don't click here

Sonic Mobius

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Mobiethian, Jan 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mobiethian

Mobiethian

Oldbie
    Well, here it goes.. After long years of secretly building a fan game sequel to Sonic CD, it is time to let someone else make a more faithful sequel that it very much deserves. However, I am not stopping any development completely, or probably never will considering what I've accomplished so far. It is now time to turn to a new project, and I'm calling it Sonic Mobius.

I am giving my new project this title not only because I am totally fixated on the Mobius thing (dunno why) but I think it fits well, especially since my original Sonic CD 2 project storyline was based on West Mobius. The new storyline will be too. My alias was inspired by it as well but we all have our own opinions about Mobius, and even how the name sounds. That can be argued here too because I know it will. Onward.. The zones, because we need em’ and it‘s the best thing:

ZONE 1: HEXAGON HILL ZONE
    ZONE 2: TERRARIUM TOWER ZONE
    ZONE 3: METRO MADNESS ZONE
    ZONE 4: COBALT CANYON ZONE
    ZONE 5: POLAR PALACE ZONE
    ZONE 6: ELEVATION ENERGY ZONE
    ZONE 7: FOXTAIL FURY ZONE

Some of those names are being carried over from my previous Sonic CD 2 project. Amy is not in the game, no arguments. Having said that, here IS who/what is going to be in the game: Sonic, Tails, Nack/Fang (Act 2 MINI BOSS), who deserves a bigger role (so far using Silverbolt's sprites), Dr. Robotnik (Act 3 MAIN BOSS) also, not ever going to be named Eggman in this game. And finally, an all new metal Tails character (is there even one made yet?) which I am naming the Foxtail Fury Megabot on account if its having razor-sharp tails and can fly very fast, and a final boss.

More info; For now I'm using Sonic Worlds in MMF2 to build this which is what I've been using for SCD2. Currently, I'm altering all of the sprites and will possibly be using a different engine down the road of development.

Further note, anybody can contribute and help. I only got as far as Hexagon Hill Zone being nearly completed and some of Terrarium Tower and Cobalt Canyon. So any ideas, suggestions, graphics and so on and so fourth, as well as good honest efforts towards this project will receive proper credit. I think having an opportunity to have a spot in the end credits of a game would be motivating enough to help, don‘t you?

I'll be posting more stuff on this topic while I work on it but as of now, it's the very start and this will be fun to do.

2. Shoemanbundy

Shoemanbundy

Researcher
    Chicago, Illinois
    selling shoes
    Your Sonic CD 2 project was anything but a secret IIRC, it was always in your signature after all heh. Looks like this topic may be a bit premature considering you don't have anything down but ideas so far, though.

But anyways, forget my picking on you here, I don't mean any harm. What I really want to say is that you seem to be ditching your past project for all the wrong reasons. Just because Stephen UK plans to start a hopefully faithful Sonic CD sequel, that's no reason for you to quit yours already. Is it just the name thing that's bugging you?

3. Power Hedgehog

Power Hedgehog

Chicago, IL (USA)
    Sonic GEDA
    Idk why, but I'm loving that level name "Foxtail Fury Zone". :v:

4. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Original, No substitute Resident Jester
    Japan
    I think I'll have to agree with Shoemanbundy tbth, on another note, wouldn't it be better to get those ideas generated into a game/hack before posting a topic about it? I'm not saying there's anything wrong with posting a topic only full of ideas (That's not really my part to say I know), but I guess I was expecting something like a progressive update, screenshots or something.

But anyway, some nice ideas there, if you do get them into a game/hack then I'll be looking forward to them =)

5. StephenUK

StephenUK

Liquor in the front, poker in the rear Tech Member
    Manchester, UK
    Quackshot Disassembly
    It's beyond planning stages, a lot of the engine work for it was done before I made the topic. That said, I'm glad you're carrying on with this project, although you didn't really need to change the name, and I look forward to seeing your progress.

6. Mobiethian

Mobiethian

Oldbie
    Thank you all for your input. I didn't expect this much already actually. It is a bit premature, I was even afraid to start a topic about it but it needed to be out "written in stone" so to speak, so there's no confusion over StephenUK's Sonic CD 2 that's underway. So the name change was pretty much vital because it's a completely different game. Tweaker did say a while back that I would give Sonic CD 2 more justice and should continue. But I believe - and he may also agree now that StephenUK would do it even more justice.

This all will be done properly and a demo is coming for S.A.G.E., so no worries. I even plan to have the whole damn thing done for Sonic's 20th.. next year but we all know that. :v:

Also StephenUK is right, I have zones built, beyond planning stages but I am also doing a major graphics overhaul and like I said, anyone is welcome to assist.

7. Mobiethian

Mobiethian

Oldbie
    :objection: Bump! .. and double post. Ouch! Just an update on this thing.

Since I jumped back onto personal project work this weekend, I got quite a bit done with the new demo build. I have replaced everything in the title card to show the new game title, from SCD2, and already started to rebuild a new ACT 1, bigger w/ more alternate routes and using some designs from the previous project. Currently I am re-drawing new tiles, as well as a whole new title screen and logo (w/ Sonic and Tails). Fun Fun.

Before I started to change the project to Sonic Mobius, the first zone (Hexagon Hill) in the SCD2 demo build was left off with looking like this:

[​IMG]

or as seen in the video that I posted on another topic. My next move is to finish the new tileset and background design as well as a new sprite sheet.

Progress continues... it's really all I do. REALLY

Another thing, I did come up with a goofy side game recently for this and also got some sprites made for it. I plan on it being an unlockable - when you beat the game type deal. It is called Hedgehog Grab, and the star in the game is none other than, me - the designer. How conceited huh. The objective of the game is to collect all 10 Sonic-like hedgehogs in each of the 5 levels, rescuing them from a dangerous robot that tries to steal them. I have lots of ideas down and will show more later. Until then, here's a mockup!

[​IMG]

More H.G. info; Basic Sonic 3D Blast gameplay. With plenty of hiding places to search for hedgehogs. There are 5 zones planned. Levels only, no acts or parts. I am going to prepare to build a Sonic 3D Blast engine in the near future. I'll see where that goes when I cross that path.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.