don't click here

1993 Sega European Grand Prix

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by amphobius, Apr 2, 2011.

1. amphobius

amphobius

doing more important things with my life Member
    life
    As I was just chatting with Andlabs earlier on the IRC, I was recently watching (just a few hours ago actually) the 1993 Donington Park Grand Prix on YouTube, held as the annual 'European' Grand Prix for the year as a temporary circuit. The race is known for a few things, such as Ayrton Senna making a good drive, and it having radically changing weather, but it was also sponsored by Sega as made clear by the usage of Sonic and the Sega logo plastered all over the circuit. Watching the coverage, there was barely any reference to the blue mascot, nor even Sega, but this is typical of two middle aged men who can't even get people's names right.

[​IMG]

Now, blabbing aside (and to make the topic relevant in its subforum), I was just wondering--how important is this event? Considering it's an official event obviously sponsored by Sega to pick up sales for the popular Mega Drive and Master System, it would deserve some sort of mention, surely?

Also related to Formula One and Sega, there is also the Williams team livery of that year to be mentioned, as it's also got Sega branding on it:

[​IMG]

Just thought this could spark up some insight—this could just go into something like "Sega branding in motorsport" as something collective, as I've rarely seen them in motorsport at all. That said, some sort of synopsis of the 1993 European Grand Prix couldn't hurt.

2. FlashTHD

FlashTHD

Oldbie
    Awfully slow, aren't y'all?

3. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    There's a spread in one of the Sonic annuals about this race, actually. What's especially cute if you look on the car is the hedgehog legs positioned so they look like the driver's. =P

Also, while we're on the subject of Sega sponsoring sport:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Currently unable to check the state of any articles on this on Sega Retro due to the board status.

4. NiktheGreek

NiktheGreek

Grumpy old bastard Oldbie
    Writing for the best video game magazine in the world
    Wasn't just Arse they sponsored...

Saint-Etienne:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sampdoria:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Deportivo de La Coruna

[​IMG]

JEF United

[​IMG]

5. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    I was watching the F1 1993 season reviews on Youtube, two days ago actually, and what I liked about the European Grand Prix was the line of posing girls dressed up as Sonic:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hV1L6ptwJs 2:30

Sega was so lucky to sponsor Williams in their "Active Suspension" year, but at the same time, got Ayrton Senna into Super Monaco GP 2 when he still was with McLaren.

6. Xilla

Xilla

I fail to understand....I begin to see! Member
    Well the coverage was provided by the BBC and they would always avoid mentioning sponsors. Infact they pulled the plug on their coverage of one of the British GPs in the 1970s because one of the cars was sponsored by Durex!

7. Scarred Sun

Scarred Sun

Be who you needed when you were younger Administrator
    Tower 8 ️
    Welp, this.
    I've been wanting to get that Arsenal Dreamcast jersey for a while, but getting a small for a reasonable price is ridiculous. That being said, that Sampadoria away jersey rules and I may have to start looking for it as well.

On the whole documentation front, do we know of any other instances than football club sponsorship and the 93 Grand Prix? Trying to deduce whether to just give each their own page or do a compilation of things.

8. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    I might be able to help with that, if anything because I live in Italy. However it might be hard to track it down even for me, because according to wikipedia, the Dreamcast sponsor was used from 1999 to 2001, which means 12 to 10 years ago, so I'm not sure where I should look for :|

(by the way those pictures were posted in a misleading order, the blue kit is the home one, and the white kit is the away one. The gray kit is either the third variation (used in special matches) or the Goalkeeper's, not sure)

9. Xilla

Xilla

I fail to understand....I begin to see! Member
    IIRC the Sonic legs below the driver were replaced later in the season by Sonic's fist punching through a Sega logo.

10. NiktheGreek

NiktheGreek

Grumpy old bastard Oldbie
    Writing for the best video game magazine in the world
    Yup! Sega sponsored a snowboard team to promote the 32X, and a lot of sporting sponsorships are made in Japan. There's a list here, and good lord, does that character on the baseball pic look close to Feel or what? A closer look says no, but that design is bloody close and almost certainly draws some direct inspiration.

11. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    God I am so sick tired of Uekawa's design by now, and his poses! >.<

Viccy looks like Cream The Rabbit to me.

12. Hivebrain

Hivebrain

Administrator
    53.4N, 1.5W
    Github
    I found a Sega-sponsored BMX event from 1990:
    [​IMG]

13. SteelBrush

SteelBrush

603e Member
    the home of spotted dick, Devon
    Tramadol, Tamazepam and finding a reason to exist.
    This information about the '93 Grand Prix can be found in the Sonic Jam Hall of Fame.

[​IMG]

More info here.

[​IMG]

Another interesting promotion, does anyone remember this?

[​IMG]