don't click here

Some new tidbits of information

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by drx, Dec 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drx

drx

mfw Researcher
    :rolleyes:
    I was talking to Ben Szymkowiak, the Lead Tester for Sonic 2 (uncredited). Some interesting facts:

• Knuckles was likely originally called Dreds
    • The spikes thing was likely a Class B bug.

Note that he doesn't know about the recoil thing likely because he never saw it. Which puts Sonic 2 testing somewhere between after NA and before alpha (I know this from another source, but maybe another time)

So yeah, I'm still alive and tracking down protos.

2. Vinchenz

Vinchenz

Yo! Hustle! Hustle! Member
    You know we love you drx. :>

Great job on nabbing this info!

3. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    I've always wanted to be a game tester, to help make games as good as they could be.

Clocking all those hours doesn't sound so bad either.

4. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects
    Man, this is very interesting info drx, Dreds huh? Wow...
    Your always coming back with something new!
    How do you do it ?

5. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    The spikes thing might make sense in the context of Sonic 2, but I'm not convinced that it was also considered a bug in Sonic 1. Remember, bug testers like to report things that aren't bugs as bugs and even add suggestions into the reports, so they're not the most reliable source in the world.

Good stuff, though! Pretty interesting insight. The name "Dreds" kind of makes sense, too—after all, the only way Knuckles as a name differs is that it made the name out of a different character trait.

6. Holy shit.

7. DimensionWarped

DimensionWarped

Erinaceous! Oldbie
    Yeah, that's a pretty significant paycheck upgrade to take home if you don't crack under the pressure in the meantime.

8. Yeah, 15 hours a day for two weeks straight is do-able, but not when you've been working your ass off constantly. He must have been slightly bonkers.

9. MarkoMan

MarkoMan

In memory of Dreds... Member
    Queens, NY
    Sonic 2 Turbo
    I know that with Sonic 2, there are a number of areas where you can get hit by spikes on the ceiling and land immediately into spikes on the ground (as well as spikes on the ground that can send you into contact with spikes on a ceiling), causing instant (dare I say, unfair) death. While I'm not as knowledgeable of Sonic 1, there might not have been any spike traps like that, which is why it might not have been considered a big deal. So it's possible that it wasn't a bug in Sonic 1.

10. Quarterman

Quarterman

Just another day in paradise. Member
    Man drx, You are just full of awesome info. I'm personally glad that Knuckles didn't retain his original name. For some reason, "Dreds" just doesn't quite sit right with me. Also, the spike thing was an interesting read. Learn something new every day, I suppose.

11. nullaccnt

nullaccnt

Fantastic information, drx. What a crazy time it was for these guys - it's so cool when they are willing to try and recall over 15-year-old information just for us, haha.

12. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    It's always great to have new pieces of info regarding game development. You continue to kick ass.

13. Mercury

Mercury

His Name Is Sonic Tech Member
    Location Location
    AeStHete
    I foresee a wave of new fanfics where characters will call Knuckles "Dreds" as a nickname.

14. Indigo Rush

Indigo Rush

I forsee a wave of new angry letters where fans complain about Ben stealing their original fancharacter's name.

15. Yuzoboy

Yuzoboy

UK
    Interesting info drx, it just goes to show how much attention was given to Sonic 2. And on that note of the Eternal Champions producer trying to make the next 'Street Fighter 2', I think he actually made a hybrid of Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter, which is why I enjoyed it so much.

16. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Cool stuff, drx. Funny how "Dreds" also had 5 letters, just like "Sonic" and "Tails".

17. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Interesting. Maybe they wanted to avoid the K·T·E on the life counter.

18. drx

drx

mfw Researcher
    :rolleyes:
    Hah. Would be cool if I found a proto with "Dreds" in the HUD (if it was ever used).

19. MarkoMan

MarkoMan

In memory of Dreds... Member
    Queens, NY
    Sonic 2 Turbo
    Warning: couldn't someone hack a game such that "Dreds" would show up, then pass it to you like that "LOOK DRX! DREDS!"?

20. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I feel like DRX would be smarter than that.

Although I'll admit the title "Sonic & Dreds" or "Dreds' Chaotix" certainly don't sound as nice as they are now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.