don't click here

Sonic R PC

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Luigi Link, May 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luigi Link

Luigi Link

Oldbie
    Ever since I upgraded to a new machine, Sonic R hasn't been working. It's been crashing with the error 004801d9. Sometimes it will run only once under special conditions, like a compatibility mode, or upon install, and not run again. If anyone knows x86 and could determine the cause of the crash, I've a Dr. Watson log.

Yes, I have seen the 'XP compatibility FAQ' (I'm running XP) and I've tried everything there. It doesn't work. Sonic R worked on my old XP machine. I'm using an AMD Athlon XP 3200+, 512 MB RAM.

Attached Files:

2. POIZON THE HEDGEHOG

POIZON THE HEDGEHOG

Pending Member
    Does it have an error message, or does it minimize it on beginning, or does it simply not run?
    I can probably help you if it's 1 or 2

3. KnuxFan99

KnuxFan99

I have the same problem too. Sonic R installs fine for me, but when I try to run it I get the exact same "004801d9" error, and the game never works. The wierd thing is that Sonic R worked fine on my old computer with Windows 98, but now since I have XP it won't work for me at all.

Here is one way to get the game to work (sort of): All you do is highlight the Sonic R icon in your directory that opens the game, and hold down Enter. After a while the game will be forced to start up, but when I do it there is no music, even though my sound card supports music from Direct X.

A little off topic: Sonic CD also does not work on Windows XP, but at Sonic CuLt they have a download which fixes the problem, but when I tried to do it the game started up, but it still had no music, even though I have an excellent sound card.

4. AeonicB

AeonicB

Oldbie
    Freelance
    Knux Fan:

Sonic R has no music for most the released discs, it's not a unique problem.

And, you have to configure your INI manually for it to have music :P

5. BtCE

BtCE

Wait- I do have a disk with music. Does that mean I have a rare copy of the game? =P

6. Quickman

Quickman

be attitude for gains Tech Member
    :x
    omg porjcet
    You lot all need Saturns, the Saturn version of Sonic R owns the PC version.

7. saxman

saxman

Oldbie Tech Member
    I bet it's a config problem -- but that's just a guess. Open the INF file in a hex editor and use these notes to modify it:

(GAME)
    000000 - Difficulty
    00 = Easy
    01 = Normal
    02 = Hard

000004 - Ghost
    00 = Off
    01 = On

000008 - Weather
    00 = Random
    01 = Clear
    02 = Rain
    03 = Snow

00000C - Catch Up
    00 = Off
    01 = On

000010 - Guide
    00 = Off
    01 = On

000014 - Map
    00 = Off
    01 = On

000018 - 2P Split
    00 = Horizontal
    01 = Vertical

(GRAPHICS)
    00001C - Resolution

000028 - Color
    08 = 8-bit
    10 = 16-bit

00002C - Alpha Blending
    00 = Off
    01 = On

000034 - Interlace
    00 = Off
    01 = On

00003C - Draw Distance
    00 = Very Near
    01 = Near
    02 = Medium
    03 = Far
    04 = Very Far

000040 - Window
    00 = Very Small
    01 = Small
    02 = Medium
    03 = Large
    04 = Full Screen

000044 - Track Shading
    00 = Off
    01 = On

(SOUND)
    000050 - Stereo
    00 = Off
    01 = On

000054 - Vocals
    00 = Off
    01 = On

000058 - SFX Volume
    00 = Off
    01 = 1
    02 = 2
    03 = 3
    04 = 4
    05 = 5
    06 = 6
    07 = 7
    08 = 8

00005C - Music Volume
    00 = Off
    01 = On

I should also note that Sonic R does have a bug -- it tries 15-bit color EVEN THOUGH it is set to 16-bit.... and if your graphics card/chip doesn't support 15-bit correctly, it will use the default color and res mode (640x480x16-bit). In other words, if you like 16-bit, but use a lower resolution, and your gfx chip doesn't like 15-bit color, it will change back to 16-bit 640x480 because it's stupid like that. Just thought this was an interesting bug that I would point out to interest people.

Also, yes you can have greater than 640x480, but the problem with those higher resolutions is that it doesn't draw the sky correctly since it wasn't designed for those higher resolutions. Still, if anyone wants to try it, be my guest.

8. AeonicB

AeonicB

Oldbie
    Freelance
    Some copies of Sonic R don't even have a trace of music on the disc, not even in a CD player and has only a data track (1), and I don't think they're configured to play music....

9. KnuxFan99

KnuxFan99

What about fixing that annoying "004801d9" error that makes the game not run? I've tried the Windows XP compatibility FAQ and that doesn't work. Is it possible to fix this error and make the game start up?

