don't click here

Sonic 3 & Knuckles (PC Version)

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by MarkGrass, May 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MarkGrass

MarkGrass

I made a program for Sonic 3 & Knuckles (PC Version) that extracts the contents of "SONIC3K.DS2".

http://markgrass.the-horror.com/Release/Sonic/SonicDS2.rar

If there is need for a Repacker, I'll make one - I want to be sure that people have a use/need for this app before I decide to make a repacker.

2. What a first post!
    Very Nice!

3. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    I honestly can't download anything on my current connection lightly. So, I ask: Will this program give me properly quantized midi files of the soundtrack?

4. roxahris

roxahris

Everyone's a hypocrite. Take my word for it. Member
    Doing anything at all
    It just makes a lot of .BIN files for me...

5. Flygon

Flygon

I'm assuming those .BIN files are the data that's extracted =P

6. evilhamwizard

evilhamwizard

Researcher
    I get .raw files that can be played with these settings on Adobe Audition:

[22,050 kHz] [8-Bit] [Mono] (Unsigned)

However, I can't seem to do a mass conversion on these files. So you're on your own until someone does that. :P

7. MarkGrass

MarkGrass

@roxahris - Please redownload the app, sorry. I made a mistake when I first released it; I thought it would contain all the sprites/textures (hence, BIN extension). I was completely unaware that SEGA put them all into the EXE... Again, please accept my dearest apologies.

On the bright side, all the sound effects can be edited (given you know how to edit RAW PCM audio). Or, if editing them isn't "your thing", you can always collect and keep them for archival purpose.

Expect a Repacker for "SONIC3K.DS2" as early as today. :)

As of the current version, no. Seeing as how there is a slight interest growing in this app, a future update will rip the MIDI(s) from "MIDIOUT.DLL". After that, I'm afraid this app will have no further use, unless I get bored enough to disassemble the WIN32 executable...

8. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Oh, is that where they were. No wonder I never could find anything in the other files.

9. Omni

Omni

Anywhere.
    NO
    Hmm, with the repacker coming out soon, this opens the door to many interesting possibilities. Keep up the good work!

10. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    So the midis are in midiout.dll?
    Time for me to find them, the hardest part is that they are compressed D:

edit: I think the midis are not midis... This is interesting.

11. The midis in s3k PC are utter bullshit. It's like they used some gay conversion program. Some can be found on vgmusic.com. The beats aren't even the same, It's just random to me. It'd be nice to see how they made a standalone program, who knows maybe we'll be able to do the same =P

12. Flygon

Flygon

Actually, the aren't that bad, the "custom" ones anyway =P

13. I felt that the 'redid' ones never fitted the level like the originals. But those do have steady beats and don't sound like utter random crap.

14. saxman

saxman

Oldbie Tech Member
    The sequence data is not in the General MIDI format. I've never attempted to figure out what sort of format they're in though. I also disagree that the sequences in S3K for PC wasn't any good. I thought they did a terrific job. I'm not sure why nobody else see's it that way. I don't hear any beat changes either unless I'm not listening close enough.

15. evilhamwizard

evilhamwizard

Researcher
    They are pretty good. They're perfect for doing remixes in Fruityloops because the notes match up pretty well with the Genesis version. Even the new pieces added were pretty good (Ice Cap, and Carnival Night Act 2 are my favorites). I wonder what they'd sound like using the sound engine Sonic 3 used for the Genesis version?

Also in regards to the PC version, which I know was mentioned before, all the debugging labels are inside SONIC3K.EXE. Is anyone working on a disassembly using these labels?

16. I have no idea if anyone is working on an S&K disassembly for public release, but even if they are, using Hivebrain/Xeno's naming scheme seems to make a lot more sense than using these labels, since that would increase compatability with other disassemblies and is what a lot of people are used to.

17. MathUser

MathUser

3rd top wiki contributor Researcher
    So thanks to this tool, this means we can expect sonic 3k HD, correct?

18. RAMPKORV

RAMPKORV

Oldbie
    Sweden
    Licking my girlfriend's anus
    Although the labels themselves may be interesting. I'd like to see if something interesting can be told from them.

19. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Yeah, I can confirm this. The other day I took a look at the individual song files stored in midiout.dll, and I got the same conclusion, they're not MIDI files, nor compressed MIDI files.
    My guess (but I have nothing to prove it) is that they are not song data per se (à la Piano Roll), but rather they are "instructions to play the songs" (à la SMPS, to say so). This would also allow for loops and would actually make sense.
    So I'm thinking that SEGA, being lazy and stuff, simply decided to "upgrade" their 0603 SMPS songs to use 16 MIDI channels, or something like that. That, and the music data *maybe* is also compressed.

saxman, you, amongst all of us, are probably one of the best candidates to solve this mistery:)
    I'm not really interested about extracting MIDIs from S3&K collection, but I'd rather love to put some custom music in there.

20. I think the midis are made well, just...they're out of beat sometimes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.