don't click here

A bit more clear SA unveiling video

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by crystallize, Apr 8, 2016.

1. It looks like quite a while ago I asked Rlan from Sost for source of Sonic Adventure unveiling video, hoping for better quality. He went and dug it up from some kind of CD. Quality is just as bad as it was though, but with one significant detail: game footage and subs are clearly interlaced, and interlacing fields are encoded without blending which gives us smooth 60 fps.
    He uploaded new version on his channel so I guess it's not a secret. :)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjQLvTwoyhA
    But you need to deinterlace original file to see 60 fps:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8rahJNjP5JCVWJUZjNYZnVBRlk/view?usp=sharing
    Don't be surprised with 400mb size, audio is PCM.
    Once again, thank you Rlan! :)

2. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Having the video in full is a good step foward.

And there's lots of juicy prototype stuff in there. My impression is that Amy, Big and E-102 weren't really finished in any sort of capacity, they just plonked the characters in a few levels to prove they existed.

3. But we had full 30 minute footage since at least 2011...

4. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    Rlan...holy shit that is a blast from the past.

5. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    There it is

[​IMG]

6. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    I can confirm the man himself has seen this and instantly recognized it.

Memories~

7. This is about as much as you can do with this video: brightness-contrast, QTGMC deinterlace to 320x100x60fps and TemporalDegrain. I also assumed that pixel aspect is not quadratical but 10:11, because Dreamcast that Naka's holding looks correct in this case, so I tweaked video aspect accordingly. But it looks like pixel aspect of game footage is different. Don't forget to switch to 720p for 60 fps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziBLGpiLERY

DOWNLOAD SONICADVENTURE UNVEILING 2016 NO SMS NO REGISTRATION

8. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    Next: subs. :v:

9. Orengefox

Orengefox

Snooping as usual... Researcher
    Right in front of my computer.
    Some artwork, a ZZT game, and a hack.
    Having read the previous thread and this thread, I didn't realize there was still a need for this promotional tape. Makes sense to want a better quality rip than the one that's been floating about for years.

From what I can tell, the promotional tape is uncommon to get based on the amount of times I've seen it being sold on Japanese sites. I've managed to snag a copy which included a few other common SEGA Japanese promotional tapes if you're interested.

[​IMG]

It'll be some time before they reach me. Hopefully they're in good working order. In any case, I thought I'd let you lot know.

10. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    There is a need for most things. Even if we had good quality footage, we're lacking scans and wiki coverage.

None of those cassettes are covered properly on Sonic or Sega Retro - there might be pages, but we can only work with what we've got, and we don't have much.

11. Orengefox

Orengefox

[​IMG]

Time for an update. The VHS tapes have been shipped and are on their way. Just need one other tool and I'll be all set. I've also recently acquired this unusual item below which has been shipped together with the VHS tapes.

[​IMG]

More about the disc in general can be found [here] but for this topic, I wanted to cover what's listed at the bottom right hand corner under "Contents". It mentions something about Sonic Adventure. Bare in mind, there's a possibility this promotional disc was put together before the Sonic Adventure Autodemo because of their model numbers.

But as I pointed out in the other topic, it may only be just a preview video. While I'm not 100% certain, there's one source that seems to prove that [here]. I found it yesterday while trying various ways to find more info about this promotional disc. The video seems to reference this particular disc in which case, this what we might end up with in addition to the other stuff this disc has. If anyone remembers, that video was originally shown [here].

I'm hoping there's more to this disc. Even if there isn't, there's still plenty to take from this disc. We'll have raw clean crisp clear version of that video straight from the GD-ROM rather than one from youtube or one that's 160x120 with very poor sound quality from back in the day. We'll have more information about this mysterious Dreamcast promotional disc in general and it's another one to cross off SEGA Retro's hit list [here].

