don't click here

New Sonic 2 version

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by ICEknight, May 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

As featured at Haze's MAME WIP page (scroll down to April 1st). There's some source update in there, but I don't know how it works or where to get the ROMs.

About the differences, note that the TIME counter is nowhere to be seen and the INSERT COIN(S) and CREDIT stuff only appears when needed. I wonder if they cut any levels like they did to Sonic 1...

EDIT: Well, looks like it's been partially supported since MAME 0.95U1:

2. Kles

Kles

Nifty. Look at ROMNation for the ROM, they seem to have it. I've never been good at figuring out MAME though so I can't run it. You go for it.

3. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Sweet. LOst can cut out the unecesarry bull from the ROM like he did with S1 Megaplay. I wonder if this is any different?

4. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    Perhaps Lost can port this baby to the Gen/MD like he did with S1.

Those screens look very interesting!

Edit: Download the ROM NEXT PAGE,

5. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    The ROM doesn't seem to use standard Genesis graphics. If you look through TLP you can find some weird things: (this is looking at it in GBA format, because it is slightly better looking)
    [​IMG]
    These are obviously the CNZ art used in the slots. Why is it uncompressed?

Also, anyone mind explaining how to get the MAME emu to work?

6. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    I'm afraid I don't understand what you mean about the compression. After all, this was uncompressed data in the ROM for genesis.

7. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

Your friendly neighbourhood lemming. Oldbie
    Anyone had any luck running the rom? Regular MAME just keeps throwing errors at me about a missing file :P

EDIT:
    Get MAME from here, then plonk turbo mame in the same folder as MAME. Create a folder in the roms folder called "mt_soni2" and put the rom files in it. Run tmame.exe Then type "mt_soni2" in the select game box :(

Attached Files:

8. Aurochs

Aurochs

Единый, могучий Советский Союз! Tech Member
    Whatever catches my fancy
    Well, I suppose you should look up that file on Google and drop it in the same directory as the other MAME files.

9. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

Aha! Apparently that extra file is the megatech bios, lets see if this works :D

EDIT: Yup it does :( Looks the same as regular Sonic 2 though

Attached Files:

10. Squints

Squints

All souped-up. And DESECRATED! Member
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    RIIIIIIIIIIDGE RACERRRRRRRRRRRR
    This is interesting to me. I never heard of Sonic arcade ports. Which levels were cut for the Sonic 1 port?
    Also, how come ICEknight's screens show no TIME, but QJimbo's does?

11. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Here's some info for you guys...

Rika, did you notice how the art is backwards? Everything in this ROM is byteswapped. I believe if we simply swap everything back, it'll work in an MD emulator. Don't take my word on this one though. All I knowis that all data will be normal if you byte swap the ROM. Look at the header: OSIN CHT E EHGDHEGO2 . All byteswapped data. This applies to all data in the ROM.

About the art being uncompressed, I don't know. Maybe the arcade system can't decipher the compression? Hell if I know.

12. LocalH

LocalH

roxoring your soxors Tech Member
    That's not the same version. Remember, there were two Genesis-based arcade systems - Mega-Tech and Megaplay. You have the Mega-Tech version, the version that ICEknight is talking about is the Megaplay version. Sonic 1 was also different between Mega-Tech and Megaplay - the Megaplay version had a timer that counted down, instead of up, and no real ending.

13. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    I have the Mega Play ROM. :P

14. LocalH

LocalH

Well, you may have it, but you posted "mt_soni2.zip", which is the Mega-Tech version. =P

15. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

Ok I've got that one working fine as well. Again it needed the bios, in this case Megaplay :P The lack of time thingy is bizarre.

Attached Files:

16. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
  17. LocalH

LocalH

Thanks a bunch. It looks like this ROM is indeed byteswapped (I know this was mentioned earlier, but I dunno if it was the MT or MP ROM being referred to). The game code is GM 00001051-02.

18. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

http://www.jameshansen.com/mame_with_sonic2_mp+mt.zip
    That has everything you need to try these roms out, with mame, the roms, and bios. Just run tmame.exe :( Type in mt_soni2 in the Select game box for the MegaTech one and mp_soni2 for the MegaPlay one (the one with the missing time counter).

19. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    differances so far:

No level timer
    insert coin text
    Special Stages removed
    100 rings does not give you an extra life
    All 1-UP boxes have been replaced with Super Ring boxes
    No jump sound (emu bug or rom?)
    Some badniks removed (eg. the praying mantis at the top of a long screw in MTZ3)
    No demo mode! Title screen never ends!

This ROM does have an ending and everything after you beat it, unlike S1.

20. LocalH

LocalH

Not that I give a shit, but you just violated the MAME license ^_^

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.