don't click here

Utility source code thread

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Digital Xeron, Sep 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Digital Xeron

Digital Xeron

[An error occurred while processing this custom ti Oldbie
    Unicomplex One, Canada
    Digibase Operations (TSZP)
    There has been noted a severe lack of actual hacking tools for Non-Windows operating systems for hack development, often requiring people to either:

1. Dual boot, only having Windows installed to run the tools;
    2. Virtualization, which is not really feasable on lower end machines;
    3. Run the tools via WINE, often unreliably and/or much slower than if they were to be natively run, often crashing, or;
    4. Edit level layouts and such in much slower and akward, raw assembly.

So I ask all the developers of these tools:
    Why not post your source code for your utilities for people to be free to port?

This would allow those who use and prefer Linux (or other operating systems) to have an easier life with hack development, not having to rely on a clumsy development environment.

If you wish to contribute, feel free to post your codebase to this thread.

2. Varion Icaria

Varion Icaria

He's waiting.... Tech Member
    S4: Cybernetic Outbreak
    I bid you good luck with this. This is very needed and can very well help people get to a stabilized operating system. Windows is good yes but Linux is helpful in the long run.

3. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    I would post my source code, but I only make tools for Windows games!
    I would gladly give anybody that asks my code (if you can understand Visual Basic .NET).

4. Selbi

Selbi

The Euphonic Mess Member
    Northern Germany
    Sonic ERaZor
    Ok, is it actually possible to port VB 9.0 to something which works on Mac? If anyone is able to do it, I'm fine with it. Just PM me and I will send the source.

5. Andlabs

Andlabs

「いっきまーす」 Wiki Sysop
    Writing my own MD/Genesis sound driver :D
    You could either use Mono or install .net Framework in wine. I don't know about 9.0 (.net 3.0) though!

6. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Given the known stance of a lot of the coders in this community, I don't see a lot of apps being OSS'd, much as I'd like to see it happen.

(Semi-hypocrisy - I'm not OSS'ing STE but there's a good reason for that - a sizable chunk of the code is copyright of my university due to various projects and I don't believe I'm allowed to post it - a rewrite would fix this but I don't have the time or energy to do so on an app that's so old anyway =P)

7. GT Koopa

GT Koopa

Elgin, IL
    Flicky Turncoat DX, T.L.W.S. Vs M.G.W.
    I could never get WINE to work for me. And with the expensive and bloaty emulators, you might as well buy a Windows at that point.

So exactly how possible is it for an average program to be ported to another operating system?

8. Travelsonic

Travelsonic

Cross-compiling? Not always as straightforward as that though depending on libraries used by your program... I think.

9. Conan Kudo

Conan Kudo

「真実はいつも一つ!」工藤新一 Member
    There are two possible targets for VB.NET code: Mono w/ MonoDevelop, and REALbasic.

Mono supports up to VB8 fully (.NET 2.0). Some work has been done for VB9, but I don't know how much of VB9 is actually supported.

Mono is the easiest path to take, and it is fully cross platform, with Windows, Mac, and Linux support built right in. Mono includes a native compiler that will take VB8 code and compile it straight to native Linux binaries. The official .NET 2.0 and .NET 3.0 Frameworks do not have this capability.

The REALbasic path requires quite a bit of work to rework, since it isn't based on VB7, VB8, or VB9. It's closest ancestor would be VB6, but it is far from that as well.

In your case, the program is not written in VB.NET, but VB6. You have two paths you can choose: KBasic or REALbasic.

The easiest choice for VB6 code would be KBasic, it is fully cross platform and sticks rather close to the VB6 style of object oriented BASIC. You will be required to make a few changes, but probably nothing too drastic.

However, the last time I tried KBasic, it wasn't very stable on my Windows desktop, though that could be because of Vista... It probably is a lot better now than it was several months ago, when I did try it.

The other path for VB6 code would be REALbasic. REALbasic requires a lot more work, but it is very mature and has a community of developers who help to extend REALbasic.

KBasic can be compiled from source to be used with Windows and Mac indefinitely for open source applications only. The full blown professional edition binary from the site is already free (for open source use) for Linux users.

REALbasic Personal Edition for Linux can be acquired for free if you plan to use it for open source software.

S1TCG can likely be directly recompiled with Mono to work on Mac and Linux, if it still works with only the .NET 2.0 Framework.

10. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    I rarely post my source codes because even though I'm an awesome programmer, most of the times there are at least one or two badly written routines in my programs because of my lazyness and I don't want people to see them. This is what I get for writing programs in a rush when I get the inspiration instead of planning routines in advance with pen and paper... However if you don't mind to see code which is half awesome and half crap, feel free to ask, I might even agree.

11. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    I know about Mono already, I'm just saying that all of my programs are for editing Windows-only games, so a Mac/Linux port would be kind of pointless.
    My S&K Collection Level Editor however, could somewhat easily be reworked to edit the Genesis version, so maybe...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.