don't click here

21331 LEGO Ideas Sonic the Hedgehog

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Roller, Feb 24, 2019.

1. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    Grabbed mine just after midnight once the LEGO site was no longer trying to put me into a queue - guessing quite a few folks were trying to order as soon as the link went live, haha!

I imagine it'll take a while for me to build due to free time being a little scarce right now, but I'm really looking forward to getting started once it arrives...! = D

2. Glaber

Glaber

Has Beaten Sonic Genesis for GBA Oldbie
    why not use a different lego piece for connecting the head? Like the turnable 2X2 plate?

3. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    Because it's a Sonic set and not an Exorcist set :V

4. Roller

Roller

21331 LEGO Ideas Sonic the Hedgehog, Ring Racers (SRB2Kart 2)
    The serious answer is that the turntable base requires four studs, and a sufficiently strong torso build for a three-wide character tends to just have one stud available. With this construction the stud has a hole in it so a bar can go through the middle for extra support, but that's what you have to work with without changing something else about the character build.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • List
  5. Man, being a big Lego fan I was really looking forward to this, and the final set is looking pretty good (except for Robotnik's face, which's incredibly weird...)!

Not sure if I'm gonna be able to pick one up for myself though, since import taxes make Lego sets pretty expensive around these parts, specially the ones in the Ideas line, which are imported in smaller quantities, if they're imported at all.

6. qwertysonic

qwertysonic

creating the biggest sonic collection
    I just bought two sets from my local Lego store last night.

7. Jammin'

Jammin'

Extremely into X-Treme Member
    mine should be here soon. this is really exciting!
    a little sad how Sonic isn't short like how he was in the concept, but otherwise, (and excluding the eggman head) it looks like a really cool set!
    oh yeah, whats everyone's opinion on the checkers? i heard they were two 1x1 plates stacked on top of eachother.

8. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    Still not got my set, but from what I've read, although they can be a little fiddly to assemble they absolutely nail the intended look - they certainly seem to from the pictures I've seen people posting on Twitter and the like. = )

Interestingly, I've heard it mentioned that as of this year a single brick the same height as two plates now exists, created for the newest Minecraft LEGO sets - presumably this new part wasn't developed in time to allow its use in the Sonic Ideas set, as it sounds like it would have been perfect for the checkerboard patterns otherwise!

9. Glaber

Glaber

Has Beaten Sonic Genesis for GBA Oldbie
    Classic lego sonic using standard legs doesn't bother me at all. The complaints about him not using the shorter legs do however.

If you think about it, Classic Sonic using the standard legs opens up the opportunity for a Classic lego Tails to use the smaller movable legs instead of using the even shorter, non-movable legs like what was seen in Lego Dimensions.

10. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    I’m going to order the set next week, I love it. Will be a great decoration for my dorm desk.

11. Ch1pper

Ch1pper

Fighting the Battle of Who Could Care Less Member
    Life.
    Just ordered this the other day; I can't wait!
    I was gonna double-order it with Seinfeld's apartment when I discovered that but it was sold out!
    I need it to go with my sets of The Office and Central Perk from Friends! I didn't even realize there was a set for the Friends' apartments!

No, I don't have a problem, what with South Park's bus stop and classroom, the Green Hill and Studiopolis playsets sitting on a shelf, noooo...

12. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    Just a heads-up - Roller/toastergrl has now posted some unofficial instructions for a modified Eggman figure, along with a list of required extra parts. This modified build trades some of the stability of the released figure for improved aesthetics (with a studded piece used to create a proper bridge for the nose) and extra articulation for the arms.

Instructions for alternate terrain and badnik builds using the existing parts from the set are also apparently upcoming - good incentive to buy a second set if you can budget for it! (I, sadly, cannot.)

13. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

[​IMG]
    My set arrived on Thursday and I’ve spent the last two days building it slowly and really appreciating all the detail and enjoying the experience.

