don't click here

Screw you, Im calling it Dust Hill

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Quexinos, Apr 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Quexinos

Quexinos

Since 1997 Oldbie
    that's right, that desert picture everyone's seen? Well people say we can't call it Dust Hill because its been proven to be the beta name for Mystic Caves. That's all good and well, and I understand and respect that discovery. I know it's true and Im not saying it's not. But for god's sake we've been calling it "Dust Hill" for years.

I just hate it now when someone says "Dust Hill" blah blah and someone else has to come in and "No it's not Dust Hill anymore!"

I mean the desert zone should have a name and the way I see it, either we call it Genocide City, or Dust Hill. I was talking to Nemesis online and he put it best

so there ya go :evil:

2. Sonic McTails

Sonic McTails

Oldbie
    Won't you like to know
    Sonic Classic/SSonicNet
    What abotu Desert Hill Zone <shot> JK. Well, if you had to give it a name, I would say that it might have been DHZ at one point, or (more stable theory) is that GCZ was a beta name for it

3. ComPro

ComPro

Just hangin' around. Member
    Dust Hill, Desert Zone...before everything was proven, these were interchangeable terms, but now that everyone should know better, we should be calling Mystic Caves "Dust Hill" if referring to the beta, and the Desert Zone is and always will be just that.

Those terms are no longer interchangeable. Everything was proven. Yes, if you call the Desert Zone "Dust Hill", everyone will know what you mean, but it's not right, not any more, not since the proof has shown up.

Personally, I don't care one way or another what you call it, but I'm going to be using the correct terms from here on out.

-ComPro

4. Sonic McTails

Sonic McTails

Oldbie
    Won't you like to know
    Sonic Classic/SSonicNet
    Scarism: So I can call it smelly yucky doggy poo three years old ?

In all honestly, you are compeletely correct, though I don't discount the interview w/ Ms. Ross where she calls is Dust Hill. However, I will call it desert zone and MC Beta

5. Hyper Knuckles?

Hyper Knuckles?

Pending Member
    I can understand where you're getting this from. However, I was used to calling it Dust Hill also, and then these facts came along. After realizing this, it would cause too much confusion if everyone was using different terms for it. Therefore, either way, I think we should just decide one way or another to call it. Until then, I'm calling it by the desert zone, since we don't really have an official name.

6. Frigidare

Frigidare

Above picture copyright of IFG Publications Member
    I don't see a need for any debate. If you say Dust Hill Zone, people will automatically think of the desert zone so everything should be fine. However, if we want to be fully correct, I suggest giving the desert zone a name.

7. Quickman

Quickman

be attitude for gains Tech Member
    :x
    omg porjcet
    Oh my god, look what you just did. You gave it a name. It's the desert zone.

8. Frigidare

Frigidare

Fair enough, if that counts. No need to imply anger.

9. Quexinos

Quexinos

Since 1997 Oldbie
    may as well call it Genocide City

10. Frigidare

Frigidare

Well to my knowledge, that hasn't been proven wrong yet. Nobody knows anything about either the level or the name 'Genocide City.' It could be or it couldn't be.

11. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I'm going to call it "desert" because it makes more sense and will avoid any further confusion.

12. First of all everyone knows Dust Hill was a beta name for Mystic Caves, well EXACTLY!that's all it was.The name was changed to Mystic Caves cause "Dust Hill" didn't realy make sense for a level that was based on caves.So the name is 'freed up' so to speak.And if you think logicly, there is more dust in a desert than in caves, and cirtainly more hills than a cave.Caves have stalagtites, stalagmites and its dark and mysterious wich is probably what the name Mystic Caves was dirived from.Dust Hill is the best suited name for the Desert Zone.

And why call it Genocide City?First thing that makes no sense is why name a zone that is based on a desert Genocide CITY?There are no citys in deserts.Now if Genocide city was supposed to be the bad FUTURE of a city than it would make more sense, only there would be wrecked buildings in the background with sand building up around them rather than canyons and hills and what not.Second thing is Genocide City was never made, there isn't even a mockup of it for reference to what it may have looked like.The name Genocide City sounds like a city ravaged by Robotnik, so then the PRESENT to Genocide City could have been Chemical Plant or somthing along those lines.

Even with all that and even knowing that Dust Hill doesn't realy suit Mystic Caves, I will still continue to call it by "Desert Zone" to avoid confusion like ICEknight said.

13. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Well, there could have been some kind of town with a saloon and gunfighters and stuff... Not exactly a city, but would still make some sense.

14. Quickman

Quickman

be attitude for gains Tech Member
    :x
    omg porjcet
    No there isn't. Deserts have sand, not dust. Dust is particles of dead skin, hair and other such debris deposited by animals. Sand is ground-up rock.

15. McGuirk

McGuirk

The Egg-Man Cometh. Member
    Keep in mind it was a western cactus type desert. Dust has everything to do with the western crap. Dust hill makes sense to me:P As far as the name itself anyway.

16. Drakmyth

Drakmyth

Inspector Drakmyth Master at your service. Oldbie
    In the void beneath the ancient maze...
    Sonic Eclipse 2, Return of the Hidden Palace, Unnamed Sonic 2 Hack
    As I have said before, I think that they had Dust Hill (desert) in the Mystic Caves slot. When the level got scrapped they stuck Mystic Caves in that slot and never got around to renaming the slot in the level select. Thus, I will call it Dust Hill and if I refer to Mystic Caves I will specify beta or final.

17. Quexinos

Quexinos

Since 1997 Oldbie
    Well I guess either way, we need to come up with a name that everyone will use, and we've been using Dust Hill for so long, it seems stupid to change it.

18. .hack//zero

.hack//zero

Working on a vulkan game engine for fun. Learning Ray-Tracing.
    That is what I was thinking.

19. Ted

Ted

The Original Forum Gay Member
    I hate Dust Hill/ Mystic Cave In the Beta AND in the Final! I say it was a waste of my time playing a level like that! So I will call the Dust Hill... Desert Wasteland and Mystic Cave.. Waste of my time.

20. T.Q.

T.Q.

The Sims 2, Tim Drake [Robin] Member
    Ok, once again the meaning of "dust" can be these definitions (not all the meanings are here, so if you want to know, search for it):

From www.dictionary.com:

1. Fine, dry particles of matter.
    2. A cloud of fine, dry particles.
    3. Particles of matter regarded as the result of disintegration: fabric that had fallen to dust over the centuries.
    4. Earth, especially when regarded as the substance of the grave: ?ashes to ashes, dust to dust? (Book of Common Prayer).
    5. The surface of the ground.

From www.webster.com:

1. fine particles of matter (as of earth)
    2. the particles into which something disintegrates
    3a. the earth especially as a place of burial 3b. the surface of the ground

From www.encarta.com:

1. small dry particles: very small dry particles of a substance such as sand or coal, either in the form? of a deposit or a cloud
    2. household dirt: the small pieces of dirt that accumulate in a layer on horizontal surfaces in buildings
    3. remains from the decay of a body: the small particles that something, especially a human body, is thought to be reduced to by decay after death
    4. earth as a burial place: dirt or soil, particularly that of somebody?s grave ( literary )

There... now there's no debate on the meaning for it can mean any of these. But as usual the question is about the name calling of the picture.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.