don't click here

Speedruns

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Malgra, Nov 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Malgra

Malgra

Studium Member
    I just finished watching this vid of someone 100% completing S3&K (As Knuckles) in about 3 quarters of an hour, and even though it's tool assisted it's one of the better ones I've seen. I have to say I was mesmerised especially when they started doing the special stages backwards haha.

So I was wondering, has anyone here tried speedrunning any of the Sonic games, or does anyone still actively speedrun? Which games have you ran through and what are your best times?

Those who can't/haven't (Like me), do you have any favourite speedrun vids?

2. corneliab

corneliab

I've never tried speedrunning a whole game before. Man, the thought of that is really intimidating.

I have tried my hand at speedrunning certain individual stages from SU360 though, my best runthroughs definitely being from Eggmanland.

Also, I've done a few runs of some SRB2 levels as well as the first stage of Sonic Rush Adventure, but that's it. Don't think I'll ever try any stages from any other games though- people have ripped those things so far apart it's crazy.

3. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    I saw a TAS with someone completing S3K with Sonic & Tails and no emeralds in about a half hour. That was crazy. :psyduck:

4. PicklePower

PicklePower

Wiki Sysop
    I used to be able to complete all of Emerald Coast while holding my breath. :/ Not sure what gave me that idea.

5. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    Sometimes I hold my breath while "underwater" when I'm in stages like Labyrinth and such, if it makes you feel better.

6. Zephyr

Zephyr

US
    I'm gonna start doing that now. :)

7. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox

8. Malgra

Malgra

Studium Member
  9. Mercury

Mercury

His Name Is Sonic Tech Member
    Location Location
    AeStHete
    Oh god, I guess I'm not the only one. I hold my breath between bubbles, to feel what Sonic feels (take that, Rumble Pak!) Unfortunately this practise has led me to only be able to hold my breath for 30 seconds, so I'll probably drown if I'm ever in an emergency situation involving water.

I used to speedrun Green Hill and Emerald Hill on the original console, but never any of the later levels (I'm too lazy). I did get Azure Lake below 19 seconds once, though, I remember trying for hours. And of course, Adventure practically requires you to spam the spindash button to get all the emblems.

10. Matwek

Matwek

I would love to see a speed run with sonic collecting all the Emeralds (as in the op). All the speed runs I ever see tend to avoid special stages but hyper sonics double jump could make things interesting.

11. Stink Terios

Stink Terios

No, that was done already in the video in the 1st post and isn't interesting as the one that skips emeralds.
    Tails shenanigans > Hyper Sonic shenanigans :v:
    Of course, you could do a TAS for something like what GoldS is doing without tools for massive amount of entertainment, like this mad SMB3 TAS.

12. Bozo

Bozo

I got Lava Reef 2 down to :26 seconds once...but then I found out the tactic I used got banned a day later xD

13. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    The speedrun in the first post collects all the emeralds, but with Knuckles, not with Sonic. There *is* a TAS with Sonic collecting all the emeralds in the queue right now, but consensous if it should be published or not isn't reached so far: http://tasvideos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8602.

However, the "someone" Moonshadow Caz mentioned in his first post is nothing else but Upthorn, who is was also active on this same forum, and is probably the best Sonic speedrunner of all times, along with Nitsuja.

14. Uberham

Uberham

King Of Oblivion Member
    I've completed stealth's "Knuckles in Sonic 1" without collecting a single ring.

15. nineko

nineko

italy
    This calls for a crossover of Knuckles in Sonic 1 and OMG THE RED RINGS.

16. snkenjoi

snkenjoi

Tech Member
  17. nineko

nineko

italy
    snkenjoi for Tech Admin. Or something.

18. 0r4ng3

0r4ng3

When idiots started saying Sonic games (even the classics) are literally a hold right to win, I made some sort of personal goal to pass through the main games by pressing right non-stop and jumping when I needed to. It's very hard to do so, and it's impossible as the second zone kicks in. Only tried with Sonic 1 and 2 but I'm sure it's the same for any of the others. I'll try the adventures one of these days.

19. Malpass

Malpass

Fell at the Battle of the Wing Fortress, 1992. Member
    I can speedrun Emerald Hill Zone Act 1, but not much else to be honest. Maybe Chemical Plant Zone...

20. GoldS

GoldS

Oldbie
    USA
    I just tried this in S3&K. You can't even get to AIZ's act 2 boss.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.