For those who are curious, the VHS tapes costed £19.25 + £12.81 for fees and shipping charges within Japan. The Promotional disc costed £132.76 + £23.71 for fees and shipping charges within Japan. International shipping and packaging for all the items costed £38.14. Giving me a grand total of £226.67 for the whole thing. That's not including any tools I still need to get and the import charges which I'm dreading. Did I invest more than I should have on these items? It's debatable. Will the outcome be very rewarding regardless of how much was spent? Very much so.

If it's alright, I would like to do a little donation for this Retro exclusive. Not looking for the whole thing to be funded, but if anyone could chip in a little for the fees, charges, shipping, packaging, etc. That would great. Let's face it, if the fees and shipping charges don't finish me off, the import charges will. I'm looking around £75 in donations. My PayPal address is: [email protected]

tl;dr - Found rare and unusual Japanese SEGA/Sonic stuff. Would like to do a donation (target being around £75). My PayPal address is: [email protected]

12. I just sent $15 (about £10), here's hoping others chip in to cover this for you as well!

13. Orengefox

Orengefox

Thank you very much SoNick. Thank you as well Jelq God. I've received £20 in total so far. Target being around £75. It's very much appreciated as every little helps.

PayPal: [email protected]

Update: I've received a small update on the stuff that's been shipped out to me. It's now arrived at my country and is being assessed for import duties and local taxes. A price hasn't been determined yet but no doubt will it be anything but cheap. Here's hoping it won't be too bad.

14. Twimfy

Twimfy

UK
    Sonic the Comic stuff
    A long time ago (2008) I had that Sonic 3 Promo video. Sad to say that there wasn't much on there that hasn't already been seen. At the time I was going to upload it to the web but I found that somebody already had. It was on YouTube, not sure if it still is, I'm 99% certain this is part of it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4uZAbj0nBU

At the time I was going to get it transferred to DVD so I could then rip it. Shame I never did, will be good to see the whole thing in its entirety again.

Proof:

[​IMG]

15. Dude

Dude

Tech Member
    Southbridge, MA
    Random VR/AR trash
    It really is crazy how different their camera tween and easing code was at the time. So many pops, glitches and taking the long way around. I also wonder if they actively developed the game at half speed (could have made life easier on developers if they didn't have quick reaction speeds), or if the half speed was just something they did just for demonstration purposes.

16. Orengefox

Orengefox

I've posted an update in the other topic [Here].

Basically saying many thanks to everyone who's donated. I've received a total of £65 with the target being around £75. That's helped me quite a bit. I've got all the stuff now and will sorting out the stuff I can sort out over the weekend. Need one more tool for the VHS tapes which I won't be able sort out until I get paid Friday next week. Until then, hang ten.

17. Orengefox

Orengefox

At long last, a new update. Thanks everyone for the donations. I've reached my target which helped me greatly. I managed to sort out what I could. The Dreamcast Promotion Disk was a complete success which you can get a copy of [HERE]. Unfortunately I've reached a road block on the SEGA Japanese VHS tapes.

[​IMG]
    As you can see from the top, the picture doesn't look right. The problem varies on all the SEGA Japanese VHS tapes I bought. From what I can gather, several sites have labeled this kind of behavior as "Picture Skewing". To rectify this issue, these sites suggest to get what is called a "Time Base Corrector" which you can either get as an additional thing for the VCR or get a VCR that has a TBC included.

My tools to do this so far involve a Sony SLV-SE720, a standard video capture device, and of course my PC. Obviously my Sony SLV-SE720 doesn't seem to have a TBC. Which means, I would need to invest in another VCR that can do both PAL/NTSC with a TBC or find an additional thing for my VCR. Both of which involve spending fuck tons of money (unless there is one that's on the cheap) which I would need to take time to build up. The alternative solution would be to send all the VHS tapes to someone who's got all this equipment already.

What does everyone think? Does this problem sound about right and if so, what are my options? Is there anything out there at a reasonable price in order to actually transfer these tapes onto a computer? Or would it just be easier to send to someone who's got the right equipment?