don't click here

Dr Badvibes

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by hxc, Mar 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hxc

hxc

spotteddove Researcher
    Who is Dr Badvibes? Well lets ask the american namer of Dr Robotnik, Dean Sitton!

Unfortunatly, he was only willing to answer one question, and I didn't know about the Sonic 1 Alpha stuff until he answered my question. I will push a little for another one, but don't expect anything.

Note: This is legit, despite his grammar :)

-hxc

2. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    So Eggman's original name is Dr. Badvibes? That sounds sooooo American. =P

Interesting you got in contact with him though... I've gotta read my credits for Sonic 1 again and look up some names myself. :P

3. Man, and I thought "Robotnik" was corny... heh heh.
    I can only imagine what we would be arguing about today if his name was Badvibes. Good find as always, HXC!

4. Shade

Shade

Hoo boy, I'm glad that name got the can.

But, I must ask:
    What in God's name is he talking about? My guesses are by Green Hill he means South Island. But what "fiction" did he flesh out? Storyline stuff relating to the chaos emeralds or..? I mean, that stuff, much less the storyline itself, didn't go too far at all until Sonic 2, to my recollection. Also, I'd guess this sally/sandy/whatever person was Amy Rose, which would mean she was in development and/or created from before Sonic CD (And Amy was listed as Sally in the US CD manual). If not, could we be looking at a canned character?

5. Molotok

Molotok

Gate gate paragate parasamgate bodhi svaha Member
    Well, if the British and other regions besides North America had used Robotnik still, we might have a three name argument.

"Robotnik!"
    "Badvibes!"
    "Eggman!"

And notice the "subtle" environmental themes.

Eggman/Robotnik: "Eco-terrorist."
    Sonic: "Imperialist."

But for one of your next questions, I think it should be if Robotnik was just thought up from thin air or if it was inspired by the Soviet Union, since it still existed at the time the first Sonic game was released.

6. Knux13

Knux13

Member since May 19, 2002 Banned
    My best guess would be Amy Rose.

7. It's also possible he's talking about nothing at all... he was getting a little rambly towards the end there.

8. Shade

Shade

All I know is that his grammar makes .hack//zero look like Quickman.

9. Heh, it's amazing how many smart people write stupid.

10. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    <3

11. Heran Bago

Heran Bago

Ah! It's Puyo battle then. Tech Member
    Dean Sitton, eh? I actually question how legit this one really is.

edit: Since it's HXC - BENEFIT OF DOUBT GET.

12. I simply can't get along with someone who calls an extra life a "free man." :P
    But HXC says it's real, we ought to trust him on that. Nonetheless, this guy's writing is atrocious. No wonder he was just a "game counselor." Do you think there's any more useful info we might be able to get from him, assuming HXC can get him to agree, or is this pretty much it?

13. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    ...Or Madonna?

14. hxc

hxc

spotteddove Researcher
    Indeed ICE, I never even thought of that, as he was playing a very early version.

He hasn't replied recently, so it doesn't look like we will get anything else.

15. Shade

Shade

Ah, right. That blond woman in the red dress in the extremely early (I think the first) sketches of the final Sonic the Hedgehog. These are unlockable in Gems Collection's museum. I guss that would mean we really were looking at a canned character. I would still go with my Amy = Sally assumption, but it was obvious they were trying to make ties with the SatAM cartoon (Calling Amy Princess Sally, and the planet Mobius in the US CD Manual).

16. I was not aware of this, and I don't have Gems. Anybody got pictures? You've piqued my interest.

17. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    I think there is one in Sonicology.

EDIT: yah, OK, OK. Go there and then follow the links Prototype -> Sonic 1 -> Concept Art. You'll see it and another funny image. Put directly the link sometimes won't work in a page designed like that.

18. Thanks, Sik. That's pretty interesting, I never saw any of that stuff before.

So ICEknight, you seriously think that blond chick is who Sitton was talking about? That would have been... different, to say the least. I suppose she would have been the standard "damsel in distress," like a parallel to Princess Peach. Kinda glad they dumped that plan, too. :P

19. Knux13

Knux13

Member since May 19, 2002 Banned
    I doubt it would be Madonna... as far as we know, she was only officially in that one picture. Characters named Sally, however, are plentiful in the Sonic universe... also, the Sonic CD manual was somewhat last-minute, so it wouldn't be surprising if this guy is responsible for Amy Rose being called Sally in that case.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.