don't click here

Extensive memory editors

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Mr. Fox, Nov 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox

Hi all. This is my first big, actual post on this forum.

I made all of this stuff quite a long time ago. I didn't want to release it, 'cause many of the values are known and many are not too hard to find and overall it's not that deeply technical as ASM for instance. But I was kinda persuaded to release it still. So here you go.

What is it?

It's memory editors based on Gens Plus, covering almost all important values (not just rings, lives, time and stuff, but also editing physics, water level, debug chars and a lot of other neat stuff) for these games:
    Sonic 1
    Sonic 2
    Sonic 3
    Sonic & Knuckles
    Sonic 3 & Knuckles
    Sonic 2 & Knuckles
    Sonic 1 & Knuckles
    Sonic 2 Beta
    Sonic Spinball
    Sonic 3D
    Knuckles Chaotix
    Sonic CD
    Ristar

How to use it?

First you'll need Gens Plus. Extract my files to Cheats folder. Then press Ctrl+E in the game to access the cheat menu.

Some tips and explanations:

To load any level with any character just access the cheat menu within the short pause when the level loads. If you enable shield with the cheat, the tiles for it will not load, but it will still function properly. You can also edit speed, acceleration and slowdown of a character.
    The most interesting thing is the "screen mode" present in all the 4 classic games, it chooses the mode the game runs in (ingame or not, demo, title, credits, menus, etc, etc). For example with it you can access the "lost" s2 menus in s3. I mapped all the variables for it, so there should be no problem.
    Also I've found a lot of so called "debug" characters. The most popular is of course Blue Kmuckles, but there are also secret chars in s2, the slot 3 in s2 is Tails with sonic icon and ruined collision detection. wtf? There also extra characters in competion mode in s3, there 3 more slots - fast knux, slow knux and extremely slow knux. wtf, again.
    Also, as you know the 2p mode in s2 uses the same level ID, only different loading conditions. I found the value. If you enable it while loading a level, it'll start in 2p mode. Beware of glitches in some levels though, as it wasn't intended by developers.
    Also, I've found X and Y positions' variables. Using it you can teleport around the level. Pretty neat.
    There are also codes to enable any cheats without actually entering them. Comes in handy.
    The interesting thing about variables in s1 is that you can actually change the colour of the emeralds you have (no pallete hacking). Each emerald has its color value. You can make em all green or yellow if you want. I remember reading about "all blue emerals glitch" on Cult, I guess it was related to these values.
    Strangely enough demo mode can be enabled or disabled at anytime. You can disable it while watching demo and continue playing it! Or other way round.
    There's also many other stuff like changing water level in levels with water and etc, etc.

Please enjoy.

Attached Files:

2. Quickman

Quickman

be attitude for gains Tech Member
    :x
    omg porjcet
    I...uh...

I don't mean to put a damper on things, but... don't Game Genie codes...sorta do the same thing as this? So really...you've reinvented the wheel.

3. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox

It's MEMORY editing, Game Genie edits ROM. Action Replay edits MEMORY though.

But I've found many useful and lost things, care to read. And besides, people now can cheat and mess with the game easily enough.

4. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Wow, this will be VERY useful. It's essentially a full RAM map! Nice job!

5. Dracula

Dracula

Oldbie
    I'm watching you!
    Converting NES Mappers to MMC5
    If gens have a hex memory viewer like virtuanes, you can do all kind of intresting stuff in the ram while the game is running. To bad that most genesis doesn't have them. This info is helpful.

6. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox

Thanks.

7. Heran Bago

Heran Bago

Ah! It's Puyo battle then. Tech Member
    Wow, these things are FUN. Blue knuckles has never been so easy! Still need to play with the Chaotix and Sonic CD ones, but the work put into these is really impressive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.