don't click here

Sonic 1 With Fries - Lock!

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Afti, Aug 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Afti

Afti

ORIGINAL MACHINE Member
    This isn't canceled. However, I AM scrapping huge amounts of content- and inserting even more. So, no updates for a while.

Current Video:
    Direct Link

2. GasparXR

GasparXR

I'm back! Member
    Ah, yes, the good ol' beginner's hack.

The palettes are pretty good, but the dark purple grass looks a little TOO dark. Try bumping all your purples up one value, and it should look better. It's only my opinion though, wait until you see what others say about it. The rest of GHZ is well done!

I like your originality with the Starlight palette. Though something about it bugs me: Perhaps it's because part of the background has almost the same colour as the walkway.

The Spring Yard palette is awesome, but the grey/black background colour looks bland in the screenshot. Try adding a little colour in there. In nothing works iout, keep it the way it is.

It's safe to say I'm gonna keep my eye on this hack. Keep at it!

3. So far so good, you may want to get yourself beta testers. I'm loving all the palettes, especially SLZ. Keep up the good work! :argh:

4. Master3k

Master3k

Not bad! The palettes are good to the eyes (I <3 SLZ pallet) , there is basic ASM...if you keep it up, you'll be producing a great hack in small time.

EDIT:Grammar

5. Afti

Afti

ORIGINAL MACHINE Member
    I'm surprised at the reaction to this, actually.

Anyway...

GasparXR: Yeah, I thought the grass might be too dark.

New MHZ grass:

[​IMG]

Also... I haven't started on the Iron Fortress layout yet, but I need comments on the palette.

[​IMG]

6. GasparXR

GasparXR

I'm back! Member
    The grass on GHZ is definately better.

The SBZ palette... I've never seen an orange SBZ before, but it looks a little to bright. Try toning it down a little or add a little blue, if there isn't any in there yet.

7. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    I'm indifferent towards the purple in Green Hill and the orange in Scrap Brain, and blue in Labyrinth is a tad on the generic side, but Sunset Town is absolutely phenomenal. In addition, I'm extremely happy to see new layouts are in the works; in my opinion, those define the individual feel of a hack, and are extremely important in drawing appeal—even moreso than ASM hacks, by a significant margin. What I see looks extremely promising, so kudos! :argh:

Do you have any plans of making videos of your new levels? I'd be interested in seeing some of your new layouts in action. ;)

8. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    I think New Utopia is the best looking, actually, though Sunset Town is pretty cool. As was noted, the shading on the background of the Sunset town building is off.

9. Afti

Afti

ORIGINAL MACHINE Member
    I'm currently finding a nice palette for that building, but until then, enjoy some more of Sunset Town. It actually is the second level, by the way.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sunset Town is interesting because it has several routes to the finish, each of which really emphasizes a different gameplay style. These screens are of the bottom route, which is all about speed. However, there are several other paths which play in a completely different fashion.

Also...

[​IMG]

Better or worse?

Sorry, muteKi... There won't be any more New Utopia screens until release; it's the final level, and I don't want to give anything away.

10. GasparXR

GasparXR

I'm back! Member
    That red is painful on the eyes.

I'm not gonna give you a colour to make it better; try a bunch of different colours until you find one that you like.

11. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
  12. GasparXR

GasparXR

I'm back! Member
    Try looking through the hack name to see if they've been taken already, it would help. =P

EDIT: Damn, I got beat to the punch too X_X

13. Puto

Puto

Shin'ichi Kudō, detective. Tech Member
    Portugal, Oeiras
    Part of Team Megamix, but haven't done any actual work in ages.
    Needs moar name originality there.

14. Afti

Afti

ORIGINAL MACHINE Member
    Eh, crap. There's a new name now.

15. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    You could always call it Sonic the Hedgehog - A New Adventure or something like that. That is the point of the hack, isn't it? =P

(I'd suggest South Island Adventure, but that's taken as well... :\)

16. GasparXR

GasparXR

I'm back! Member
    Sonic 1 with Fries? LOL, that's one of the most random hack name's I've ever heard. I guess it's original, too, so it works. =\

EDIT: #1 poster for today =P

17. Sith

Sith

The molotov bitch Member
    Sonic with Fries. I lol'd but you surely caught my attention with that name.

18. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
  19. Afti

Afti

ORIGINAL MACHINE Member
    Sith got it right. Name is meaningless once they're hooked, so it should catch as much attention as possible.

[​IMG]
    Maybe this?

EDIT: muteKi, that's actually quite a nice idea. Hold on...

20. GasparXR

GasparXR

I'm back! Member
    SBZ looks better so far, I think it should stay, unless you find a better one. =)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.