don't click here

Alex Day - Sonic doesn't need a story

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Namagem, Aug 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Namagem

Namagem

USA
    http://alexdaymusic.com/sonic/

Alex Day is an up and coming indie musician, who recently released a three-song album on I-tunes and for free on his website. In addition to singing the complaints about sonic, he's also made a song extolling the original pokemon games, and one complaining about mario cart wii. He is (in my opinion, of course) a talented musician.

2. "Sonic doesn't need a story"

I couldn't agree more with this sentence. I didn't particularly like the song, but I share a lot of the opinions it expresses.

3. Mr. Pictures

Mr. Pictures

Oldbie
    I agree with him, but that song is awful. I wonder if his opinion we'll be taken in higher regard because he's a musician? People can be easily swayed.

4. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    I've listened to this guy for 4 or 5 months. Pretty cool music he has.

5. Actually had more fun reading the lyrics than I did listening to the song.

6. BuffaloWilder

BuffaloWilder

One of these men cannot be right. Member
    That's silly. Sonic just needs a simple story, not a lack of one.

7. GT Koopa

GT Koopa

Elgin, IL
    Flicky Turncoat DX, T.L.W.S. Vs M.G.W.
    D=

And here I thought it was Alex Kidd's birthday.

8. ShenziSixaxis

ShenziSixaxis

This guy needs a better hobby. I listened to the Sonic one and was rather appalled. The guy isn't a fan of Sonic, and clearly isn't a fan of other franchise's. No idiot insults something they like/love such as this.

9. test-object

test-object

By Torm, no! This is terrible! I... I had no idea Member
    You are pending approval on the wroooong site, mate :p

Eh. It's a song asking for fan-service, not better games. Not really noteworthy, nor that catchy.

10. Gerkuman

Gerkuman

Northampton, UK
    3rd Year University Project (Not Sonic related)
    It's always amazed me how people tend to get annoyed by the little things, and ignore the elephant in the room. To me, at least, the elephant is that the Camera hasn't changed since SA1, and the controls never seem to work right. Everything else is gravy. Also, the stories haven't been that bad. Or at least, haven't been that bad when they haven't gone over the top into angst or confusion. Sonic Adventure 2 may have had a lot of story, but it was easy to follow and didn't try to force an emotion from us.

But, well, this is probably a little off topic. Alex is entitled to his opinion, of course, but I don't think he's in a position where he can speak for most sonic fans. (I don't think anyone is. We're all fractured into little groups of opinion, nowadays.)

11. Ranger

Ranger

BBQ flickies Member
    Canuckistan
    Sonic and the Rings of Order RPG
    His other two gaming-related songs are "ffff blue shells" and "the original 151 Pokemon were the best".

Hmm.

12. trakker

trakker

The guy that's been warned! Member
    "Don't want Blaze the cat"

Well, now he lost me haha, cant it be, y'know, Big

13. To me the elephant in the room is that 3D Sonic is not nearly as good as well balanced (platforming vs. speed) 2D Sonic. But after spending so much time making mediocre 3D titles they don't even know how to make 2D games anymore, and have to resort to other game development companies to make them (and they are not making a good job either). Hell, even the watered down Master System/Game Gear games are more fun than the current 2D games.

Even though I have played games since Adventure, the amazing thing I knew as Sonic the Hedgehog died with the Mega Drive/Genesis. Those are the only games I actually love, and every game since Adventure has been nothing more than a simple pastime at most (most of them I couldn't even bother playing all the way through).

He lost me with "Amy Rose was an abomination". She may not be the most awesome character ever (and I actually feel that part of the problem with new Sonic is that everything has to be awesome and cool), but fits well as the mandatory cute girlfriend for the protagonist.

14. MarkoMan

MarkoMan

In memory of Dreds... Member
    Queens, NY
    Sonic 2 Turbo
    I loved the song.
    I don't agree with everything it said, but I love it.
    It's not that Sonic doesn't need a story, but at the surface, if you compare the 2D games, which didn't really go into a story much, to the 3D games, which does go deeper into a story, and you see that the 2D games are overall better, then that argument could possibly be made.

Once again, I think that the modern 2D titles are better than "mediocre," but I guess that's just me.

Amy? I don't like Amy. At all. And I blame Sonic Adventure 1 for it.

Blaze? I like Blaze. I think she's a character that deserves more spotlight. Too bad her continuity has been semi-ruined with Sonic 0Shit.

Shadow... oh boy... I just don't like the direction Sega went with Shadow. I think that he should have been the "playable villain" character, rather than the "anti-hero." Playable villain Shadow would have been awesome.

And Sonic's been racing cars since Sonic Drift. lol.

On a side note, I agreed with more of his other two game related songs than I did for this one. I hate Mario Kart Wii with a passion, and the original 151 Pokemon are the best.

15. SomeSortOfRobot

SomeSortOfRobot

Mid-Southern US
    http://legendoflucy.com
    Right. It's more of an issue of HOW the stories are told rather than the stories in the first place.

Digging this guys music though. Gotta love chiptunes.

16. Quexinos

Quexinos

Since 1997 Oldbie
    ROFL that's what I thought too XD

and yes Sonic needs to take a cue from Mario. Neither one of them need a story, neither of them had a story before the 3D era and look how well it's worked for Mario.

17. Cool lyrics, but the song is kinda boring. He's phoning the vocals in...where's the passion?

18. SomeSortOfRobot

SomeSortOfRobot

Mid-Southern US
    http://legendoflucy.com
    Sonic Passion? That's another board, mac.

19. Endri

Endri

Officer I don't have my drivers license with me. C Tech Member
    I don't know if it were the lyrics, or the way the song was structurized, but this song made me laugh, and I'm not sure if in a good way either.

Also, I found it funny how it keeps saying "Don't want Shadow" all the way through the end. :v:

20. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    What do you mean? speaking his mind isn't against the rules and won't allow him membership. were all entitled to our opinions "just as long as were not dicks about it" as the rules state.

But I agree with the rest. the song is boring and just sound like summed up modern sonic bashing through song. and I happen to like blaze shes the only girl character who doesn't bore me and can go super mode!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.