don't click here

Conceptual Stage: Sonikaruga

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Quickman, Nov 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Quickman

Quickman

be attitude for gains Tech Member
    :x
    omg porjcet
    Following my success at restoring Hidden Palace Zone (if you can call it that), I decided to try my hand at something slightly more difficult. Therefore I present to you...
    [​IMG]<h1>SONIKARUGA</h1><h2>?????</h2>with apologies to Treasure

<h2>Brief</h2>
    Sonic has a polarity which can be either white or black, which can be switched by pressing a button on the controller. Polarity is important:​
    • Rings of the same polarity will increase Sonic's ring count, while rings of opposing polarity will decrease it - if his ring count is zero, rings of opposing polarity become lethal. Fortunately there will be rings which are always the same polarity as Sonic; however, there will also be rings which are always of opposing polarity.
    • Sonic can stand on spikes of the same polarity safely, but spikes of opposing polarity will cause damage.
    • Destroying enemies of the same polarity as Sonic will cause Sonic's point score to increase, but destroying enemies of opposing polarity will decrease the score. This is important since to enter the Special Stage you must gain or exceed a certain score by the end of the level.
    • Sonic can absorb projectiles of the same polarity as himself, but is hurt by projectiles of opposing polarity. Enemies may switch their polarity and fire projectiles of different polarities each time, so look out! (Sonic still gets hurt by stuff running into him when he's not curled up regardless of polarity, so don't try that one.)
    • Robotnik also has a polarity which he changes; if Sonic hits him while they are of differing polarities, Sonic is the one who gets hurt.
    A possibility would be collecting all six emeralds to unlock Super Sonic, using the "neutral" (red/pink) colours in the palette. He cannot be killed except for falling into pits; for him, all rings increment ring count and all enemies increment score.​

2. Ambil

Ambil

I want that heinous hedgehog hammered! Member
    r0x. If you succeed at this, then you should be then proud of being a techie. :D

3. SMTP

SMTP

Tech Member
    Very good idea, I always loved Ikaruga. I just have to question how difficult this is going to be... You'd have to edit the code to every single object.. =P

4. Quickman

Quickman

omg porjcet
    Indeed I will. I'll also have to find out how to come up with some nice big level layouts full of evil design and paths which require you to have a particular polarity to get to them.

5. BadCopNoDonut

BadCopNoDonut

O RLY? Oldbie
    Sonic D T
    This sounds like an awesome idea, but seriously, won't this take years to do? Don't you think this might be biting off a bit much?

6. Quickman

Quickman

omg porjcet
    I don't think it'll take years. Months, maybe. It depends how much I work on it. I anticipate a similar timescale as Cinossu's S1EE.

7. Dragonsbrethren

Dragonsbrethren

Sounds awesome, looking forward to playing it when it's done.

8. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    Sonic the Hedgehog Extended Edition
    :P Years then.

I look forward to seeing as to how you implement all of this.

9. Lostgame

Lostgame

producer/turnablist. homebrew dev. cosplayer. Oldbie
    Toronto, ON
    The O.I.C.
    This kind of reminds me of Metroid Prime 2 : Echoes.

Sounds like a great idea, but why use it on Sonic? Why not make a game from scratch with it? It's such a brilliant idea for a platformer...

I never really liked Ikaruga, though. It seemed kinda... well, let's just say I don't like top-down shooters. They're just too damn boring and repetitive for me.

But the polarity thing in a platformer would be orgasmic. Again, though, it seems a waste of a hack...

10. Quickman

Quickman

omg porjcet
    It's not my idea to use, and I don't think as a game in its own right it would interest people. The changing-polarity idea has been done before, in a couple of different guises - Ikaruga is the obvious one, and Dynamite Headdy has a level based around the idea of flipping the level over. It at least adds an interesting new dimension to Sonic.

I don't have the skill to write a game from scratch on ANY platform. I can use Sonic to do things because I know to an extent how the engine works, but I can't write my own engine. That requires a knowledge of the Megadrive hardware that I just don't have.

11. Quickman

Quickman

omg porjcet
    EDIT: Nothing in this post was relevant, so I removed all of it. :D

12. SMTP

SMTP

Tech Member
    Super Magnetic NEO!! :P

13. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Perhaps you should do this in Sonic 2, as there's not so many graphics that depend on the first palette.

14. Quickman

Quickman

omg porjcet
    Sonic 2 has far less free space and is far less flexible. Besides, Cinossu's given me some code so fixing all the graphics that depend on the first palette is relatively trivial.

15. drx

drx

mfw Researcher
    :rolleyes:
    To change the bank to YY8xxx, you need to change this byte:

-in the uncompressed driver, the byte at 0x19 to YY
    -in the compressed driver, the byte at 0x72e98 to YY

so eg, if you want to change the bank to 238xxx, you need to change the byte at 0x19 or 0x72e98 to 23.

16. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    That, and it's directly supported by SonED.

17. Quickman

Quickman

omg porjcet
    drx, you rule. Sega sound is back in action, baybeh.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the colour change code not working is an emulation bug in Kega; LocalH, Qjimbo or anyone else capable of testing on hardware, do you have a Game Genie or equivalent device to test the colour change with (since I can't test on hardware or set up dummy objects)?

18. LocalH

LocalH

roxoring your soxors Tech Member
    Not that I can use to do RAM patching, but I can hook the Vint to stuff the necessary values in RAM, which works just as well.

19. Quickman

Quickman

omg porjcet
    Great. Can you drop by the IRC and give me a bell?

Also, just thought I'd share this mockup of the title screen which drx has agreed to do.

[​IMG]

20. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    This is a brilliant idea.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.