don't click here

A new Sonic ability

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by VB.NET, May 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

On my butt in front of the computer. Where else?
    I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    I can see some pretty nifty possibilities for this idea in 3D as well, and I think it'd make a cool Sonic-only ability since his superior natural agility is supposed to be one of his key strengths (even Shadow doesn't have that; his speed comes from his jet-skates). It'd also be a much more interesting way to give Sonic more upper-tier exploration ability than a Homing Attack across bland enemy bridges could ever hope to be. And all it'd take is assigning a physics-based wall-run button to one of the shoulder triggers. Provided the physics were actually good and the move didn't control like crap, anyway, which I guess is the real sticking point.

EDIT: Wow, you're right... Mirror's Edge 2D has a lot of aspects that are really fitting for a Sonic game. That's awesome. Is there a console version of this or is it strictly a Flash game?

2. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    It doesn't even need a wall-running button. All it needs is for you to hit/jump on the wall at a distinct angle that will allow you to transfer your momentum to the wall. That's all there is to it.

In fact, ME2D proved that for a 2D Sonic it wouldn't even exactly need that much of anything in controls, as it would also be moves set to a button never really used: up on the D-Pad / thumbstick/ arrow keys. Up would be used not just to look up but to run on walls that you see as what seems to be part of the background, and run up sides of walls if momentum is transferred correctly; and every other function would remain just as it has always in the Genesis games. Of course now I'm talking 2D when the topic specifically said 3D, so I might just keep it down now.

3. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

On my butt in front of the computer. Where else?
    I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    I'm wondering if that's entirely feasible in 3D, honestly. I just think there should be some kind of button you hold to tell the game specifically when you want to do it so that you don't accidentally end up in a wall-run when doing so might be either annoying or hazardous to your health.

I can see it being a totally automatic physics response in 2D where the situation is a bit simpler, but in 3D things are always more complicated.

4. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    It works rather well in Mirror's Edge actually, and I don't think it would be any harder to do in third-person; in fact I'm sure it'd be easier.

5. Herm the Germ

Herm the Germ

Hmm, not bad. Well done, doctor! Member
    Dresden, Saxony, Germany
    MIDI-to-SMPS-conversions, mostly. Takin' requests, too.
    A faster-than-usual spindash, essentially allowing the saw-through-enemies-without-stopping from the classics at a higher risk of falling into one form of danger or another.

Or insta-shield making a comeback'd be nice, too. 8D

6. The whole Mirrors Edge type physics would work really well. Obviously it'd have to be in 3rd person and would take a lot of skill to program correctly.
    It would actually allow for some cool variation between Sonic and Shadow's gameplay.
    Shadow could just be a much more aggressive version of Sonic, that controlls like a very fast tank. His jet-skates could mean less precise control. His chaos control would mean more power.
    Sonic could be faster and more agile. Less aggressive,more controllable and monouvrable.

To break it down

Sonic - Fast, agile with precise control. Limited power but very fast. (special abilities unique to him)
    Shadow - Fast, limited control due to skates. "bulldozer". A lot of power but limited speed and controll (special abilities unique to him)

It would be a god way to produce variety and still keep the game fast.

7. Bluetension

Bluetension

New Jersey
    Sonic Blackout (fangame)
    I would probably do something along the lines of a spindash that you can preset directions and movements and save them for later in the game where you need to get past an obstacle at a certain speed and pace and can't stop and look at what you need to do.

8. Hybrid Project Alpha

Hybrid Project Alpha

It's what's for dinner Oldbie
    Douglas, NB
    Getting a life
    Give him the Prince of Persia's rewind ability

:3

9. Hmm.

Just off the top of my head. Maybe some type of power up where when you are Spin Dashing, you'll hold back and a button so Sonic can cancel his breaks while still rolling, and a short burst of sparks will kill a nearby enemy. Idk :\

10. Kyuu

Kyuu

Memory Access Violation Member
    I'll ditto everyone who said Parkour so far :v:

In all seriousness though, a 3D Sonic game where you can navigate the environment like Mirror's Edge would be awesome. Not sure if it would work in 3rd-person, though.

11. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    The ability to suck the rectum back in after a prolapse is a feature the games have been sorely lacking since Heroes.

Besides that, new abilities would only serve to further complicate matters when the games are convoluted enough as it is. Sonic Adventure's control scheme and move pool were the pinnacle of the series. The only addition I can think of that'd actually stand to improve gameplay would be an insta-shield that doubles Sonic's attack radius as a replacement for the homing attack. It's the perfect solution; it combines the satisfaction of actually bouncing on enemies with the ease of use necessary to keep from alienating the precious and indispensable kiddy portion of the fanbase. Not to mention it opens the door for the sort of maneuverability that SRB2 exhibits- bouncing in that game is, without exaggeration, one of the most satisfactory experiences attainable in all of gaming. Sonic needs to move like this.

So long as we're on the subject, I really would like to emphasize the fact that the game's archaic engine is the only thing keeping SRB2 from being the perfect Sonic game. It's a shame that the relatively complex controls (and the associated steep learning curve necessary to be able to utilize Sonic's full potential) make it completely unsuitable for play on any platform other than a PC, meaning proper Sonic could never feel this right, even if Sonic Team were somehow passionate enough to attempt to match the game's brilliance.

12. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    I don't know, to me it seems like SRB2 has too much of a learning curve, and the fact that there isn't any slopes or anything in the game to make it feel Sonic-y; although that isn't the fault of the game but actually just the engine it's built off.

13. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    Yes there is. The two most important traits: The flow and momentum. I don't think there's a single 3D platformer in existence that does it better, which is all the more remarkable when you consider than A.J. Freda almost certainly attained these qualities through sheer happenstance (he hardly ever really knew what he was doing, it seems). The level design may or may not be "Sonic-y", depending on what you're looking for, but it's all fantastic and comes closer to the original games than Sega's own attempts ever have.

But yeah, people seldom ever give the game enough time to really appreciate it. The more time and love you put into it, the more it gives back.

14. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    Awesome idea. In fact...

Sonic Team could make Sonic's prolapse a bouncy one! :D Killing enemies by bouncing on them with a prolapsed bowel would be the best game idea ever.

15. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

A completely manual bouncing trip 3D Sonic is either way too difficult or an absolute pace-killer. I'm aware that SRB2 video is showing it, but it just doesn't work without feeling forced. Replace the homing-attack with a sort of guided jump that just directs you towards enemies without changing your pace you've got a winner.

16. Yes but wouldn't that make it too easy?
    Then again the homing attack is easy mode any way.
    The bouncing on heads only really works in 2D. Sure it works with shit like Mario, but he doesn't run at ridiculous speeds.

Just leave the Homing Attack formula in for the 3D games. It will keep it streamlined and whatnot. Getting an "Insta-sheild" type move to work in 3D, I'm presuming, would be difficult.

17. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Short range, and it wouldn't be able change your direction completely like the homing attack does. It would just give you the ability to bounce, but you'd still have make sure you were going the right way and everything. Whereas the homing attack actually extends your jumping distance, this would do no such thing.

18. Chimpo

Chimpo

Why is Tekken 6 afraid of Tekken 7? Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Aiming for Genbu!
    Do you like jumping on small fast moving enemies in 3D games?

19. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    So...

?

20. Afti

Afti

ORIGINAL MACHINE Member
    The ability to rip a hole in space and appear about three meters away.

No, seriously. The ability to warp across short distances would be very useful; you could avoid troublesome enemies entirely, or move through barriers... It'd need some sort of disincentive (maybe making it cost Rings?) but would be very handy, and require intelligent use to be beneficial. Certainly better than BOOST WOO YEAH WOO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.