A weird kind of freeze

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Chris Highwind, Sep 15, 2011.

1. Chris Highwind

Chris Highwind

Statesville, NC
    Slacking
    Ok, the main offenders of this is Minecraft and a space-sim game called Evochron Mercenary.

Minecraft:
    Everything works fine, but after several minutes, the video will freeze. However, I can still hear the game running, and can still interact with the game, but I'm unable to see anything other than the point the video froze.

Evochron Mercenary:
    Everything works fine, but after several minutes, the video freezes upon entering the Shipyard, which is crucial for ship upgrades. Alt-tabbing allows the video to run again, but only as long as the game is not the active window. Once the window is active again, the video will stop again.

Running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, with an Nvidia GeForce GT 525M, and 6-8 GBs of RAM, if that helps.

2. Elratauru

Elratauru

Little Shiny Emurralds Member
    First of all, check your drivers. Frozing video is a common problem in some nvidia onboard drivers. Update them to the latest and try again. The second thing you can do is making sure the PC is not THAT hot :P Just in case.

3. Chris Highwind

Chris Highwind

Statesville, NC
    Slacking
    Ok, the Evochron Mercenary problem was fixed, but not the Minecraft problem. I still get a frozen video after updating the graphics drivers. And I have a cooling pad under my laptop so it shouldn't be that hot. I think the Minecraft problem might be a problem with Java and 64-bit.