don't click here

Sonic Rivals 2 Test Sample

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Skaarg, Oct 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skaarg

Skaarg

Last week I purchased a Sonic Rivals 2 Test Sample UMD from DreamTR of ASSEMbler Games message board, and it came in the mail today. Well I extracted the ISO to compare it to the US final, and the only difference was in the STREAMS folder there was a TEST_ROOM1.STR file, which was weird since both versions had TEST_ROOM2.STR. I was able to simple replace the first level's STR file to get access to the level though. Being a typical test level though it's very boring. If you go to the right all there are is a bunch of bounce pads that trap you in a area, but if you go to the left and fall off the platform and then hold right you'll eventually loop vertically and land on a platform where you can test the barrel that you can run in. Eventually you reach an invisible wall which you can temporarily get stuck in meaning there is no real end to the level.

Seeing as this is the only difference between the two versions of the game I didn't see the need to upload the whole ISO, but I will provide the TEST_ROOM1.STR for anyone that wants to play around with it. It should work on the final version considering that's the only difference between the ISOs.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/o9rpce

ISO torrent
    Please remember to help seed since my connection is good, but not the greatest. Also people can ignore my typo in the torrent. =P

If you want to check out the test levels use UMDGen to edit the ISO. You can get it from here.

2. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    Did you actually hex compare the files, or just look to see if there are different files?

3. Skaarg

Skaarg

I haven't hex compared the files yet, for now I was just going by file size. I was going to hex compare all the levels tonight just to make sure there are no differences.

EDIT- I just started on GLOBAL_BINARY.STR and there are differences between the two files so once I've found all the changes I'll upload files that are different.

EDIT 2 - I've gone through all the files in the STREAMS folder and the only files that didn't have changes were the following:

CARDSLARGE.STR
    STORY_ESPIO.STR
    STORY_KNUCKLES.STR
    STORY_METALSONIC.STR
    STORY_ROUGE.STR
    STORY_SHADOW.STR
    STORY_SILVER.STR
    STORY_SONIC.STR
    STORY_TAILS.STR

Now most of the changes when comparing files were small (lots of 1-2 byte changes), but there were some larger bits that might have small changes to gameplay or something. I figured some one more knowledgeable might be able to find something so I set up a torrent of the ISO.

Just note I can only upload at around 40kb/s so hopefully as people download you seed.

Sonic Rivals 2 Test Sample ISO

Also just because here's a picture of the UMD:
    http://img44.imageshack.us/img44/9136/photoxy.jpg

4. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Nice shit! Any pictures of the test level?

5. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    lol wut

But either way, this is a very nice pickup here. Unfortunately I don't have enough memory on my PSP for it but I'll look into this soon enough. Perhaps this could be put on the Wiki?

6. Skaarg

Skaarg

I've been trying to get a program that streams what is being viewed on my PSP to a PC working, but some reason the program is crashing everytime I try to launch the game. I believe it might have something to do with my PSP being a 1K model and not having as much RAM. I can possibly take some camera pictures, but they won't be high quality at all.

Edit, had my PSP next to me so I took some pictures. It's nothing too interesting. =P I may try the other test level that is present on both this umd and the final games disc.

Image 1 - Level Start
    Image 2 - All there is off to the right.
    Image 3 - After falling to the left of the starting point.
    Image 4 - End of the level

It'd be interesting if there was some kind of debug stuff left in this disc. I may try to do some more looking to see if I can find anything.

Edit 2 - I actually decided to test out the second Test level and for some reason when I try it on the released ISO and this review ISO the PSP crashes while loading the level. So as of now I have no clue how to get the level to load.

7. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    Interesting stuff. Out of sheer curiosity is there any music that plays during this test level?

8. Skaarg

Skaarg

It just uses the music that normally plays for the level that I replaced.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.