A (undocumented?) Glitch in Ice Cap (S3&K)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by The Gremmar Warden, Jun 24, 2021.

1. Hello everyone, I was playing Sonic 3 & Knuckles on Sega Genesis Classics for Steam and was messing around with Tails when I discovered a glitch involving flying Sonic into a sideways-facing spring. I hadn't heard of this glitch before on info.sonicretro.org and I couldn't find any mention of it on the internet so I thought you guys might be interested. I recorded a video of on Gens 11 to show it in action. Has anyone seen this before, or know what might be going on?

Happy 30th!

• Informative Informative x 6
    • List
  2. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    The right moment.

upload_2021-6-24_19-11-17.png

3. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    I don't know if it's related, but it's very similar to this glitch in Sandopolis @1:09:49 :

I'm wondering if interacting with multiple objects at the same time is a key factor. Both cases seem to involve Tails dropping Sonic onto an object, but clearly that's not enough (I spent days working out how to reproduce the Sandopolis glitch and the only thing I figured out was "do exactly what I show in the video").

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  4. Oh, that's interesting. Was the caterkiller the object in that case? Also, awesome video! Even tasvideos doesn't have that amount of glitches...

5. This also works on Sonic Jam too. Nice find, OP!

[​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 4
    • List
  6. Quickman

Quickman

be attitude for gains Tech Member
    :x
    omg porjcet
    The thing that stands out to me in this video is that Sonic jumps into the sandfall (at 1:09:40) but doesn't exit it normally - instead, Tails grabs him and takes him over to the moving platform. You can tell something is already up because rather than being carried upwards by the platform it slides out from underneath him so he falls into the quicksand in a default standing animation.

That said it's strange that it seems to require such a specific setup in this video but the OP's procedure is comparatively simple - just Tails carrying Sonic and hitting a spring at the right angle.

7. RibShark

RibShark

I remember seeing a video of this happening in Hidden Palace Zone quite a few years ago (same method, hitting a sideways spring while being carried by Tails), but I couldn't replicate it when I tried.

8. Palas

Palas

Don't lose your temper so quickly. Member
    Interesting! The game visibly stutters, as if very confused as to what it should do next lol