10. Quickman

Quickman

omg porjcet
    Get a Saturn. That always works and always has music. :) They're not expensive.

11. Luigi Link

Luigi Link

Oldbie
    We should at least find the cause of this problem. I think the Dr. Watson log indicates something wrong with the 16-bit program loader. The failing instruction is idiv[eax], where I think it divides by zero for some reason. I'll try the configuration thing.

12. Korama

Korama

Tech Member
    16 bit program loader? I doubt that Sonic R is 16 bit, it looks definitely like 32 bit.

Anyway, I can explain the error, but not why it happens.
    Your log has a "State Dump" which shows some assembler instructions and the contents of the CPU registers. The error is an "Integer Overflow", caused by "idiv ecx".
    IDIV means integer division, that is division of a *signed* integer (the unsigned equivalent is DIV). The signed 64 bit number represented by edx:eax (here 0x69E4F580) is divided by ecx (here 9). The result is stored in eax (and the remainder of the division in edx). However, eax is only 32 bits, and since we are dealing with a signed operation, only 31 bits can be used to store the number, because the uppermost bit is used to indicate the sign (positive or negative).

Now, the problem is that "0x69E4F580 idiv 9" equals "0xBC41B47". This result is positive and requires 32 bit, and hence can't be stored as signed number in eax (only 31 bit available for a signed positive number). The CPU detects that and raises an Integer Overflow exception.

That said, my version of Sonic R, published by xplosiv, runs just fine in Windows XP, with CDDA music and both in Direct3D and DirectDraw mode. I just installed and tried it again, I didn't even have to configure anything. By the way, if you don't get any music in a PC game that uses CD audio, try to enable digital playback for the drive in the control panel.

Edit:
    I just looked around at xplosiv.net some more and found that they have a Sonic R FAQ which mentions that error at address 004801d9 - Link.

13. AeonicB

AeonicB

Oldbie
    Freelance
    Luigi_Link, there aren't even the audio files located on a disc for some of us. I got one from a Sega pack, and it has zero music. ;P

I know that the no-music copies are lighter in color then ones with music on them, too. And, I think the title screen was a little less fancy.

14. XFox Prower

XFox Prower

x86 Assembly, Tails Search Assistant
    My Sonic R works fine in XP with the exception of Netplay. Attempting to open the SrNet will result in an immediate crash, the kind where you cannot use ctrl+alt+del, alt+tab, etc. It's not even nice enough to atleast show me the blue screen of death to let me know everything's "fine". I only have about 32 mb of onboard video memory, nothing extra installed such as a card or anything. Sometimes having the latest 3D graphics card can make things worse.

15. Quickman

Quickman

omg porjcet
    Windows XP is based primarily on NT technology, so it doesn't have the BSOD.

And uh... I only have a graphics chip, not even a card, and I can view 3D graphics fairly okay (albeit with lag and skipping and such for N64 emulation).

16. POIZON THE HEDGEHOG

POIZON THE HEDGEHOG

Pending Member
    I have a saturn, but I have seriously looked everywhere for the game. May I please have a clue as to where to get it (Or a way to burn it myself)

17. Quickman

Quickman

omg porjcet
    Get disk image (with music). Burn to disk. Insert into modded Saturn and enjoy.

I can't help with the modding though, sorry.

18. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

RickRotate'd. Administrator
    USA
    rom-properties
    Some runs of the PC version of Sonic R were screwed up - they only had the data track. My copy has both data and audio. :)

Sonic R seemed to run fine for me on Windows XP (other than killing my laptop's motherboard 1.5 years ago X_X).

http://www.empireinteractive.co.uk/support...rodDetailID=418 - This company's "Race Collection" includes Sonic R, and this error is listed in their FAQ, plus a few possible solutions.

EDIT:
    That has got to be the most BS answer I've ever heard. CD-RW drives work EXACTLY like CD-ROM drives when not being used to record discs.

19. Actually they work fine for the OS for viewing/reading them.Other programs sometimes have a hard time detecting CD-RW drives.For example Gens won't detect my DVD-RW combo drive OR my CD-RW drive, so I installed a plain old CD-ROM drive and it works fine with it.But don't be an idiot like me and stuff 3 different ones in your machine!

20. XFox Prower

XFox Prower

x86 Assembly, Tails Search Assistant
    Actually it does. The only time I got a BSOD in XP was when I used Game Shock (one of those cheat finding programs) to plug values into my online time in aim, which immediately brought upon the end of my Windows session :P. I'm sure it's reproducable if you have nothing better to do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.