I can’t embed here so here’s a photo of the completed set, on my TV stand with my MegaDrive :)

https://ibb.co/172xtcL

Once again a huge congratulations to those involved in the development!

Last edited: Jan 9, 2022
  14. Techokami

Techokami

For use only on NTSC Genesis systems Researcher
    HoleNet!
    Sonic Worlds Next
    I got my set and had it built in around 3 and a half hours. Beastly build but super awesome! My inner child is crying with joy at a proper LEGO eggmobile after all these years.

Something that might be cool for Sega and LEGO to do would be to create and release mini-sets of extra Badniks from Sonic 1. Y'know, in blind bags, like they are doing right now with Mario enemies for the Super Mario series. Would be great for expanding the zone, fun for collectors... I highly suspect such a line would be hard for retailers to keep in stock! (I would actually buy an entire case of such a thing!)

I'm going to look into obtaining the parts for the other zone segments that were posted in this thread, or at the very least enough pieces to make another Motobug and three more item monitors (to put those extra plates to good use!)

15. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    Started building my set yesterday - it's slow going as I only have the opportunity to do so in my lunch breaks at work. Just about squeezed the bridge section into today's break - I get the feeling I'll need to tape up my bags half-finished for the loop segment and spread it across multiple days, as that looks even more complex! Stacking all those 1x1 plates takes patience - I panicked when I realised I'd done two of them wrong as I couldn't get them back apart at all! Thankfully I was still pretty early in the build though, and on flicking ahead in the instruction book I realised I did need the combination I'd made later on, so was able to simply put it aside for a bit. Phew! Must be more careful in future...! = S

I'm with you on the monitors - would definitely like to get hold of enough bricks to build some extras, so the remaining faceplates aren't just lying around unused. Re: the extra Motobug faceplate, though, I'm hoping someone with enough LEGO knowledge can put together a parts list for a Buzz Bomber in the same style as the final set's Motobug - they have an almost identical face in-game anyway, so it could be a great way to use the extra faceplate to expand the content of the set even further. I'm thinking the angry face would fit it perfectly, as it's a bit more aggressive than the Motobug what with its stinger cannon and all. = )

On that note - the one badnik I've built so far (Crabmeat) is so cute, I love it! It also seems to be the only thing which has survived pretty much unchanged from the original pitch designs (albeit it was an 'extra' update for the original submission) - the claw bricks are arranged in a slightly different order and the eyes have a different print, but other than that it looks identical! Enjoying having it stare back at me from my desk while the build is in-progress - goodness knows where I'll put it all when it's finished...! XD

16. Techokami

Techokami

For use only on NTSC Genesis systems Researcher
    HoleNet!
    Sonic Worlds Next
    Oh crap that's actually a BRILLIANT idea

EDIT: And someone has gone and done it! Buzz Bomber | LEGO Sonic #21331 (MOC Tutorial) - YouTube

Last edited: Jan 12, 2022
  17. Forte

Forte

I speak better after three beers Member
    Poland
    Heads up (pun intended), it looks like there's actually a decent looking bootleg Lego Eggman head on aliexpress.

I can't really say if the quality is good, because estimated delivery time to my country takes around three months, but I've ordered 4 figurines to try out (Eggman, Shadow and the two Metal Sonic variants).

It's funny that they are producing these things. You even have Infinite and Nack.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  18. sayonararobocop

sayonararobocop

Purchased and can't wait to build it!

19. qwertysonic

qwertysonic

creating the biggest sonic collection
    I made a time-lapse video of the build if anyone's interested.

20. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    Been chipping away at this slowly in what little time I have available, and found a good tip for anyone looking for a fun display option! The little black stud/transparent stand which fixes Sonic onto the Emerald stand can also be used as a handy means of fixing him upside-down in the middle of the loop if desired - just stick the transparent part into the bottom of the stud rather than the top, and you can then stick the top of the stud into the inside-top of the loop. Then all you need to do is fix Sonic on upside-down in an appropriate running pose! Couldn't resist trying it out once I realised, haha. = )