don't click here

Sonic 2: Advanced Edit

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Rika Chou, Jul 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    Sonic 2: Advanced Edit Release 2 is now ready for download! This is a large scale hack, that features 6 completely new levels!

The Zones:

Sunset Shore Zone:

[​IMG]
    This Zone was created entirely by my friend, BadCopNoDonut, who has worked very hard on this. He has done a great job.

Robotic Ruin Zone:

[​IMG]
    I created this zone, based on tile provided to me from Kilometers Prower from Sclassic.

Garnet Garden Zone:

[​IMG]
    I created this zone, based on tile provided to me from Kilometers Prower from Sclassic.

Ocean Planet Zone:

[​IMG]
    I created this zone based on the 8-bit classic, Ocean Planet Zone from Sonic Chaos.

Bridge Zone:

[​IMG]
    I created this zone based on the 8-bit classic, Bridge Zone from Sonic 1.

Roof Top Zone:

[​IMG]
    I created this level, it is not based on any other levels. This and Bridge zone are the only two levels that were also featured in the first release of my hack.

Known Issues:

1: When running at high speeds in RTZ, Sonic occasionally passes through solid walls.
    2: Sonic's starting sprite is corrupted when you start RRZ.

Credits

In ROM art, mappings, level layout, object placement:

rika_chou
    BadCopNoDonut

Out of Rom art:

Kilometers Prower

Downloads:

Download ROM!
    Download IPS!

Please, enjoy this hack and be sure to let me know of any comments or bugs.

2. Skaarg

Skaarg

I just tried it out and I LOVE IT! All the levels are put to gether very nicely and look very nice.

3. SGR

SGR

Give me the gams. Member
    Looks very cool, especially the Sonic CD tiles and 8-bit renderings. I love this hack.

4. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    I'm glad you like it, as it took me over a year to make.

5. Syren

Syren

Teesside, UK
    Reintergration
    When I looked at that I immediately thought "Over a year!? Woah!" But then I downloaded it and saw everything that you did. Very good, indeed. I wish I could do something like that. :'(

Ah well, I'm trying.

6. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    all I can say is........
    This is one of the best hacks I've ever seen/played
    SA3+SCD Sprites=ownage

7. BtCE

BtCE

I really like the work on this project, Rika, this is an example of how all hacking projects should be. The only level I really miss from the first edition of Advanced Edit is Turqoise Hill, other than that I really have no complaints.

8. superstarCSB

superstarCSB

snootch Member
    Lawrence, Kansas
    I probably should get back to work on my site someday...
    What can I say. It's awesome! I mean there's a few rough spots here and there, but to take a game and basically strip it of everything and make it your own, is quite an accomplishment.

9. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    I may remake Turquoise hill for a future release, but I'm not sure as I didn't particularly like that level.

10. Hayate

Hayate

Tech Member
    Woah! It's good! Graphics are awesome!

But, it does have way too much Omega-like difficulty. Hint: bottomless pits and millions of spikes to jump over. AND the boss in GGZ is too hard to hit without falling in a bottomless pit. However, I liked Rooftop Zone.

11. Quickman

Quickman

be attitude for gains Tech Member
    :x
    omg porjcet
    The only level in this hack which I like the look of is Bridge Zone, and that's because I liked the original. However, the 16-bit Sonic sprite clashes with the 8-bit level.

The other levels I hate. They have far too many clean uninterrupted gradients. Look at grass on the ground - it's not one long flat sheet of green, the leaves reflect light in different ways. Try to reflect that in your levels.

Generally too much block colour (and where it isn't it feels like it) and too cartoonish, and the sprites clash with the levels and look out of place. I'm sorry to say that I don't like it.

12. BtCE

BtCE

Rika, just to point something out - it's Aqua Planet in Sonic Chaos.

13. Sonic Hachelle-Bee

Sonic Hachelle-Bee

Taking a Sand Shower Tech Member
    Lyon, France
    Sonic 2 Long Version
    I'm sorry to say that too but...I agree.

