don't click here

16-bit NiGHTS based off Sonic 1

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Arctides, Apr 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arctides

Arctides

I am a bloated bag of hate. Oldbie
    I post this fully aware that I will be either ignored, scolded, stomped on, or flamed down to a small pile of ashes.

I've had the idea for a few fortnights that it might be possible to create a 16-bit NiGHTS game that played at least slightly true to the previous games, using a rom of Sonic 1 as a base. I'm aware doing such a thing takes a great deal of time and effort. I as an individual lack knowledge, patience, and free time to even dream of working on a hack of my own. This isn't a request, but more along the lines of a suggestion.

I figure it would be more than possible to pull off, though I can't be quoted on that since I know little to nothing about ASM.

Just thought I'd throw that out instead of letting it rot inside my head.

2. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

Your friendly neighbourhood lemming. Oldbie
    Of course it's possible. Games like ChimpoQ! show you can use the Sonic engine to make things that look very non-sonic.

3. MathUser

MathUser

3rd top wiki contributor Researcher
    Don't forget Dustin Wyatt either. Even though it's early, it looks to be very non-sonic. Only thing that reminds me of sonic is the spin sound when he slides, And the sonic enemies, which I hope will be replaced in the final version with something more comedic.

4. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    There's the partner-in-crime Rockman Chaos but I don't know how that's coming along.

5. Ayla

Ayla

I shat on your desk ^^ Oldbie
    West Linn, OR
    Hacking Contest, StH Overlooked, Personal Indie game
    *scolds, stomps on, and flames down to a small pile of ashes*

Seriously, though... there was that gba nights iirc. Don't see how megadrive Nights would really be much harder. Honestly it might be easier considering they couldn't even put Sonic 1 on gba correctly =P

6. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    ...Considering that NiGHTS was based around a 3D course in a closed map, and that the human characters run across that 3D environment freely without following that course, I'd say that you'd have to re-invent some parts of the game to make it remotely similar to the original.

7. JoseTB

JoseTB

Tech Member
    I've thought of this many times before to tell the truth, the gba version didn't play that bad after all - but the fact there's no way to perform sprite rotation on the genny (okay, maybe by software but that would still be slow) makes it a bit hard. It might be a possibility to just store 360/4 frames for the body and another set of 360/4 sprites for the legs... but I personally don't have the time nor the patience for that.

8. JcFerggy

JcFerggy

Do you want to taco 'bout it? Member
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    GoldenEye: Source, Other Stuff
    I imagine something similar to S3Ks Doomday zone, but with 8-12 sets of rotated sptites, while still keeping to the NiGHTS style. It would be interesting to see it done.

9. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    Is there any way to filter the forums software so I don't ever see another post which combines the words 'Hack' and 'Idea'...?

Sorry to be a lil' bitchy diva, but what ever is wrong with actually realising an idea for one's self? Just a little concept I've been working on... =P

10. Sith

Sith

The molotov bitch Member
    Technically I think it's possible but requires patience, advanced asm skills, a great gfx artist and so on.
    You would need a team of skilled ppl to pull sth like this off a la Megamix.

11. Ayla

Ayla

I shat on your desk ^^ Oldbie
    West Linn, OR
    Hacking Contest, StH Overlooked, Personal Indie game
    this would far exceed anything that megamix did

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.