn and sparkly Oldbie
    hell (chicago (same difference))
    photography, graphic design, being gay
    <a href="http://info.sonicretro.org/Sonic_and_the_Secret_Rings#Party" target="_blank">They DID make a Sonic Shuffle 2, though.</a>
    :V

9. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    <!--quoteo(post=540985:date=Dec 23 2010, 09:33 PM:name=Supakitsune)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Supakitsune @ Dec 23 2010, 09:33 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=540985">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><a href="http://info.sonicretro.org/Sonic_and_the_Secret_Rings#Party" target="_blank">They DID make a Sonic Shuffle 2, though.</a>
    :V<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I was gonna make that joke. ;_;

10. Vitiman

Vitiman

Sonic Shuffle? It was alright, but it felt too slow for my tastes. If they could make it faster and more exciting, then I'd be definitely up for a sequel.

11. Billy

Billy

RIP Oderus Urungus Member
    Colorado, USA
    Indie games
    If they do make a sequel, the CPUs better not blatantly cheat like the first one. :colbert:

Not that I think Shuffle should get a sequel: I never recall having much fun with this game, not even during the minigames (and I used to play it quite a bit). It was basically just a quick buck to be had between Sonic Adventure 1 and 2, at least to me.

12. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Never played it, but I do want to try it out. If they ported it to XBLA or PSN, I'd buy it. It would be nice if they fixed the cheating CPUs if they did. (though I know SEGA wouldn't do that)

13. Sonic Shuffle was something that I've always wanted to play on ever since I saw a picture of it in a magazine years ago as I was so into Mario Party 2 at the time, but I was discouraged from getting it by all the weak reviews it was getting. It didn't completely stop me from getting it though, and when I finally got a Dreamcast along with the game in April it's actually not that bad. An XBLA/PS3 rerelease or a sequel would definitely be a treat to see, since I think Lumina and Void need more love.

And for those who want to see the NiGHTS cameo I've put up a video (along with some silly annotations) of it:

<!--id1--><object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-o3WCFQ9hDs&"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-o3WCFQ9hDs&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object><!--id2-->

14. I'd buy it again if they ported it to XBL. I'd actually forgot all about it :/

I got it for my 9th Birthday, played the hell out of it until SA2 came out.

I feel really old :(

15. Volpino

Volpino

Things are looking up! Member
    A secret. >:3
    I don't like party games and never cared to try Shuffle, though it does have really nice art.

I might try it if it were ported to the PSN and given online capabilities though. If only because the art is so attractive to me. It's a shame they used it on a party game than a mainstream one.

16. Chibisteven

Chibisteven

US
    <!--quoteo(post=541182:date=Dec 25 2010, 01:00 AM:name=Billy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Billy @ Dec 25 2010, 01:00 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=541182">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If they do make a sequel, the CPUs better not blatantly cheat like the first one. :colbert:<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

LMAO! Yeah, that would be nice if the CPUs were not like that.

17. ExtendedAffinity

ExtendedAffinity

I remember this game. It was fun and all, but frustrating due to the previously mentioned cheating AI. If it wasn't for that, it would have been great in my opinion. I don't recall significant loading times, but I played it back when it came out so I probably just don't remember.

But it sure was a neat game and I'd also want a Sonic Shuffle 2.

18. Mr. Mash

Mr. Mash

All fanbases are awful Member
    drawing
    I got it on release, and my brother and I played it quite a lot. We found the main board-game sections a little boring, but the mini games were really fun.
    I haven't played it in a while though, but I love the cel shading. It'd be cool to see a cel shaded Sonic platformer <span style='color:#000000;background:#000000'>not you, Sonic 4</span>

19. Jaseman

Jaseman

The programmer has a nap! Hold out! Programmer! Member
    <a href="http://www.snesorama.us/board/showpost.php?p=386213&postcount=52" target="_blank">A cool guy named TuxTheWise made a repack of this without the terrible loading times. Apperently, it was a badly-placed video file.</a>

20. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

Emerald Dragoon Moderator
    Hampton, VA
    The S Factor: Sonia and Silver
    I'm going to try that when Rapidshare stops being a POS

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.