don't click here

3D Model ripping thread

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Ice God, Feb 24, 2009.

1. Pexs

Pexs

Otherwise known as Spex Member
    What's the method he used to rip it? Backface Culling makes using conventional means an absolute pain. I was trying it the day I uploaded those.

2. ashthedragon

ashthedragon

Sonic Paradise Researcher
    Spain
    Sonic Paradise & Sonic Ages
    I think he ripped them using 3D ripper and Shenmue, but I'm not sure. I'll ask him next time I meet him.

3. biggestsonicfan

biggestsonicfan

Model2wannaB Tech Member
    ALWAYS Sonic the Fighters
    I'd thought of that before, but that's too many models up there for all the ones in Shenmue.

Ripping from emulated Gems, however, seems far more like a real thing.

4. Pexs

Pexs

That seems to be the case, then. I read somewhere a few days ago that GEMs running Fighters in emulation is possible (at the cost of not being able to load up anything else).

I'll see if I can get that up and running, and then post if I get anything. I'd love to get as many models as possible from this game, since it's one of my faves.

5. ashthedragon

ashthedragon

Spain
    Ok, talked to him, he didn't rip those. He says those are from bagjac, and that the textures for those are custom made, using cropped .jpg from screenshots of the game.

He ripped Fang though, using shenmue like I said before, and mixing several 3D captures to fix backface culling.

6. Pexs

Pexs

Well, good/bad news.

It certainly is possible to rip out 3D models using Dolphin, but the UVs are shot. I've only taken a few minutes to look at them though so they might be easier to fix than I think.

I've only ripped the opening screens so far. The fight arenas might give better results.

Death Egg:
    [​IMG]

Robotnik's room in the opening:
    [​IMG]:

(Robotnik and a few EggBots are in there too, but they're in a jumble in the middle.)

I used 3DVia Printscreen for these, but I'll see what 3D Ripper DX can do, too.

7. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    3DX Ripper will work, but you need the 32bit version, and it has to have the DX9 plugin, not the D3D9 one.

8. biggestsonicfan

biggestsonicfan

Model2wannaB Tech Member
    ALWAYS Sonic the Fighters
    The DirectX model ripper will extract correct textures from the game:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Granted I did this a long while ago.

That giant block of textures is object #1 in the game's array of objects. At least in the arcade version it is. I'd recognize that anywhere.

9. Pexs

Pexs

Well, I do have the 32-Bit Dolphin. DX breaks with my 64-bit version. The thing is, though. Whether it's Dolphin 3.0 64-bit, Dolphin 3.0 32-bit, or Dolphin 2.0 32-bit, I can't find the DX9 option. I'll probably actually install DX9 and then try again later, since I don't think it comes with Win7.

In any case, I was able to get some stuff using DX. These things along with a capture of Sonic from the Character Select Screen:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It seems that what's captured is the standard texture for the stage or something like that. Everything from the characters to the stage is covered in one texture. Or, more like multiple colored versions of one texture.

10. MikeyLevi

MikeyLevi

I can not for the life of me get Sonic The Fighters working properly in dolphin, even with the MMU speed hack. SO, I came here to shell out some advice.

I have high hopes that this will yield some results. Now, to view/open the files you're going to either need noesis or Milkshape 3D, noesis is probably the better out of the two. To view the .rip files in noesis, you're going to need this. Simply put the python script in noesis/plugins/python, and you'll be able to see them in noesis.

Another tip, F10 is the hotkey used to rip. When the rip is done it will create a folder in your dolphin directory called "_ripper", navigate your way through the various folders until you see all the .rip's and .bmp's. If the model has a texture, and you don't feel like opening every single .rip until you find what you're looking for, find the texture of the model you're trying to rip.

Once you find the texture of the model you're looking for, look at the name of the .bmp.
    [​IMG]
    Since I ripped from SA2B, sonic's model should be somewhere around the "mesh0008.rip" range.

Good luck! I hope to see some results in the near future.

11. ashthedragon

ashthedragon

Spain
    Wouldn't be easier to wait until the inevitable PC port of the digital re-release they are making and rip from there?

12. Dr. Mecha

Dr. Mecha

Dallas, TX
    3d Models
    .....sadly, no. It'll take years to fully hack into a PC port of a game that was made in mid 1990's through mid 2000's.

13. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    but 3dripperdx will work better with it, no?

14. SonikkuForever

SonikkuForever

Be cool, be wild, and be groovy! Member
    Gathering information on Sega World Sydney and collecting Sonic merchandise.
    This is probably a pretty simple question, but I've been trying to pose the Generations models (specifically Classic Sonic and Tails) in 3D Studio Max. They have bones, but they don't seem to be attached to anything, which means that either I don't know how to use them or they broke when the .dae files were imported into Max. I'm especially trying to bend the arms and pose the mouth. Can anyone give me tips?

15. woun

woun

Change your world Member
    Guys, I need help. I'm extract [NEIF/sonic.eno] ENO file from Sonic Free Riders, but I don't know how to import model to 3DS Max.

16. Faseeh

Faseeh

If I am not wrong, Sonic 4 uses the same file format and nobody has found a cracker for the file format so yeaaaah. :I

---

Anyways, it'd be pretty dang helpful if someone could tell me if there's a way to crack the Unwiished model formats and how and point me to the tools. Is 3DRipper/3DPrintscreen/Ninja Ripper the only way? :O

17. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    There are tools out there. However, most are private. There's know extractors and converters for Sonic 2006 and Sonic Unleashed PS3/XBOX 360 and PS2/Wii versions. They are however, private.

18. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    Hmmm... has there been anyone who's ripped the assets (like both models and textures) of All-Stars Racing Transformed yet? Or if not, is there any conventional way of ripping them?

19. Pexs

Pexs

Yes. For PC you use NinjaRipper, along with a few hex tricks to disable animations.

But for stuff that's already out, just snake through this thread HERE: http://forums.kc-mm.com/index.php?topic=56613.msg1101740#msg1101740

20. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    Oh, this is where I ask then. Lemme just copy and past aaand...

Has anyone ever attempted to rip the 3D planets seen in the background of the Sonic games? I ask because I'd really like a planet to work with for a project involving it, but I can't seem to find anything pertaining to the planets?

I know Sonic Unleashed and both Sonic 4 Episodes have a planet in the background of the menu and the final stage, though I'd rather the Sonic Unleashed model if possible.