don't click here

3 Broken Dreamcasts

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by Overbound, Feb 15, 2010.

1. Overbound

Overbound

Iowa
    Sonic Time Twisted Creator
    I have had a Dreamcast the controller port stopped working, so I replaced the controller port with another one that did work. The new controller port came from a DC that I had that had a bad disc drive but the controllers worked. Anyway it worked for about a minute and stopped. So then I tried it the other way taking the DC with the bad disc drive and replacing it with a good disc drive but the controller port that worked previously stopped. So then I bought another DC off ebay I played it for about ten minutes and its controller port stopped working as well. The only similarity between all these is the controller I used on them. What the hell is this just bad luck?

2. Bibin

Bibin

DON'T LET THE SUN LAUGH AT YOU. Member
    New York City
    Ghost in the Machine
    Something might be wrong with your controller, perhaps blowing fuses of sorts when you use it for extended periods of time.

3. Overbound

Overbound

Iowa
    I did try out other controllers, is it possible that a controller could break a controller port?

4. Bibin

Bibin

DON'T LET THE SUN LAUGH AT YOU. Member
    New York City
    Ghost in the Machine
    Definitely possible, and I think that's what happened.

5. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

RickRotate'd. Administrator
    USA
    rom-properties
  6. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.
    Yeah, the controller is broken. You need to get a new one. Then just follow what Gerbil linked to.

7. Overbound

Overbound

Iowa
    Yes and that's what I've been replacing the whole board. However since I tried 3 of these controller boards in different consoles and they keep breaking and the only thing in common is the Dreamcast controller (the thing with buttons on it) is bad and causing the controller boards to go bad?

8. NiktheGreek

NiktheGreek

Grumpy old bastard Oldbie
    Writing for the best video game magazine in the world
    Stop using the controller if that's the common factor. As for the board, it's better to fix than replace it, and pretty simple if you follow GerbilSoft's link.

9. Overbound

Overbound

Iowa
    Well I now have 2 fulling working Dreamcast thanks guys.

10. Vangar

Vangar

As for the third, the one that wont read the discs? Try changing the POT, I'm sure you will get life out of it still.

11. Overbound

Overbound

Iowa
    That's not working the DC resets whenever it attempts to read a disc with no disc in it works fine. I've been doing some reading and I think it could possibly be the motor for the GD-ROM drive if that's the case I think I'll just get another GD-ROM drive if I decide to fix it at all I have 2 working Dreamcast already thanks to GerbilSoft.

12. Get a DC VS. Link Cable, two Twin Sticks, and two copies of Virtual On: Oratorio Tangram.

<33333