don't click here

A little something from SK into S1

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by jman2050, Jun 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jman2050

jman2050

Teh Sonik Haker Tech Member
    Go to LZ1 via level select, choose one of the power-up boxes near the beginning, then double jump. It's not complete by any means, but it's a start :)

http://www.cgi101.com/~jman2050/s1built.bin

Code later possibly.

2. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    That will be awesome once it's finished.

3. jman2050

jman2050

Rom has been updated. Added?

- The screen now locks when you use the fire dash
    - The bubble bounce is in and works perfectly. You can even bounce multiple times
    - Magnetism. SK style ;)
    - Water shield keeps you from drowning or picking up air bubbles.

Remember, eggman box is fire, S box is lightning, and goggles box is water. Have fun.

EDIT - slight update again. A bugfix to the fire dash (and Sonic 1 in general). Remember how if you were moving fast through the air and you pressed forward, you' suddenly decelerate to 'maximum' speed? Now the game won't do that anymore. Thank SK for that change :). Also, all three boxes in GHZ1 now, in case you want to play with it there. The boxes in LZ1 are still there though :P

4. jman2050

jman2050

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

:(

5. Rarmander

Rarmander

Poetaster Member
    An Empyreal Child
    This is some seriously awesome shit!

6. JcFerggy

JcFerggy

Do you want to taco 'bout it? Member
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    GoldenEye: Source, Other Stuff
    Your screens show the sheilds with there art, but when I play it, it's just the S1 sheild with the powers?

7. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    Uh yeah, he was just showing pictures of his progress.

Jman, you going to include the sound effects?

8. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    He will, because I finished porting them not too long ago. =P

9. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    Very nice so far! I'm looking forward to the next release. ^_^

One thing I noticed, however, is that something's slightly fudged up how Sonic handles slopes compared to the normal Sonic 1 - I'd presume it's something to do with the fix you made which stops Sonic decelerating to 'maximum' speed, but it could be something else..

Anyway, try walking up a slope or curve slowly, and rather than slipping back down as you should when the game realises Sonic doesn't have enough momentum, most of the time you just.. get stuck. o_o Still in the walking pose and everything, just standing there on the slope. This happened to me multiple times, particularly in Marble Zone, but also when running up a wall in Green Hill.. so, yeah, something's fudged it up a bit. ^^;

Regardless, if you can iron-out that one bug the next release looks set to kick all kinds of ass. ^_^

10. jman2050

jman2050

Thanks for bringing that up. The problem has been fixed I believe, and will be in the next release.

11. JcFerggy

JcFerggy

Nova Scotia, Canada
    You also should (If not already done) make the fire shield withstand the MZ lava and burn out in the LZ/SB3 water.

12. jman2050

jman2050

Withstanding the MZ lava isn't something I had thought of. I'll see about implementing that. The shield does disappear in water though :)

Also, I've since expanded the main code base into more than just shields, so giving out the code for just the shields will be difficult. Not to worry though, I'll come up with a solution to this somehow...

13. ddrmaxromance

ddrmaxromance

I believe this was done by hivebrain in Sonic 1 Plus. Nevertheless, a very good implimation of the shields. I'm sure you can do this though.

I'm not sure about the fire going out when you touch water in his build however. :)

14. JcFerggy

JcFerggy

Nova Scotia, Canada
    Im glad I could help with ideas, but if you really want to be Sonic 3K'esque, then you could also change the art of the regular shield to sonic 2/3 style and change the shield icons to Sonic 3K.

If you are also making a hack out of, not just a code for other people, then you could edit the monitors and sonic's mapping/sprites to look like Sonic 3K.

*EDIT* also if you change the pallet to the "Floating Spikey Ball Enemy" so it has the same pallet as the one in Ice Cap, you could make the magnet shield remove it's "Spikes" so it would be easier to kill.

15. jman2050

jman2050

Small update unrelated to the shields.

[​IMG]

;)

16. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Awesome, glad to see you got it working. =P

17. Fred

Fred

Taking a break Oldbie
    Portugal
    Sonic 3 Unlocked
    I've thought about this, and it would be really cool (and versatile) if you managed to pull all of this off:

For the flame shield, it should withstand the Marble Zone lava and its' fiery projectiles, as well as the Star Light Zone Bombs' shards, the Crabmeat/Gani-gani's fireballs and the Labyrinth Zone and Scrap Brain Zone flamethrowers. It should also fizzle out in water.

The magnetic shield should render you immune to the sparks in the Scrap Brain Zone, as well as the Buzzbomber/Beeton and Newtron/Meleon's energy projectiles, and even the sparks from the Final Zone boss. As the flame shield, it should also short out in water.

Finally, the water shield should allow you to breathe in water, and make the Ballhog/Ton-ton's projectiles bounce off.

I'm sure you've already managed to achieve many of these effects, but just for the sake of a rather comprehensive list, here they are. Hope I didn't forget anything major.

Have fun! *shot*

18. Quickman

Quickman

be attitude for gains Tech Member
    :x
    omg porjcet
    I disagree with having one shield that blocks the FZ sparks.

19. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    Sonic the Hedgehog Extended Edition
    I don't disagree with it, seeing as there are no shields in Final Zone :P

Looking brilliant, jman, I look forward to seeing where this goes.

20. stormislandgal

stormislandgal

It's not a phase! Tech Member
    Married life <3
    Arg, you got the reverse gravity working... But, all you need to really do is set up a flag that tells the "ObjectFall" routine to go up instead of down, right? That and edit the collision so you can actually move around up there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.