don't click here

Odd Sonic ads - Beta footage!

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Tweaker, Dec 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    I was browsing YouTube, and found two old Sonic adverts in particular that caught my interest... (uploaded recently, too).

Sonic 1 Ad - GHZ1, player gets 1up with 50 rings; LZ, small portion of lower, removed background is shown (I also think SLZ might be lacking BG scrolling).

Sonic 2 Ad - Beta title screen (they changed it REAL late, didn't they?) with menu, BLAST PROCESSING (<3), slanted CPZ corners, et al... Anyone else notice anything different with this one? Someone try and get a look at the split screen to see if it says Tails or Sonic... I can't tell.

Interesting stuff... Any ideas, guys? I'm guessing these ads were both made fairly late in development, so we may be able to figure that these differences were stripped at the last minute. LZ's lower background in particular intrigues me - why remove it? Looked pretty hawt to me (maybe it was a mistake from the vertical wrap? Or had they already decided on changing a majority of the BG? Who knows). I can figure why they changed the 50 ring 1up, though - it's way too easy to obtain.

What about that elusive beta S2 title screen? It's shown up everywhere - the manual, a strategy guide, Nick Arcade... hell, even TV ads now! (was this ad running after the game was released?) Surely there has to have been SOME important, vital reason for it to have been changed last second, shouldn't there? Issues with whoever sprited the original title screen art, maybe? It boggles the mind.

Your thoughts?

2. drx

drx

mfw Researcher
    :rolleyes:
    Well first of all ads are made way before the final release, so it often happens that we see some proto footage in ads.

Secondly, Sonic 2 was finished in big big rush, the last two weeks were horrible I heard. No wonder this title screen was a last minute change. Makes me kinda wonder what else didn't make it to the final.

Edit: And since you asked, they probably changed it because:

a) the new one was awesome
    b) the old one was just... old and felt like the Sonic 1 one too much
    c) it was too plain?

3. Billy

Billy

RIP Oderus Urungus Member
    Colorado, USA
    Indie games
    Wow, I just noticed that LZ thing.
    [​IMG]

4. Heran Bago

Heran Bago

Ah! It's Puyo battle then. Tech Member
    Same today. Big Smoke in GTA:SA never had his hat on in any of the adds.

5. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    This is quite old... But anyway, I think it was Tom Payne who told me that in the last weeks many guys from Japan were brought in to finish everything before the deadline was met. I believe this included the credits, and very possibly the title screen, seeing how it's different even in the instructions manual.

6. Varion Icaria

Varion Icaria

He's waiting.... Tech Member
    S4: Cybernetic Outbreak
    Death Egg was rushed because it was supposed to have different 8x8 suppliment like Hill Top does to Emerald Hill, Along with Wing Fortress.

7. Hayate

Hayate

Tech Member
    I would imagine that whoever drew the final title screen had drawn it a long time before release, but it simply didn't get put in the game until just before the release, due to it being relatively unimportant.

8. drx

drx

mfw Researcher
    :rolleyes:
    In other news you are the master of porting levels.

9. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

Your friendly neighbourhood lemming. Oldbie
    If anyone has that Sonic 1 advert on cassete I will buy it off them.

EDIT: Oh and if Waynes World comes out on HD DVD hopefully we can get some higher resolution rips of the Sonic 1 footage.

10. BadCopNoDonut

BadCopNoDonut

O RLY? Oldbie
    Sonic D T
    I can't read if it says Sonic or Tails on the second screen icon. Its clearly a Tails icon, but I'm sure you noticed that. As for sound effects, were the slot machine sound effects just outside sounds put in to go with the game footage? What I heard was different than the final slot machine sounds, but its probably just a generic slot machine sound for the ad. Another thing, there is the beta title screen, but the final version art of CNZ. I'm assuming that this was the version of Sonic 2 between the Sonic 2 Simon Wai beta, and the final version. If this is so, then whatever happened to copies of this particular version?

11. superstarCSB

superstarCSB

snootch Member
    Lawrence, Kansas
    I probably should get back to work on my site someday...
    I found some introduction videos to Sonic 2 and 3 that are in Japanese. It would be nice if there was someone out there that could translate them. The Sonic 3 one give an abbreviated history of Sonic in general with those early sketches of character designs. At the end of the Sonic 2 one, there's a cool making of from one of the commercials you can find on the Sonic Jam Saturn disc. Also, I'm not sure if there's any beta videos in this or not. The Sonic 2 one shows a commercial for the Sega Genesis and shows Sonic 1 in a possible earlier version.

Sonic 2 Intro Video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIPMhau5GLo...ted&search=

Sonic 3 Intro Video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gJwetZpQBg...ted&search=

12. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    Maybe they changed the title screen because of the Game Gear version? Can't have two same title screens. Meh...

13. ddrmaxromance

ddrmaxromance

In both Sonic 2 videos: Miles text is seen everywhere instead of "Tails." Like in the Special Stage and 2 Player mode. This is obviously a no brainer to see.

I also found in the intro video that at the beginning of CNZ, the ring isn't shaped like a + (the placement is different)

[​IMG]

In the intro video, they also clearly show that the bug fix had been implemented. It happens during Hill Top Zone (around 5:10) in which the player loses rings for going on the spikes, and then jumps back onto the spikes afterwards without dieing.

1965 (part of the level code code) is also shown the Japanese subtitle text at 7:34

The ending bit (around 8:30) is pretty sweet as well.

14. Sazpaimon

Sazpaimon

Tech Member
    That's his birthday, it shows the same for the Yuji Naka part, except his birthday (1965/9/17)

15. ddrmaxromance

ddrmaxromance

Yeah, thought it was something to add. =P

16. Quickman

Quickman

be attitude for gains Tech Member
    :x
    omg porjcet
    [​IMG]

This is the best badnik ever put in the game. Pity they took it out. :(

17. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
  18. djdocsonic

djdocsonic

Testing YOUR Hacks Since 2005... Member
    Emerald Hill Zone
    Looking for a Rom Hack to Test.
    I for one was quite glad they changed the S2 title screen, I thought Sonic looked really weird on that particular screen. He looks much cooler and much sleeker on the Final Title Screen.

DJ

19. Wemes

Wemes

Not that these aren't cool and all, but why does the Sonic 3 video intorduce itself with video and music from Sonic CD...

20. Lostgame

Lostgame

producer/turnablist. homebrew dev. cosplayer. Oldbie
    Toronto, ON
    The O.I.C.
    I love how that video says "Dr. Eggman"-take that, Robotnik faggots.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.