don't click here

57-year-old game creator Yuji Naka arrested in Japan

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by Palas, Nov 18, 2022.

1. Palas

Palas

Don't lose your temper so quickly. Member
    Source (Fuji News Network)

Tokyo District Public Prosecutors Office arrested 57-year-old game creator Yuji Naka in context of insider trading related to new installment from popular Dragon Quest franchise (from this tweet).

Yuji Naka was arrested on grounds of insider information trading and stock manipulation after purchasing 10,000 shares of Aiming right before the announcement of Dragon Quest Tact, a free-to-play mobile tactical RPG developed by Square Enix and the afrementioned company. Another Square Enix employee -- Taisuke Sasaki -- and their acquaintance -- Fumiaki Suzuki -- have also been arrested in the same case, having bought 162,000 of Aiming's shares.

To provide further context, @MykonosFan posted this on Twitter:

[​IMG]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------​
    221120 Edit:

Yoshiki Okamoto raised questions about Naka's arrest:

230601 Edit:

From JoeBro64's post: Naka has confessed to insider trading.
    230707 Edit:

From JoeBro64's post: Naka is basically on probation and will go to jail if he misbehaves again. He's also been fined about US$ 14,000, plus he'll have to return the same amount he profitted -- about US$ 1.2 million. (Corrections made by Gyrson)

I'll update this thread as we find out more about what happened.

So it would appear Naka invested 2,8 million of Japan's own yen (about 20k USD) on a company because he knew their stocks would go up (while Balan Wonderland was still under development, no less!).

Last edited: Jul 7, 2023
    • Informative Informative x 7
    • List
  2. Impish

Impish

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  3. Linkabel

Linkabel

When Naka announced he was working with Square Enix I've never thought that it was going to end up this way.

4. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
    I'm stunned... I didn't really like him as a person, but I respected him for his creative work. I could have never imagined he'd do this, I never thought he'd actually do something illegal...

5. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    I have just one thing to say

[insert skull emoji]

6. I'm sorry, but all I can think of was this video:

7. evilhamwizard

evilhamwizard

Researcher
    what a time to be alive

8. Brainulator

Brainulator

Regular garden-variety member Member
    At first, I was wondering if this was just some other guy with the same name, but assuming all this is true... oh no. Between this and whatever's happening with Shakira, we're going through some times right now.

9. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Wow talk about a fall from grace. Yea he’s done, and with good reason.

Thanks for making Sonic feel fun to control all those years ago, shame you’re a dick.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  10. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    I was already kicking back and watching Twitter burn, it's a hell of a night for content.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  11. ndiddy

ndiddy

Lock him up and throw away the key

12. Turbohog

Turbohog

Damn Yuji, were you really so desperate for cash you needed to resort to this? Shame.

13. Londinium

Londinium

People actually read these? Member
    [​IMG]

Was it worth it, Naka?

14. Chimes

Chimes

The One SSG-EG Maniac Member
    WHAT THE HELL IS WITH THIS OCTOBER AND NOVEMBER HAVING THE MOST STRANGEST THINGS HAPPEN THIS YEAR?! We're not even a month away from this year ending and it's almost as if all the stops are being pulled out to make it the strangest since two and six years ago!

[​IMG]

15. saxman

saxman

Oldbie Tech Member
    I'm not going to dump on the guy like this.

There's no excuse for insider trading. But how many other people have also done it and never been caught, or never been targeted? I bet a good many. It's tempting on one's soul to see the potential empowerment achieved through investments and not at least consider it. It's really quite unfortunate he made the choice he did. But frankly, all of us are greedy in one form or another.

Did he murder someone? No. Did he destroy property? No. Did he kidnap someone? Not at all. He invested his money to try and earn more. And while he did it unfairly, he by no means did anything that deserves for him to be completely discarded to the trash heap. At least not by my standards.

I seem to always be on the opposite sides of these things. I'm not sure why. I see someone who is subject to the human condition the way we all are. I think you have to put the crime in a bit more perspective. It's bad, don't get me wrong, but it's not the crime of the century.

My advice is accept he did wrong and that he should pay a price. But it shouldn't mean being completely kicked to the curb. This doesn't inherently make him a bad man.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 13
    • Like Like x 4
    • List
  16. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    @saxman maybe if this was the only thing I’d go lighter on him but this just seems to be another dick move in a life time of dick moves. Guy fucked around and he found out. He just doesn’t seem like that great of a person.

17. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    There were plenty of good reasons to dislike Naka before this. Financial crimes are bad, they're normalized and that's bad, but this is just the cherry on top of every worker abuse we've heard about the guy.

18. Gryson

Gryson

You all are missing the truly interesting thing here:

This is clear retaliation by Square Enix for Naka's lawsuit and public badmouthing of the company.

I have little doubt information was leaked to the police through Square Enix that initiated the arrest. These kinds of anonymous leaks are not unheard of in Japan.

"Why don't former employees ever say anything bad about Japanese companies?" This is why.

That's not to excuse him. I just wanted to highlight what I see as a clear case of retaliation.

• Informative Informative x 10
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  19. saxman

saxman

Oldbie Tech Member
    I was just thinking that. You beat me to the punch. Pretty thuggish if that's truly what happened.

I'd like to know the other gentleman's connection. Did he also have a falling out with Square Enix by chance? Does anyone know anything about the guy? I might have to do some digging myself when I get a little time to do so.

20. Gryson

Gryson

It was probably unavoidable. It would raise too many eyebrows if police only targeted Naka, so SE threw his two acquaintances under the bus as well.

SE just posted a statement saying they were just notified via mass media of the arrests, and that they'll work to avoid this kind of thing in the future. Sure...

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List