don't click here

Path swapper visuals in SonED2

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Thorn, Jun 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thorn

Thorn

Tech Member
    Home
    Sonic 2 Retro Remix
    Updated June 23, 3:58pm EST. If you downloaded before then, please grab the update, as it fixes horizontal path swappers.

If you've tried even once to modify Sonic 2, you know that path swappers are a royal pain in the ass. While I can't get rid of the things, the least I can do is make it a bit easier for newbies to see their effects without having to hover the cursor over every last one in the level.

The attached ZIP archive has files that go in your S2dasm\soned2proj\objdef folder if you're using the 2007 disassembly and a similar folder otherwise. They replace the strings of ?????????? with a set of 0's and 1's, making path swappers easy to read. Above high is yellow, and below high is red -- note, however, that the opposite is true of mirrored path swappers (I.e. third entry in Type ID = 2). If you do put your cursor over them, the final param field now tells you if you must be walking/running to activate a path swapper (I.e. if its second number of its Type ID is 80 or greater).

For comparison's sake, these files change the left picture below into the right picture. Not the most elegant solution, but effective.

[​IMG]

2. Hitaxas

Hitaxas

Retro 80's themed Twitch streamer ( on hiatus) Member
    Nice. Now it's much easier to set up the paths. :(

3. iojnekns

iojnekns

trouble keeps you runnin' faster Member
    Excellent! Thank you, this is an excellent tool. Pathswapping has long been the bane of my existence. This should definitely be incorporated into the wiki. It seems however, that this reveals the depth of my ignorance of pathswappers. Where did you learn about them?

4. Thorn

Thorn

Tech Member
    Home
    Sonic 2 Retro Remix
    I mimicked existing paths in Sonic 2's levels, and I read the descriptions that appear when you hover your cursor over the path swappers. All this mod does is gives a picture representation of the words that SonED2 gives you.

Well, now that I've released an updated version I wouldn't mind. If you re-download the ZIP, you'll see that I've added a better representation for horizontal path swappers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.