don't click here

The Supreme Topic of 'Other' Knowledge.

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by McGuirk, Jan 10, 2007.

1. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    That's interesting! According to the wiki, Knuckles as we know him was originally coloured green - I wonder if that was a hangover from the more dinosaur-esque original design mentioned here?

2. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
  3. Blast Brothers

Blast Brothers

Is it bad that that reminded me of this?

4. Windii

Windii

Robot Stonks Riser Member
    I finished subtitling the Sonic Adventure at Tokyo International Forum presentation video today. I had help from some friends, and we are very proud of this.
    [youtube]http://youtu.be/xKYkVdv2Y7c[/youtube]

5. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

That was a really interesting watch. You guys did a great job!

6. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    You don't see these Sonic PC Twin Packs very often on eBay:

[​IMG]

That's one nice looking Sonic CD screenshot. My first assumption was that they've obviously taken it when Sonic hits Robotnik, but upon closer inspection, it looks like genuine palette errors.

This amuses me - the game can be a bit difficult to run on certain systems - is this a case of Activision not meeting the requirements they've printed on their own box?

7. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    Ars Technica published a list of leaked Steam player estimates direct from Valve of over 13,000 games as of July 1st. There's data from every Sonic-related game aside from Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing.

1. SEGA Mega Drive and Genesis Classics - 1,514,485
    2. Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed Collection - 1,232,451
    3. Sonic Generations Collection - 647,871
    4. Sonic Adventure 2 - 416,375
    5. Sonic Adventure DX - 291,205
    6. Sonic CD - 241,011
    7. Sonic Mania - 168,633
    8. Sonic the Hedgehog 4 - Episode I - 144,813
    9. Sonic the Hedgehog 4 - Episode II - 83,454
    10. Sonic Lost World - 72,200
    11. Sonic Forces - 34,165
    Well, Mania appears to be outselling Forces nearly 5:1, but it's still lower than I expected. I definitely didn't expect Transformed to double Generations.

8. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I wouldn't say it's a low number, considering that the titles directly above it have been out for more than five years now.

9. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

145k on Steam is lower than I would have expected too, to be honest with you. But in addition to a difference in the number of times it's been purchases, Mania hasn't been a part of the hugely discounted sales that all of the titles above it have been. The Sonic 4 games on the other hand have been (not sure about Lost World or Forces), so in all relative terms it's doing well.

It makes me as happy as it makes me sad to see Forces performing badly. On the one hand, I really dislike the game and wanted it to perform poorly (especially in relation to Mania) to convey a message about how that game is not okay. On the other hand, I don't want Sonic games to be bad.

10. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I see that Lost World is in my Steam library, so it must have been part of one of those really cheap bundles at some point...

11. Every title on Steam, aside from Forces and Mania obviously, were in a humble bundle one or two summers ago. Plus there are constantly flash sales going on for them. With that in mind, I'd consider Mania's sales to be pretty impressive.

12. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    If Mania has sold over a million copies, and the PC version has sold less than 1/4 of that, I suppose the PC market isn't as big on Sonic as consoles are. If I were to speculate, I'd guess Switch had the most sales, then PS4, then XB1 and PC may be around the same amount.

13. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    You also have to consider that some PC users might dislike Steam, and the Denuvo crap on top on that (not to mention the initial delay). I'm more than sure that a good old physical release would have sold a lot more. Also, it can be a niche as much as you want, but the fact that the game doesn't run on Windows XP might have been a factor as well.

14. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    I'm not sure you can really compare sales numbers in this way - all of these games were released in different time periods at different price points.

Traditionally you'd graph sales against time and compare like-for-like after x months. Though even then, Forces costing three times as much at launch will skew things.

What this might suggest is that people aren't really buying their Sonic games for PC. Which is believable - I'm not.

15. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    Something interesting I noticed in this tweet showing enemy sketches from Sonic CD - Mosqui is labelled as "Kameka", the name it appeared under in Sonic Triple Trouble the following year. So it appears this name originated during CD's development and was discarded, but the Triple Trouble team still used the original name - possibly they were given reference assets such as these sketches, which originated from the period where they were still using the earlier name?

There are also names written for some of the others - I only managed to spot this one due to comparing with what's on the wiki, but I'm sure someone with actual Japanese skills could give us the names on the sketches for some of the others. Some of them haven't appeared in manuals or the like, so all we currently have are the internal names which are usually simply descriptive in nature (i.e. Hotaru = Firefly) - it'd be interesting to know if actual names were ever documented, even if it's possible these may have been superceded later in development.

16. Fred

Fred

Taking a break Oldbie
    Portugal
    Sonic 3 Unlocked
    All the others are the same, I'm afraid.

????? hotarumeka - firefly mecha
    ??????? dendenmushimeka - snail mecha
    ????? tagamemeka - water bug mecha
    ??????? arijigokumeka - antlion mecha
    ??? kameka - mosquito mecha
    ?????? kamakirimeka - mantis mecha

17. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    Ah, thought the names might just relate to their internal designations as I thought I recognised the characters for hotaru at the start of its name on the sketch - good to have it confirmed by someone who can actually read Japanese, though! Seems like when they were designed they were just given a descriptive name with "mecha" appended - presumably the ones found in the source labels would have had "mecha" appended on their original sketches too. Guessing actual names weren't thought up until well after these were produced, then - I wonder if badniks which didn't appear in finalised promotional art were even assigned proper names?

Then again, I suppose it's possible that somewhere promotional art and names exist for all of them and they've just never been released - the case in point being whichever one it was which turned up with previously-unseen official art and a proper name in an old issue of Beep! MegaDrive...

18. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    [​IMG]

"Copyright Promotions Ltd." (which are now "Copyright Promotions Licensing Group" and are quite big) were given the rights to license the Sonic the Hedgehog brand in the UK and probably parts of Europe during the early 1990s.

If we're ever to do a competition for weirdest licensed Sonic products, this is my opening hand.

19. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    I remember seeing that somewhere before.

20. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    I have that! Er... well, had it. When I was 11 my mom started knitting a sweater for me using the pattern. When I turned 16, she still hadn't finished it, so she hired someone to do it. I'm not sure where the book is now. It's probably still in the house, as my mom was diligent about getting her books back, although her knitting stuff takes up 2.5 rooms so I doubt I'll ever find it!

The patterns were rather lame. And one had Sonic's arms in blue, so someone wasn't paying attention. I think I wrote on the book that this was an error, so I've probably spoiled it.

The same company made patterns for knitting Power Rangers and Care Bears toys (amongst others), but sadly they didn't do one of those for Sonic.