don't click here

Activision-published US release of SADX PC

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MarzSyndrome, Jul 10, 2013.

1. MarzSyndrome

MarzSyndrome

Everything is going to the beat. Member
    I always thought the 2003/04 PC version was Europe-bound only but apparently it had a limited run in the U.S. as well.

I also read that it was supposedly released without the cumbersome copy protection present in the Europe release which expected you to insert both CDs at once so they could be scanned.

It'd be pretty cool to have an official, non-"scene" no-cd executable if this is indeed true. :)

I've eBayed around and found no-one with a U.S. version willing to ship worldwide, and a lot of the U.S. bound sellers appear to be selling the Sold Out budget reissue anyway. And I've "naughty-googled" and could only find what appears to be the European version.

So who can provide some information about this release? :)

2. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    Yes it exists, I have owned it since Christmas 2004, and the US PC disc scans on the wiki are mine. It does indeed have significantly less copy protection, it only checks for Amy's JP voice effect file on Disc 2.
    I have personally created a hacked version of the main executable which does not require a disc, which required a whopping 1-byte modification. If you plan on doing any SADX hacking I strongly recommend that you download it. Of course, you'll need to acquire all the rest of the game's data files from some other source (they're the same in every version).

3. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    The DRM seems more like a bug that makes it so it doesn't recognize the second disc at first, after which it asks for the first disc, after which it asks for the second disc again and it actually starts the game like it's meant to.

4. MarzSyndrome

MarzSyndrome

Everything is going to the beat. Member
    Thanks for the executable, MM! :) I'm going to assume this is the only file that's different from the European release, right?

Speaking of DRM, it appears GamersGate and Amazon.com sell a DRM-free version of SADX 2010/11.