don't click here

Sonic Gems Collection PS2 hex editing

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Eviltaco64, Aug 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eviltaco64

Eviltaco64

Hopelessly Lost in Aisle 5 Member
    It's a very simple hex edit, really.

Just open your copy of Sonic Gems Collection with a hex editor and search for BGM_US (I believe you search twice) or just scroll down to line 1353439A. Replace "US" with "JP" so it plays the Japanese music:

[​IMG]

I tested it in PCSX2 after the hex edit and it played the Japanese soundtrack! :)

Do note that it takes a while to save as the .iso is roughly 1.8 GB. ;)

Thanks for reading,
    Eviltaco64

2. Shoemanbundy

Shoemanbundy

Researcher
    Chicago, Illinois
    selling shoes
    So the US Gems collection had the JP soundtrack left in it? Weird.

3. Eviltaco64

Eviltaco64

Well, for PS2 at least (the Gamecube version is region-specific). Sega had to include both the English and Japanese region data on one DVD so that if you were to score a Japanese copy, you'd still be stuck with the American soundtrack (unless, of course, you have a Japanese PS2). :/

4. MathUser

MathUser

3rd top wiki contributor Researcher
    I think this FAQ must be for the EU version of Sonic Gems Collection. So it having US in the ISO is a bit odd when the game was never released in the US for the PS2.

5. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    It's referring to the Sonic CD soundtrack division. Nothing more.

6. Eviltaco64

Eviltaco64

Even the PAL Gamecube version which is region-specific has the American Sonic CD soundtrack. :/

I once heard that Sega didn't have the rights to use the Japanese soundtrack outside of Japan.

Anyway, looking into this .iso a little more, it only seems to have a specific region's movies (opening, good and bad ending).

If you're really a big fan of the entire EU/JP Sonic CD soundtrack (including Toot Toot Sonic Warrior and all that), then find and hex edit the Japanese version. With that one, you even get the Bare Knuckle Trilogy. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.