don't click here

Dead end - Sonic 3 prototype in Germany? NO WAY? NO WAY!

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by drx, Jan 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drx

drx

mfw Researcher
    :rolleyes:
    Just so the information gets out, I hit a dead end in Germany.

I've talked to (on a phone) a certain publisher/journalist from an old German newspaper about prototypes he told Oerg he has but is not allowed to sell.

Long story short - he has *some* Megadrive prototypes, but to any questions about them he just replied 'I am not allowed to give any information' etc. I explained bit rot to him, and how many SEGA and Sonic developers gave me prototypes, etc etc. Still, no dice.

I've of course tried to get him to back the games up, without any involvement on my part, but he said he was not allowed to do it, and it was the publisher's decision.

I've got three options:

1) forget about them (yeah right)
    2) wait a few years until:
    - someone contacts me about it
    - I can influence people more with money/go there and talk to people personally
    3) try to get SEGA involved, but that would:
    a) get me nowhere
    b) could lead to some nasty stuff

I'm a little sad about this, myself. Man, what a stressful job, getting prototypes =P

;______;

2. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

Your friendly neighbourhood lemming. Oldbie
    Come on drx, the German's invaded Poland, it's time for you to invade Germany. RAID HIS HOUSE! I mean erm... yeah.

3. Shade

Shade

This is the right answer.

4. Skaarg

Skaarg

haha nice Q.

Anyways I wouldn't give up, some people can easily be persuaded by money. Mention how much you paid for the S2 NA prototype or ones like the Xtreme prototype went for. Of course I know you didn't get the Xtreme prototype, but it's just maybe use it as an example to the person that they are worth money.

5. Wincherway

Wincherway

Obnoxious user
    I'm sure that he will be convienced in some part.

Atleast I think so.

I have no opinion about this, but yes, maybe something what Skaarg said would work.

And drx, you have been dumping alot of prototypes, and that needs sometimes luck. And you do have ALOT of it.

6. drx

drx

mfw Researcher
    When I say dead end, I mean dead end. I wouldn't post if I wasn't absolutely sure there was nothing to do about it (unless I find $1 million lying on the street tomorrow, that is). I did offer a lot of money to him, in my earlier email. I understand him, in a way. But yeah, it still sucks.

However, he did give me a clue that he is not aware of (about the whereabouts of the prototypes).

If I had more funds, I'd go to Germany and just find and get the prototype myself, with his help or not.

And I was even ready to go there and dump the carts on the spot, with him watching, he was against that too, though.

7. LocalH

LocalH

roxoring your soxors Tech Member
    I would not be against getting SEGA involved if it's truly an absolute dead end. Even if we don't get dumps, SEGA is more liable to get the carts dumped for preservation than this guy seems to be (since you said he seems to be totally against even private backup). And since the carts are technically SEGA's property anyway, they might like to have them back. What sort of nasty things do you think can result from getting them involved?

8. Skaarg

Skaarg

You say SEGA would maybe want the prototype that this guy has, but what about the prototypes drx already has? So I could see why drx wouldn't want to get someone from SEGA involved.

9. drx

drx

mfw Researcher
    SEGA is like a prototype hoarder. I think the analogy is self-explanatory and suits the situation well. The protos would probably be lost forever AND not be backed up (yeah, trust SEGA nowadays to do anything right... right)

I don't care about this. I'm in Poland, so the most they can do is dream of suing me. Especially over 15 year old prototypes =P

The problem is that I don't have anybody in SEGA Germany. That, and they wouldn't care about the carts anyway. I've got contacts in SOA, but that's about it.

We're (I and Oerg) trying to ask a former SEGA Germany employee if there is anything we can do or anything he can do to help us. It's worth a try, I guess.

10. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

Your friendly neighbourhood lemming. Oldbie
    Yes SEGA, the company that had a Saturn dev stuff bonfire, I'm sure they'd care about archiving prototypes.

11. drx

drx

mfw Researcher
    They threw most Megadrive prototypes in the trash, the rest was recycled. Yay.

12. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    These greedy hoarders. Don't they understand how useless those games will be unless backed up?

Well, good luck with getting this. My god I want to play a Sonic 3 prototype so much (WAY more then Sonic 1). Hope all ends up going well.

13. CloverCC

CloverCC

You know, if Sega has the sonic the hedgehog prototypes.. What do they do with them? Play them, or just keep them hidden up for no reason?

14. Metal Man88

Metal Man88

Time Traveller Oldbie
    Probably as said earlier, recycle or throw them away.

Considering old SEGA did that, the current one would probably be even more extreme as to go "Mine! Mine to destroy!" take the protos, and then annihilate them.

After all, technically their process of making prototype includes their 'trade secrets' on how they make games. Even if they may not use them or keep them anymore, they probably don't want any one else to have it. (I.E. they're not the kind of company to go "We did this beta stuff, and now we shall let you enjoy it." Getting SEGA in on him would only be useful as a spite move, as it'd get him in trouble and such, but otherwise destroy the prototypes more thoroughly than that man holding onto them can.

15. LocalH

LocalH

roxoring your soxors Tech Member
  16. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    but they still have some sonic protos...at least that's the feeling I got.

17. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
  18. drx

drx

mfw Researcher
    A certain department of SOA (for example) did archive some prototypes. The problem is, the choice of games was arbitrary, and the versions were usually late betas or finals, since developers didn't have to submit alphas.

On most projects however, there was total chaos when it comes to prototypes, versioning etc. Most projects didn't even have versions...

The only serious backups they kept were daily/weekly backup tapes, recycled every three months. You know, so they wouldn't lose entire project to data loss =P

Now, it might be totally different for SOJ, but I haven't really contacted any SOJ employees yet, sans for one that wasn't very helpful.

19. 87th

87th

FOX HOUNDER Member
  20. no one

no one

[Attempted PA dodging] Banned
    Well, Sonic 3 was a beta of Sonic and Knuckles.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.