don't click here

Tails in Sonic 1 v2.0

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Puto, Dec 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Puto

Puto

Shin'ichi Kudō, detective. Tech Member
    Portugal, Oeiras
    Part of Team Megamix, but haven't done any actual work in ages.
    Right, since drx's code for Tails in Sonic 1 was very messy and hard to manage, I recently decided to re-do the entire hack from scratch. I've finished it, just in time for the new year, so releasing the damn thing. Highlights:

The only major flaw I'm aware of is that there's no good ending; This is due to the fact that I don't have any ending sprites for Tails, and I refuse to load Sonic or placeholder sprites. Special thanks to nineko for testing and giving me a hand with the level select, and to oerg866 for testing on hardware. Get it here.

P.S. I'm hoping for this to be the last release of Tails in Sonic 1. However, that doesn't mean that I'll let bugs slide; If you find any bug, post it here, and if I manage to fix it, there WILL be a bugfix release. Here's to hoping that's not necessary though :P

2. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Pretty cool.

Here's the wierd stuff I've been able to find:

-Tails' tails don't act properly when chargung a spindash near a breakable wall.
    -When activating the "flying mode", the initial "upwards boost" seems bigger than in Sonic 3.
    -Wierd colored squirrels in Marble.
    -Wrong colors for the Flickies in the ending.
    -Motobug's sprites have a couple of lines with incorrect colors.
    -The red and yellow colors in Marble's bats are swapped. This might happen in other enemies such as the static chameleon (not sure if you really wanted his eyes to look red)
    -Tails' animation in the title screen seems a bit too fast.

3. Sith

Sith

The molotov bitch Member
    What abt those ugly garbled bg tiles in Marble Zone?
    (was in MZ act2 iirc).
    Oh well, going to give it a shot anyway. drx' original hack was so messy that I didn't even keep it.

drx you lazy ass, I know you could do better. :P

4. Puto

Puto

Portugal, Oeiras
    Most palette bugs are really palette limitations, nothing I can do about those. As for the "upwards boost" thing, I can assure you it's not bigger at all, the code is straight from S&K. The title screen animation is from Sonic 2, and no clue about the first bug.

5. Athelstone

Athelstone

Oldbie
    Thanks Puto.

6. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Mmm... Well, the palette the bats are using has both red and yellow colors, so I guess it would be a quite simple fix. =|
    He does it at a different pace in Sonic 2, though.

Another thing I've just noticed is that Tails' tails wobble a little when he's pushing against a wall.

7. I love playing this on my MD, since you can do some tricks with tails (like flying above the bigass building to get a time of less than umm... 40secs there.)

Awesome job and thanks for fixing the Game-Over-Bug.

8. I really hate to bump a nearly 2 month old topic, but I'd like to point out that the link is dead as of right now. Any mirrors?

9. Scarred Sun

Scarred Sun

Be who you needed when you were younger Administrator
    Tower 8 ️
    Welp, this.
  10. Ah, didn't know it was mirrored there. Thank you very much madam. ;)

11. Puto

Puto

Portugal, Oeiras
    Yeah, my webhost kinda wiped my entire account three days ago. Sorry for any inconveniences.

12. Ok, I've been playing this hack so far (up to LZ right now) in Kega Fusion v3.51 and the level select and debug mode cheats on, and have noticed the following issues...

-Tails is sometimes quick to flight when jumping. For example I jump around normally a couple times, then every so often tails just "takes off" from the start, which I don't believe this is intended behavior.
    -Using debug mode in parts of SYZ will cause collision to mess up (walking on solid air, falling through floors, etc).
    -Using debug mode can sometimes show Tails as a ring object with his two tails. They seem to disappear if you move around.
    -Can't activate debug mode when hit by an enemy.
    -The underwater tired sprite appears messed up in LZ.
    -Does not have a gasping for air animation when invincible and jumping into an air bubble.
    -Does not have a gasping for air animation when swimming and swimming into an air bubble.
    -Sprites "twitch" when using springs in SLZ.

13. Chimpo

Chimpo

Why is Tekken 6 afraid of Tekken 7? Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Aiming for Genbu!
    I knew I forgot something.

Give me a minute.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.