don't click here

Platformation

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by kazade, Nov 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kazade

kazade

A 2D Physics Engine
    Hi guys,

I'm working on a 2D platform game in my spare time that I hope to sell someday, although it will take some inspiration from Sonic among other games it isn't Sonic related.

As part of developing the game I needed a level editor so I could throw stuff together for testing. While the editor is no-where near finished (or ready for use - you can't even save yet!) I've open sourced it under the LGPL and made the code available on launchpad: http://launchpad.net/platformation

I intend to write a exporter plugin API so that people can use it for the own games (e.g. Sonic fangames - hence my post here :) )

Here are the features:

1. Load tiles from a directory of images (e.g. png)
    2. Edit the solid areas of tiles [1] these areas are saved to an XML file alongside the tile image
    3. Add/delete layers (can't yet rename, move them, or toggle them, activating is flakey)
    4. Add/delete instances of tiles

It's written in C++ with OpenGL and Gtk and developed on Ubuntu. I will port it to Windows when I have a chance.

Anyway, if anyone is interested the code is there, I'm happy to accept feature requests/patches/feedback. I've got a basic set of features I need to finish before I can continue with my game, so there should be a lot of progress over the next few weeks and then it'll calm down as I move onto the game itself. Again, it's REALLY EARLY in development, I've only been working on it over a month or so just an hour or two here and there.

Hopefully it is useful for someone.

Luke.

P.S. Is there a Sonic engine out there that uses a documented file format for the levels? That way I could knock together an example level exporter, just a thought.

P.P.S: Screenshot:

[​IMG]

[1] The inspiration for this came from a YouTube video I saw once, which I think was a development version of Sonic Maker, I'm not totally sure I couldn't find the video when I went to code it. It seemed like a simple way to do things, so if the developer is on here - thanks for the inspiration!

2. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    He most certainly is on here my good man. Infact, that topic is right below this one!

Good work so far, and thanks for open sourcing it.

3. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Sonic Studio, Sonic Physics Guide, Kyle & Lucy, Freedom Planet 2
    That's great, I just hope this isn't meant to 'replace' Sonic Maker in any way. But of course, everyone is entitled to show their work, and who am I to have a competition. It just looks awfully simmilar.

Anyway, It looks pretty good from what I can see, it really does, just one question: is it multi-purpose, or for Sonic games only? I ask because
    confused me, it's also called 'Platformation'.

Good work, I really want to try this!

4. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Pretty sure its just for games in general bud.

5. kazade

kazade

A 2D Physics Engine
    Heh, no it's not competition for Sonic Maker, as I said it's not directly for Sonic games I just used GHZ tiles for testing as that's what I had. I haven't actually looked at Sonic Maker (aside from a couple of recent videos) is it just for ROM hacks or for standalone fangames? If it's the latter does it have its own file format? Honestly, any similarity (aside from marking out the solidity of a tile with triangles and boxes) is purely coincidental, most of my inspiration is coming from Tiled which is what I attempted to use originally for my game but it wasn't a good fit.

It is being developed specifically for one non-Sonic game (well, I've got an idea for two, but I can only do one at a time ;) ), but I'd like it to be more flexible than that (hence posting here for some feedback). I'd like to (for example) write exporters for other platform games like SuperTux. That's why the tiles can overlap and aren't required to be a specific size or anything like that, then it's entirely down to the exporter to format everything for the game.

"Platformation" is the best name I could come up with Platform-Formation :)

I'll try and get it usable ASAP and packaged for people to test.

6. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic Maker is for stand-alone fangames.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.