Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Boss Fight Concepts - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 7 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

Boss Fight Concepts Design the Boss Fights here.

#16 User is offline Phoenix 

Posted 17 January 2009 - 12:12 PM

• Has really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like
Sorry, but no. If they're going through the levels at relatively the same time, it would mean that they would most likely fight the same bosses.

#17 User is offline Jof 

Posted 17 January 2009 - 12:15 PM

• Project:Sonic Fantasy

View PostPhoenix, on Jan 17 2009, 12:12 PM, said:

Sorry, but no. If they're going through the levels at relatively the same time, it would mean that they would most likely fight the same bosses.

So instead of 3 different intersecting stories playing at the same time, you'd rather it was some sort of "parallel" timeline, where each of the cast defeat the same boss 3 times ?

#18 User is offline test-object 

Posted 17 January 2009 - 12:25 PM

• By Torm, no! This is terrible! I... I had no idea I had this effect on you.
  • Wiki edits:1
STHX, that Catterkiller is rather big to be a mid-boss. However, he kinda makes me think of the boss in Monster Lair, which is quite an epic fight:
Posted Image

Attack number 3 is the best so far, but perhaps you should now find ways WHEN you can hurt him. :specialed:

Amistat, I would enjoy to fight this boss, but I think you recyled too much. More innovation, because anyone who played Sonic 1 and 2 would immiedietly know what to do, which beats the point of a boss.

I love the Tails vs. Metal Sonic idea, but if we do that, the boss should have to be more applied to Tails' flying ability.
Not very fond of Nack being a boss, stand aside a final boss. Is Robotnik not worthy enough? :/

#19 User is offline Jof 

Posted 17 January 2009 - 12:31 PM

View Posttest-object, on Jan 17 2009, 12:25 PM, said:

Not very fond of Nack being a boss, stand aside a final boss. Is Robotnik not worthy enough? :/

That's a fair point, however, did anyone mind when they fought Eggrobo in S&K as Knuckles ? Oh sure, he was just like Eggman, but then so would Nack be. He's got his own awesome machines (like in Triple Trouble), and his personality would mix things up a little.

#20 User is offline Polygon Jim 

Posted 17 January 2009 - 12:48 PM

• Project:All the bitches.
  • Wiki edits:582

View PostJof, on Jan 17 2009, 12:15 PM, said:

View PostPhoenix, on Jan 17 2009, 12:12 PM, said:

So instead of 3 different intersecting stories playing at the same time, you'd rather it was some sort of "parallel" timeline, where each of the cast defeat the same boss 3 times ?

SA1 did it, and so did Sonic 2 and Sonic 3.

#21 User is offline Jof 

Posted 17 January 2009 - 12:56 PM

View PostPolygon Jim, on Jan 17 2009, 12:48 PM, said:

SA1 did it, and so did Sonic 2 and Sonic 3.

Sa1 did it only with 3 bosses (Egg Hornet, Chaos 4 and Chaos 6 (Which played differently with Big anyway)).
I dunno, I feel it'd be a nice little progression for the series, but if it's too much, that's fine.

EDIT: Another thing is, absolutely none of the classic bosses took advantage of each characters abilities, they were all based on Sonic. I realise that's our plans for the final bosses, but why leave it at that ?

If having Nack and Metal as regular bosses is too much, at least have Eggman react differently to what character he faces.
This post has been edited by Jof: 17 January 2009 - 12:59 PM

#22 User is offline Phoenix 

Posted 17 January 2009 - 01:13 PM

That's perfect. Also, why not have Tails' final level be SBZ? I mean, it would make sense, Tails fighting Sonic where Sonic's first important battle took place. I don't know.

#23 User is offline test-object 

Posted 17 January 2009 - 01:24 PM

You know Phoenix, that is a great idea.

