don't click here

Lava reef pallete in S3

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by JoseTB, Jul 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JoseTB

JoseTB

Tech Member
    [​IMG]

Not only the exact animated lava pallete is present, but also the code which animates it (get s3 savestate here), placing the animation in the CRAM where it goes in the final lava reef pallete. This proves that Lava reef was already finished or near to be finished at that point, at least in terms of graphics. Probably deleted before the release.

The pallete in question is located at $2EFE in the S3 rom; and, is a byte-exact copy compared to the final lava reef animated pallete in SK/S3K, which, just in case you want to check, is located at $327E.

Not much, but I thought people should know about this. I'm pretty sure this is not the only leftover from unfinished/deleted/whatever zones in s3 though, seeing that even the animation code was present.

2. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    Depending on the way the development was structured, it doesn't necessarily even prove that the graphics were near complete, just that the palette was completed. If they'd already decided on the basic idea of "a fire level" then making a palette to match doesn't require the other level art to be complete. Theoretically, the palette could have been done first so that the rest of the level's graphics would have something to match.

3. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Most levels simply have a solid palette meant to use the general color scheme of the rotating one, before the actual rotating palette is usually implemented. I'm pretty sure they had a decent bit in at some point, but took out the core aspects of it since it wasn't going to be in the retail Sonic 3 release. That doesn't necessarily imply completion, mind you, but to say the rotation was made "just in case" is pretty ignorant, and I don't think it's a valid explanation for its existence in S3.

4. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    This kind of makes me wonder why they do such a bad job getting rid of stuff in these games. Sonic 2 has evidence of like 4 levels. Sonic 3 has all of these little tidbit remainders. So strange.

5. Metal Man88

Metal Man88

Time Traveller Oldbie
    Easy: They don't expect people to reverse-engineer their code looking for it.

Because otherwise, these remnants become invisible to normal players.

6. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    More info about this proto Lava Reef...

It seems to load some uncompressed graphics to simulate more parallax scrolling in the background, which were overwritten by Marble Garden's uncompressed tar graphics in this build. It seems that (unlike Hill Top, which loads them continously), this level changed these graphics only when the screen was scrolling.

Is this known to happen in the final Lava Reef?

EDIT: Oh, and Act 2 seems to load a rotating palette as well, but it just doesn't move.

7. Liliam

Liliam

Previously Fred Oldbie
    I'm going to take a guess and say it has to do with the little Death Egg sprite that appears near the top of the background when playing as Sonic.

8. SMTP

SMTP

Tech Member
    Yes this does indeed happen. It also does it in ICZ's underground background.

9. drx

drx

mfw Researcher
    :rolleyes:
    After seeing some evidence (which I can't unfortunately post here yet), I'm quite convinced they had a lot of S3&K finished (90% or even more) before they even released Sonic 3. Sega is dirty.

10. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    They're dirty indeed. They should have just released new levels for S&K instead of removing anything, and it would have been a much better experience.

I really went WTF after clearing Sonic 3 before lunch, the day I got to play it. I was like, "Is that all? Why was it more expensive than Sonic 2, then?".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.