don't click here

About the "Eiosian Spheres" from Sonic 3

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Markgilst, Nov 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. They are clearly a prototype version of the Valdi System in Ristar. Here's what I mean:

Play Ristar (Japanese version)
    Go to passwords
    Type in Valdi
    You can see the valdi system, and like the eiosian spheres they can be zoomed in and out and controlled with the 2p control.
    Shit bricks.

2. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    Hunh. Interesting.

3. Glisp

Glisp

That one weird guy that does stuff. Member
    Bloomington, IN
    None at the moment I'm afraid.
    One problem with your theory: If I recall correctly, Ristar was made in 1995 and Sonic 3 was made in 1994. This type of shit isn't making me shit bricks. Its making me shit "Oh my god why did he post this as it was a pointless theory with no true supporting data?"

No offense kid. I was like you once. (and probably still am.) My suggestion is to do more research and less thinking. Or do research and think about it afterwords.

4. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

Your friendly neighbourhood lemming. Oldbie
    Why does the date matter? Reminds of the kinda linear thinking that makes people dismiss the MJ/Sonic 3 thing due to the release years.

5. It was just a thought, they both look really similar so I believe that the red spheres were just some kind of prototype version of the valdi system thing in Ristar. It makes even more sense because Sonic 3 was made the same year Ristar was being developed. (the prototypes of ristar were made in 94.)

6. Glisp

Glisp

That one weird guy that does stuff. Member
    Bloomington, IN
    None at the moment I'm afraid.
    If I would have made this topic you people would be all over me and calling me obscene names. Don't say its not true.

7. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

Your friendly neighbourhood lemming. Oldbie
    Whats wrong with throwing a theory out there? We all occasionally have brainwaves we have to share. If everyone posted a theory that was completely rock solid with a whole ton of evidence, there would be no need to be replies... wait that's what the wiki is for.

One of the main points of this message board is to discuss possibilities. Trying to make this into some kind of personal matter doesn't help either.

8. Xkeeper

Xkeeper

lgkdfvlbjepasvdjzcvpaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa Researcher
    the bone zone
    current-project-fart
    Nice strawman, especially on halloween.

Seriously, cut it out or I'm going to suspend you. Giving evidence about how it might not be likely (re:dates) is fine. Pulling this namecalling shit isn't going to cut it.

9. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    Um....
    So...your point? :P

10. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    I don't know about "clearly." It's possible that you can draw a correlation between the two, but making strong claims such as this—especially without clearly illustrating your point—is hardly proper conduct. Never claim something as fact unless you have overwhelming evidence that can prove it without a shadow of a doubt to be based in truth.

That said, can someone make a video or something that can illustrate this better? Sonic 3 and Ristar are hardly the first games to ever have spheres of varying size, let alone elements that can be manipulated by the second controller; I'd like to get a better look at this to see if there's any substantial basis for this claim.

That's not true at all. Any theory can seemingly have tons of supporting evidence and still end up supporting a flawed system of thought; after all, we originally thought beyond a shadow of a doubt that Dust Hill couldn't possibly be the name of the desert level in Sonic 2, but as it turned out it most certainly was. The proper interpretations of "evidence" that we'd had before that didn't come to fruition until Yasuhara's testimony brought things into perspective properly.

However, the point more than anything else—a theory should not take into account possibility as much as it should consider plausibility. Strictly speaking, anything is possible; this has no bearing on whether or not it's a plausible conclusion to reach, however. It's possible that the world has ended several times and past incarnations of the human race had psychic powers and the ability to fly, for example, but no tangible evidence points towards it ever having been a plausible occurrence.

Ultimately, theory relies on evidence to hold water. The only thing wrong with a theory is one that has absolutely nothing to support it other than conjecture... like Tails being the guardian of the Master Emerald. I admit that in this particular case there is a possible correlation to be made between the two games, but nothing is particularly solid at the moment; as such, I think it's best to avoid terms such as this "clearly" being a "prototype" for something in Ristar, a completely unrelated game in more than one way. Given the scope of things, it's likely only a coincidence that both games have spherical objects that can be altered by the second controller, but I'm interested in seeing both compared side by side regardless.

I'm sure this is an interesting comparison, but I severely doubt there's any connection between the two games—especially based on content not readily accessible in either game.

By the way...
    Not only do I agree, but I am suspending him. I'm tired of him parading his unwarranted self-importance all over the forums.

11. evilhamwizard

evilhamwizard

Researcher
    I do remember the star system at the end credits of the oldest prototype of Ristar that we have actually having something similar to this. I'll see if I can get a video later on.

But either way, can't you just look at the huge symbol list that was accidentally included with s3&k PC to decipher what it was actually classified as? You might not be able to find it, but I don't think I've seen anyone try.

12. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Now that's a good idea, I just gave it a quick try, with no luck though.
    You can help!

13. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    It's not the 2nd player that zooms in and out, it's the first player, although 2nd player allows the player to move the system around.

Nice connection between the games, though.

14. MathUser

MathUser

3rd top wiki contributor Researcher
    The valdi system in Ristar is way smaller than the spheres seen in Sonic 3. It could still be a valid theory though as the size could have changed over time.

15. The Moogs

The Moogs

Oldbie
    I think the idea was they two objects have the same sort of behavior, and probably similar code in the sense.

16. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Hang on, does this mean we should call them System Spheres now? Or Valdi Spheres? After all, there was a previous topic detailing the fact that Eiosian was made up by the Sonic Community, and that we should rename them with a more logical term.

17. T.Q.

T.Q.

The Sims 2, Tim Drake [Robin] Member
    Quick Google search on "Valdi Spheres" brings no results about those test spheres. Basically, it's unknown, except for this forum. "System Spheres" is too general a term to direct the results to those test spheres. Might as well stick to "Eiosian Spheres" because it brings up a more direct search result, just until further notice of an official name.

18. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    I wasn't saying there WERE named "Valdi Spheres", just if we should begin refering to as such, seeing as Eiosian doesn't have a proper term, but Valdi might use similar coding as pointed out by Commadoo. I only suggested System Sphere because I'm unsure if another system other than Valdi uses the effect too.

19. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    We shouldn't change anything, because so far this theory hasn't proven itself as anything short of unsubstantiated.

20. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    Ristar is based on the engine used for Sonic, right? I'm guessing it's based off the version from Sonic 3?

The "evidence" against it was a mock up screen shot, and a few mistaken magazines. It was obvious from the beta's level select screen why they would have made this mistake.

I suppose the best way to find out for sure would be to see if the Valdi Spheres use the same code as the unknown object. Regardless, given that the unknown object has properties similar to the Valdi System, "Valdi Spheres" would be a good name. At lest then it would be based off something as opposed to nothing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.