don't click here

SEGA backup tapes + a question.

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by drx, Jun 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drx

drx

mfw Researcher
    :rolleyes:
    So after some hefty research, I finally (yay) found and contacted the person who used to back up all SoA code and data for 10 years (1990-1999). He's a pretty nice guy, he told me how it was done.

Basically, they did monthly backups of everything, but unfortunately the tapes were recycled every 3 months, so there's nothing left. Big shame, but I'm glad that I know the truth, and it wasn't easy to find this guy, mind you. I have talked to tens of SEGA people and nobody remembered his last name =P

I guess one mystery got resolved.

Anyway, I also have a question. What probably most people don't understand (I don't really blame them, but it's true) is that finding all this stuff/people is hard work (most of the time, anyway). You have to search for hours, sometimes days, and usually you get nothing 99 times out of 100. You have to make lots of decisions (like which contact to use when, for what etc, it's not like you can exploit a dev guy forever).

So I was thinking, I contacted many people, I know a lot of stuff, probably more than anyone has ever knew about Sonic development. I cannot say some stuff, at least not yet, but some of the stuff I've been keeping hidden for no reason other than that I've thought that it would be boring for most people (and it probably would).

It's really nothing interesting most of the time, but to give you an example, I know origins of pretty much every released Sonic proto there is (the Sonic Crackers story is an interesting one, I might add). So I wanted to ask if anybody would be interested in such stuff. If not, I'll just shut up and lurk moar.

2. 87th

87th

FOX HOUNDER Member
    In a community of people who go ape shit over the idea that Sonic was originally supposed to bump off walls in Sonic 2, I'm sure there would be a lot of interest in this type of stuff.

3. Robjoe

Robjoe

I agree with 87th. Spill every last bean, I promise to read it all. =P

Also, nice find with the tape backup guy, an intriguing tidbit of information there.

4. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    I'm game for the origin stories. :)

5. Bibin

Bibin

DON'T LET THE SUN LAUGH AT YOU. Member
    New York City
    Ghost in the Machine
    I love stories as such. I'd be glad to hear them.

6. SGR

SGR

Give me the gams. Member
    Do Crackers first since it sounds the most interesting. But either way, spill your guts and let us have it.

7. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Orgin stories sound interesting. Do tell (Sonic 3 and Knuckles, Sonic Crackers, and Sonic Adventure would be extremely interesting to me)

8. drx

drx

mfw Researcher
    :rolleyes:
    There are no S3K protos that I know of (yet).

9. Metal Man88

Metal Man88

Time Traveller Oldbie
    Of course, I'd like to hear. I played Crackers and found myself wondering what the heck it was doing out on the internet.

10. CloverCC

CloverCC

Count me in. From first letter to final punctuation, I will read everything entirely, as I'm very, very curious about most of that stuff.

11. Techokami

Techokami

For use only on NTSC Genesis systems Researcher
    HoleNet!
    Sonic Worlds Next
    I'd like to hear about Crackers, mostly.

12. *gathers around the fire*

Tell me a story!

13. hxc

hxc

spotteddove Researcher
    Nice idea, drx.

I'm up for this related to xtreme as well, I have shitloads of contacts, shitloads of info that isn't released, and my main problem? I'm lazy and have let it pile up.

Do people really want all this information, however trivial some of it may be? I'm up for releasing it and all (with exceptions that I wish massively I could release, but can't), but it would take time and the like...

14. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    You're wondering if the people who blow their wad when a lost tile is found in a prototype want trivial information on prototype or canned Sonic games?

Were you honestly expecting someone to say "no"?

15. Quexinos

Quexinos

Since 1997 Oldbie
    No I don't want to hear this... NEVER NEVER *Covers ears and sings*

seriously though, why would you think we wouldn't want that? O_O.
    tteeeellll meeeeeeee

16. Ashura2k

Ashura2k

Thants. Oldbie
    Gather 'round everyone! Drx is about to tell a story!

17. hxc

hxc

spotteddove Researcher
    It is mainly because a lot of the information isn't actually that relevant, or important..... and it's a lot of work to package it all up and write about it.

18. JoseTB

JoseTB

Tech Member
    I'd be interested too, of course. I don't doubt it'll take time to write all this stuff, but yeah, you can be sure is going to be read.

19. dust hill resident

dust hill resident

Oldbie
    London
    Making music
    I'm interested in hearing it... for sure. It'd be a blast to read.

20. Bibin

Bibin

DON'T LET THE SUN LAUGH AT YOU. Member
    New York City
    Ghost in the Machine
    I'm so interested, I bought you a muffin drx.
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.