don't click here

Robotnik vs. Eggman

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Skywatcher, Jul 11, 2008.

Which name do you prefer/use/etc.?

1. It's Dr. Robotnik, silleh. You needs an evil name to be evil. Yeesh!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Nah, it's Dr. Eggman. He looks like an egg for cripes sake!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Who ACTUALLY cares?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Greetings,

I did a search for a topic on this, but the one I found was from, like...2 years ago. I assume it's alright for me to start this new one?

So...I'm wondering what you all think about the whole Robotnik/Eggman thing. Now I know he's always been Dr. Eggman in Japan, but to me, being a 16-bit Sonic player and all, he's always been Dr. Robotnik. It annoys me that we're now being forced to accept him as Eggman, because...yeesh, it's such a pants name!

People say, "Yeah well, he looks like an egg, so it makes sense," but...NO. It doesn't. It's such a childish name. Kinda spoils it a bit for me, really.

So yeah...a light-hearted question, I guess. Robotnik...or Eggman?

2. Rainer

Rainer

No.

Empirically, Robotnik came first, but both names are canon and should be recognized. If you must argue, you can say Robotnik was the original name, but outside of that, this topic is pointless.

3. Mystical Ninja

Mystical Ninja

For old time's sake. Oldbie
    New Castle, Delaware
    Nothing that concerns this place in the least.
    Robotnik all the way. Even if he IS shaped like an egg, "Dr. Eggman" has GOT to be one of the lamest names ever thought of for a villain. Aside from that, though, I've always known him as "Dr. Robotnik" ever since I got into the Sonic series when I was a little kid, and that's the name I still continue to call him, even up to this day. I will never, under any circumstances, refer to him as Dr. Eggman. In fact, I even refer to Eggman Nega as "Nega Robotnik", despite the fact that it isn't his official name.

4. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    :v:

Your input is appreciated, but that's not for you to decide! Thank you come again. :v:

That said, I've always preferred Eggman since it's more characteristic of his shape, and it was the original name in Japan. And since the Japanese manuals and such have always had more detail and are the origin of the games' development, I'd have to say it should be held in higher regard over the "Robotnik" moniker.

5. Good man! And I must agree.

*is reminded of Tail's awful pronunciation of 'Eggman' in Sonic 2006*

Argh, the pain.

6. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    It depends really, I have a hard time telling whether Eggman was supposed to be a genuinely threatening villain. Considering that canonically, Sonic isn't even trying to stop Eggman for good simply because stopping his plans is his favorite pass time, Eggman makes sense. I'd rather they just name him Ivo "Eggman" Robotnik, then just use whatever name fits best at the time.

7. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    I grew up with Robotnik, so I prefer it over Eggman. I had no idea about the name Eggman until about a year after SA1 was out. In the Japanese version, what are they saying on that part where Sonic calls him Robotnik? I've always wondered.

8. SillyJonna

SillyJonna

rhymes with iguana Member
    Orlando, Florida
    Kickin' Rad!
    I don't mind people calling him "Eggman", but I lean more towards "Robotnik", myself. I grew up calling him that, and it's what I'm used to. I think it sounds better, too.

9. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Ivo Robotnik forever.

* gets some popcorn and sadly waits for Eggman to win the poll *

10. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    I voted Eggman, purely because it sounds like a corny cartoon villain. :v:

11. MKAmeX

MKAmeX

California
    Needlemouse, Sonic Boom, Graphic Design
    I grew up with Robotnik, like most of you, but I also got used to Eggman. So I just call him whatever seems fit. (Ex. anything pre-sonic adventure is Robotnik.)
    But in all honesty, it doesn't matter to me, because it's the same fat man that we've been stopping for years no matter what we call him. =P

12. Sazpaimon

Sazpaimon

Tech Member
  13. Tralis

Tralis

Toaster Extraordinaire Oldbie
    Robotnik just sounds better. Eggman sounds too silly. Maybe its better for Japanese tastes, but not mine.

14. P.P.A.

P.P.A.

SONIC 2 SUCKS, SONIC CD FOREVER Member
    Germany
    Sonic MD (Currently: Art for Zone 3)
    Normally I'd be all like "I MUST WORSHIP WHAT NAOTO OSHIMA INTENDED", but in this case I actually prefer Robotnik. The name isn't as stupid as Eggman and does a better job at expressing his goals of making everything a metallic dystopia only inhabited by robots. And it's nice that with the Ivo they still crammed the "egg" part in there.

15. Ollie

Ollie

DIGGY DIGGY HOLE Member
    I've always known him as Dr Robotnik, The only time I've called Dr Robotnik, Eggman is when I'm talking to friends about the post 16-Bit games, but then, I still do tend to call him Dr Robotnik from time to time, anyway. I mean... Come on, it's only a name, right?

16. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

A "Community Enigma"? Oldbie
    I don't see how Robotnik is any less goofy than Eggman. Beatnik? Beatnik's a goofy word. And the fact that we have "Badnik" to go along with "Robotnik" is also quite silly. Basically anything that ends in "-nik" is silly as hell, to me.

It's just a matter of what you're used to. As a kid you could watch a show where the bad guy is named "Mr. Badguy" and you, as a kid, would not bat an eyelash. If anything, a name like that would help you figure out what this guy's motive is. By the time you were an adult, you were already so used to "Mr. Badguy" that you still wouldn't notice what a goofy name that is.

I transitioned from one goofy term to another goofy term because I thought it was cool that they were trying to unify the terminology for the franchise. It's not hard to accept Eggman as the primary name for the character, you just have to accept that "Robotnik" is just as dumb in its own right, and that's okay, because Sonic is and always has been a franchise geared at the 12-14 market. Any attempts to move it beyond that market is where it starts to go off the rails a bit and we end up with cartoon characters wielding guns saying "damn" more than necessary and inappropriate human-on-furry relations.

17. Master3k

Master3k

I used to call him Robotnik. Now thanks to internet, I call him Eggman. =P

18. Hitaxas

Hitaxas

Retro 80's themed Twitch streamer ( on hiatus) Member
  19. Who says we all grew up with it? I came to know sonic's enemy as Dr. Eggman.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.