don't click here

Das ist Contoller Port 1

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Vangar, Aug 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vangar

Vangar

Im sure most of you know that the Sega Master System, The Megadrive, And some other consoles use the communications ports we see on most of the back of our computers today. Can we use that to our advantage? Or have we already? Someone could make a driver for it, if someone hasn't already... then we could play SMD, SMS, PC, games with the gamepad, like we're supposed to! ;)

EDIT: Damn it! I should have posted this in the Technical section. Move it if you want, but don't worry if it dosn't...

2. Quickman

Quickman

be attitude for gains Tech Member
    :x
    omg porjcet
    I don't think they're COM ports... maybe we just need drivers for them. Certainly the Saturn uses a proprietary design.

http://cgfm2.emuviews.com/ <- Site containing details.

3. Vangar

Vangar

Hmm... maybe NTPADXP can help us?

NTPADXP

Works for most?

4. Vangar

Vangar

They are exactly the same ports. COM and SMD match up perfectly. All we need is a driver?

Sorry for double post.

EDIT: Jackpot! Infopage 1 Infopage 2

EDIT: Im guessing the driver may be all we need.

5. Kogen

Kogen

Derp Banned
    Bouvet Island
    Last Party on the Moon
  6. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

RickRotate'd. Administrator
    USA
    rom-properties
    Not quite. The Sega Genesis uses a completely different pinout than RS-232C serial ports. Also, they use different signaling methods. You'd have to build a device to convert the controller's output to RS-232C serial. Also, since the controller uses multiplexing, you'd have to include multiplexing logic, which is complicated.

The Genesis Retropad basically interfaces the Genesis controller using a standard USB joystick logic board. $24 is a hefty price for something like this, but it's a nice device nonetheless. I might consider getting one. :P

EDIT: NTPAD is a driver for connecting game controllers to a parallel port. That works on my desktop computer, but my laptop has no parallel port. x_x

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.