About that whole Sonic X-Treme Debacle

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Mask of Destiny, Sep 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mask of Destiny

Mask of Destiny

Tech Member
    If you look closely at the screenshot in the assemblerforums post you'll notice that it's exactly the same as one of the screenshots on this page: http://sost.emulationzone.org/sonic_xtreme/other/index.htm except that the HUD is missing and instead there's a level name display and a Sonic Xtreme logo.

Now this doesn't necessarily mean anything. If that is indeed where the level begins it's theoretically possible to take an identical screenshot; however, without a second unique screenshot I feel a bit hesitant to belive this was legit especially with the high price being asked.

Also somewhat suspicious is the picture of a Mega CD-R when typically Saturn CD-Rs as seen here: http://www.segagagadomain.com/saturn6/saturn-cdr.htm were used for Saturn development. Again this doesn't necessarily mean anything. Both are essentially standard CD-Rs so there was nothing stopping a Saturn developer from using a left-over Mega CD-R, but it does seem a bit suspicious.

Sorry for dragging back a topic from a locked and archived topic, but I've been out of the loop for a while so I didn't know this whole thing was going on.

2. Ultima

Ultima

Games Publisher Tech Member
    London, England
    Publishing mobile games!
    They're both arguments that were seen and used. The rebuttals were that TheRedEye knew it was real, and that some people had seen videos.

3. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

Your friendly neighbourhood lemming. Oldbie
    Not only that but the clouds in the sky are totally different, and the flicky's aren't in quite the same place either.

4. Hivebrain

Hivebrain

Administrator
    53.4N, 1.5W
    HiveView
    I've seen a video. The seller would've had to fake the entire game, not just a screenshot.

5. Neo Majin

Neo Majin

New England / Virginia
    Very little thanks to poor computer access
    If we assume it is a hoax, the video could be the only thing had... Say, he has the video (gained from some source), and uses it as proof that he has the game...

Though personally I don't believe it's a hoax...

6. superstarCSB

superstarCSB

snootch Member
    Lawrence, Kansas
    I probably should get back to work on my site someday...
    I'm hoping that someday the community as a whole will get to see that video.

7. LocalH

LocalH

roxoring your soxors Tech Member
    wouldn't you like to know
    Super Guitar Hero II
    The collector who purchased it is supposed to have some really good video equipment, and from what I understand, they are willing to supply the scene with high-quality video of the game running.

8. TheRedEye

TheRedEye

Researcher
    He watermarked my email address onto the video, and I don't want that spread everywhere (imagine all the stupid emails I'd get!). But LocalH is right, the buyer is a really nice guy and will be giving us high-res video and shots.

9. Vangar

Vangar

If he was a really nice guy he would give us the ISO.

10. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Texas
    lol
    Watermark over it. Easy enough. :P

11. Aurochs

Aurochs

Единый, могучий Советский Союз! Tech Member
    Whatever catches my fancy
    No. We may lose importiant information if he does that.

12. Mask of Destiny

Mask of Destiny

Tech Member
    I knew I should have read the whole thread and not the first and last few pages. Oh well, that's what laziness gets me.

Flickies look like they're in the same place to me, but it's hard to say because of the wonky aspect ratio. You're right about the clouds though.

I can see why the collector wouldn't want to rip and release an ISO though. Blank Mega CD-Rs and Saturn CD-Rs are relatively cheap and could allow an unscrupulous person to make quite a few fakes and in the process reduce the value of the true copy.

13. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Texas
    lol
    Not really, I could do it pretty easy, in theory. Depends how the watermark is positioned.

14. Hivebrain

Hivebrain

Administrator
    53.4N, 1.5W
    HiveView
    The Flickies don't actually move.

The watermark, on the other hand, does move.

15. PicklePower

PicklePower

Wiki Sysop
    Watermark = bad excuse

16. TheRedEye

TheRedEye

Researcher
    The watermark is constantly scrolling text across the whole screen. You can't easily cover that up.

Also, I'd love to hear whatever conspiracy theory the poster above me has for making a "bad excuse." Please, share with the class.

17. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Texas
    lol
    Yeah, that doesn't help. The only way to fix that would be to cut off the bottom of the video, which would make it worse, or to get the original video before it was watermarked.

I think SonicChao believes you should give it out watermarked anyway. After all, your email is freely available at Lost Levels. :P

18. TheRedEye

TheRedEye

Researcher
    I don't have a problem with my email address being known by people who SHOULD be contacting me. If my email address is associated with this Sonic X-Treme video, I'm never going to stop getting "Is this still for sale???" and "Can I have the email address of the winner?" emails. I still get them daily. The best one was when some sonic cult guy tried to BRIBE me for the buyer's identity.

19. Kampfer

Kampfer

How much did you get? *shot*

It's kind of sad some people would go that low though.

20. Elusive

Elusive

Sparkster the Rocket Knight Member
    OK. How much is this worth then?

Exactly. We only think it's worth $2k because Anonymous Seller said so. As I've said before, protos (if it is a proto) have no real value, as they're unfinished games.

We've been taken for a ride, and got the shoddy compensation prize, basically.

And besides, now we know what's on the disc from this soon-to-appear video, is the disc worth anything now? Now we know its contents, anyway?

Another thing. How do we know this disc isn't a fake? By the look of the Mega-CDR and Saturn disc proto, this could have happened already.

*watches the nonexistent value drop*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.