1996 Sonic OVA/Sonic the Movie 4K HDR Upscale Project

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, Aug 22, 2020.

1. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    Thanks. I'll see what I can do with these later. It'll be a few days before I can make any good use of them. We'll see what results. If I make an updated version, it'll be distributed via Google Drive only, most likely.

2. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

Someone just made a torrent with rips of the Japanese Google Play Store's version:
    https://nyaa.si/view/1278388

This is the best quality of the Japanese version I've seen so far, you may want to use it for the first credits sequence. It has a small Bandai Channel watermark in the bottom right, but it's not too bothersome, as it doesn't overlap the scenes displayed during the credits.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2020
  3. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    Huh. So Bandai Channel really did just release this title with little to no warning. That explains the claim.

Good to see. I will update to that version, though I could live without the watermark. We'll see what ends up being best.

Edit: Upon closer inspection, it appears that the Bandai Channel source 'did indeed' do a new scan of the can, much to my surprise, but the source has been uploaded in a poor enough quality bitrate that using my current ISO source still remains the all around best option for image quality. This is leading me to do a few more color/contrast tweaks for a version 2.0 in the next release, but it only truly mostly affects Egg Generator red tinted scene in OVA 2, as that's the only scene where the red tint was strong enough to risk crushing finer details in the original scan. I believe I've found an optimal setting to now make this specific scene look its best. The rest of the transfer remains the same, only with updated shots replacing the 360p source where I used it.

Again, I'll update this v2 via Google Drive and 'maybe' via a New Torrent. Maybe. We'll see.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2020
  4. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
  5. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    And now, the English Dub has been uploaded with the new encode as well. Note that I decided not to replace the one shot with the edited sign, as I felt it inroducing a watermarked version of that shot right in the middle of the episode stood out more than just a watermark on the titlescreen, titlecard, or credits. As of now, I'm not planning to do a v3 with that change.

The 1080P version will also be posted shortly, and I've updated the main post to ad the dub version. At least one torrent will come later, but I will definitely need help seeding, since for whatever reason, Nyaa didn't allow the first torrent to stay up on their tracker.

Edit: Google Drive Link for the 1080P SDR Multi-Track version, using the above new encode. Torrents will come soon in the coming days.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/11h0P21O_2pIcFDDukr1sNoQT41R_W9-B/view?usp=sharing

Last edited: Sep 11, 2020