Try to take more time drawing your levels. Every single 8x8 tile is important. You really have to draw them pixel by pixel, the best you can. A lot of tiles are good and were drawn very well, but some others like the grass...

I explain me:
    You can make 6 levels with their layouts and all in one year, I made Long Version in more than 2 years, Genocide City in about 3 months and a half, without his final layout, rings and sprite placements, working about 2 hours a day. You should not speed up your hack, releasing 3 levels at a time. Take your time making your hack and things will be better.

I can't say that I hate it. It's a very good hack (the best I've seen so far) and you've put a lot of time in it. Keep up the good work Rika!

EDIT: Yeah! It's Aqua Planet, my favourite under Sonic Chaos BTW.

14. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    O_O

I spent plenty of time drawing each 8x8 tile, I would work on this thing up to six hour in a day. What grass are you talking about?

BTW, wasn't your GCZ just a level port from some SNES game? Either way, everything you said applies to your level as well.

15. Quickman

Quickman

omg porjcet
    This exemplifies what I mean:

[​IMG]

This could perfectly easily be a green tube for all I can tell. It just doesn't look like real grass. Compare with Emerald Hill Zone.

Then you make the point about Genocide City Zone.

[​IMG]

Look at the detail in the railings. They aren't just lines of one or two colours, they have highlights and breaks and look nice.

Complaints? The bricks could look nicer, they're a little too same-y and tiled. Try adding some cracks to some tiles to add some variety.

16. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    Did you consider the fact that I didn't draw that zone? That zone was made for my hack by my friend. It's his first attempt at making new tiles. Also, I have yet to see anything even half this good fall out of your ass.

17. Quickman

Quickman

omg porjcet
    That's entirely uncalled for. I've been very reasonable in stating my view without going "OMG THIS SUX" and then you go and insult me in such a fashion.

I won't grace the rest of your post with a response as my point still stands, and since it's mostly a verbatim quote of my post with a little tiny extra comment tagged onto the end (something much hated over Usenet). I was using that as an example, not deliberately picking it out for criticism.

Also, I don't need to prove that I can do better before criticising. Most music critics can't compose yet still throw their judgements on every piece made.

18. Kama

Kama

Sittin on my Bench, Watchin the sunset. Member
    Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania
    Becoming a freelance artist and writer
    Damn good hack you got there Rika. I found the tiles to be pretty cool. Keep up the good work.

19. BtCE

BtCE

First off, Quick Man and Sonic Hachelle-Bee, you are rightfully allowed to have and show your opinions and feelings on Advanced Edit, and you make valid points, but I will say that I enjoy the cartoony style of the hack and that I find the work to be very well-done on it. Yes, not every single piece of detail in lighting, shading, tinting ect is perfect, but the cartoony stle, in my eyes, makes the game feel like its own and not just a generic hack. Rika Chou, I have to agree with Quick Man about editing the sprites, though I do not think it is such a huge deal. I see so many hacks, especially here, getting more attention than they deserve (though I will not say which), and I fully believe that this is a hack that deserves full attention. Most of the new generation of hacks are poor-quality, have 856 versions, only pallete edits, and aren't worth your time playing. This one, whether you like the style of art, IS worth playing.

EDIT: Did those tiles from Genocide City Zone come from Garfield: Caught in the Act?

20. Trigahd

Trigahd

I am your gahd!! Member
    Somewhere in the skies
    Nothing worth mentioning
    I'll just post some bugs, and other wonders. The hack is pretty good, keep up the good work.

[​IMG]

You'll need to fix the lettering.

[​IMG]

For the second act, I noticed that you didn't put the lava object there.

[​IMG]

I believe this is the first act, but when I died, it went from the beginning and scrolled to my position. You need to fix that.

[​IMG]

You need to put those spikes down lower, otherwise you won't be able to walk over that spot.

In Death Egg, I got to the Egg Robo and jumped at him while he was walking foward, and went right through him!!! How in the hell, it was like I jumped too high. No pic cause I quit after dieing.

In Ocean Planet, why are there random objects in the steps? It kind of bugs me.

The attached pic shows an enemy going through a wall. I don't know if this matters to you much, but could you try to fix this.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.