don't click here

8-bit Color vs. 16-bit Color

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by saxman, Aug 4, 2008.

If I got rid of 8-bit color (that's 256 colors from a palette of 262,144 colors) in ProSonic and onl

1. I could care less, because I'd want to see high-color games anyway

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. It'd bother me somewhat, because there are advantages to 8-bit color

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I'd prefer you didn't get rid of it at all and instead supported both 8-bit and 16-bit color

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. saxman

saxman

Oldbie Tech Member
    ProSonic supports 8-bit and 16-bit color modes. I've created some very complex code to allow images created in one mode to display in another without having to reformat anything and keep specific palette indexes in tact. However, because of this, the engine runs pitifully slow on any computer that isn't relatively new. I couldn't get rid of 16-bit color, because there's a lot of people who want it. However, I haven't heard much excitement over 8-bit color. Getting rid of that and sticking with one color mode would simplify things a lot.

That's why I made this poll -- what do you think of me getting rid of 8-bit color?

2. P.P.A.

P.P.A.

SONIC 2 SUCKS, SONIC CD FOREVER Member
    Germany
    Sonic MD (Currently: Art for Zone 3)
    I... don't know. Because I'm colourblind I usually like being somewhat restricted in colours, having just a set amount of them to choose from so I don't have to wade through all those colours I am not fully sure of what they are!

Also it's "couldn't care less", not "could care less". This is one of the most annoying grammatical and logical errors there are!

3. Revival

Revival

The AppleTalk Network System Member
    In my area of Scotland, it's pronounced "Could'na care a less".

But anyway, I'd prefer if you kept both, even if it does slow down some machines. Alternatively, you could release two versions, one with 16-bit colour, the other with 8-bit.

4. Lostgame

Lostgame

producer/turnablist. homebrew dev. cosplayer. Oldbie
    Toronto, ON
    The O.I.C.
    Man, why would you do both? If you want 8-bit color, make it yourself in 16-bit color with your own limited palette. It's ridiculous to slow down a game in the name of 'old-schoolish shit'.

5. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    I'd like 8 bit over 16 bit, personally

6. Ollie

Ollie

DIGGY DIGGY HOLE Member
    personally, I wouldn't use it, however much I like 8-bit games, beside couldn't you just use the 16-bit option and just make it appear to be 8-bit? =\

7. saxman

saxman

Oldbie Tech Member
    What you're saying is exactly what it does. But 8-bit uses a color palette. Imagine trying to convert each color to the closest match by searching the palette? The best way would be to have two different file formats for each mode so I wouldn't have to convert anything internally -- but that means I have to write a heck of a lot more code to draw in the two formats.

One method uses less, but more complex code to support a single portable file format. The other uses lots more, but less complex code to support two file formats not directly portable.

8. P.P.A.

P.P.A.

SONIC 2 SUCKS, SONIC CD FOREVER Member
    Germany
    Sonic MD (Currently: Art for Zone 3)
    I just found out Chaotix had a 15-bit pallette.
    I'm all for 16-bit then, the colours should at least be as numerous as in KC.

9. Sith

Sith

The molotov bitch Member
    Yeah, I don't give a shit abt 8-bit color.

10. FraGag

FraGag

Tech Member
    If you want lots of colors, why not just use 24-bit or 32-bit instead? Are there still people restricted to 16-bit colors, or is it because you want ProSonic ported to consoles with limited color palettes?

11. Mad Echidna

Mad Echidna

Gone Oldbie
    Does it really matter? May as well include anything you already have, the more stuff the cooler as long as there is no performance hit. That's Allstate's stand. Are you in good hands?

12. Flygon

Flygon

I'm not really fussed one bit.

If it's 8-bit, than yay for 256 colours, 256 is plenty for me anyway.

But 16-bit has more on screen sooo...

I'm easy either way.

13. Ice God

Ice God

Earthbound Fanboy Banned
    Yeah? Well personally, I prefer the air!

But no, I'd say go with 16 bit. Things cold look so much more appealing.

14. AeroGP

AeroGP

Los Angeles, CA
    Sonic for GameMaker: Studio
    Id say that 8-bit support is at least an expendable feature, and you should eliminate it only if the slowdown caused by its inclusion is inconvenient to most of its users. Ask whomever you lend your test builds to if that is truly the case, because they'll have the experience fresh in their minds and be more honest with their response. Then you can determine if it needs to be removed.

15. Xkeeper

Xkeeper

lgkdfvlbjepasvdjzcvpaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa Researcher
    the bone zone
    current-project-fart
    A bit late to the party, but as was said earlier, 8-bit mode only creates a hard limit; anybody who actually creates graphics could limit themselves to 8-bit palettes only.

In short, there is no reason to bother; those who want 8bit graphics can make/use them, those that don't won't have any problem.

(Though why not 32-bit mode?)