Hey, Sonic Team. If you read this; THIS is story developement! : D

#24 User is offline Phoenix 

Posted 17 January 2009 - 01:33 PM

View Posttest-object, on Jan 17 2009, 12:24 PM, said:

Hey, Sonic Team. If you read this; THIS is story developement! : D

And not overactive use of the time paradox.

#25 User is offline Jof 

Posted 17 January 2009 - 01:41 PM

View PostPhoenix, on Jan 17 2009, 01:13 PM, said:

That's perfect. Also, why not have Tails' final level be SBZ? I mean, it would make sense, Tails fighting Sonic where Sonic's first important battle took place. I don't know.

While that's a neat idea, if we're going by Chimpo's story outline (which I think was perfect), then Tails' last stage/boss is on the self-destructing fortress...

#26 User is offline Rokkan 

Posted 17 January 2009 - 02:39 PM

• Wiki edits:4
Posted Image
Fuck you Unleashed, I had this idea and two months later you come up with an Egg Beetle.
Egg Beetle's arms moves around an imaginary circle around the Egg Beetle, which follows Sonic's Y movement, defending him from every possible attack that Sonic may come up with.
Posted Image
After walking a bit just like S2's Final Boss, it jumps and flies in the air, shooting those fire bombs that spread around the arena.
Posted Image
Now, he quickly descends but in fact it's not that quickly, you can hit him two times while he goes down. Be careful, once he is on the ground, you can't hit him anymore.
Posted Image
Posted Image
After you hit him three times, he comes up with this attack. If it's the second time he's using this attack, and in the first time you did rip his arm off, he'll spill out a sattelite (like that in Launch Base's second Act 2 boss) that will do exactly the same as his arms does: Guard him.
Posted Image
The sattelite will not follow your movements, it will just spin around like Launch Base's boss. Have a good timing and the boss's done for.

#27 User is offline test-object 

Posted 17 January 2009 - 04:18 PM

The boss is too complex and a bit of a recycled mess. Make him a bit more basic, in other words, only having to hit the soft spot; Robotnik. You start off with him do nothing but defending.

BOSS ALTERNATION:
Perhaps you could make him like the GHZ boss and make his arms do a 180° degree spin?
The short arms spin slower. Time your spin dash to avoid this attack.

Then the second part, he suddenly gains legs and... the fuck? Legs will have to go :P
So, the second part he goes further in the air and he dives down with his body first. That is when you must attack him. When he lands, he is immortal again.

When this boss is hit 6 times, he will begin shooting the "firebombs". This could be replaced with the natural element of that zone.

Good job, but don't make things too complex, mate. :argh:
This post has been edited by test-object: 17 January 2009 - 04:22 PM

#28 User is offline Chimpo 

Posted 17 January 2009 - 04:38 PM

• Project:Atomic Sonic Part II

View Posttest-object, on Jan 17 2009, 09:25 AM, said:

View PostPhoenix, on Jan 17 2009, 01:13 PM, said:

While that's a neat idea, if we're going by Chimpo's story outline (which I think was perfect), then Tails' last stage/boss is on the self-destructing fortress...

Just make the fortress control room use "scraps from Scrap Brain Zone. (I kill myself!)

Problem solved.

#29 User is offline Rokkan 

Posted 17 January 2009 - 11:30 PM

• Wiki edits:4

View Posttest-object, on Jan 17 2009, 07:18 PM, said:

The boss is too complex and a bit of a recycled mess. Make him a bit more basic, in other words, only having to hit the soft spot; Robotnik. You start off with him do nothing but defending.

BOSS ALTERNATION:
Perhaps you could make him like the GHZ boss and make his arms do a 180° degree spin?
The short arms spin slower. Time your spin dash to avoid this attack.

Then the second part, he suddenly gains legs and... the fuck? Legs will have to go :P
So, the second part he goes further in the air and he dives down with his body first. That is when you must attack him. When he lands, he is immortal again.

When this boss is hit 6 times, he will begin shooting the "firebombs". This could be replaced with the natural element of that zone.

Good job, but don't make things too complex, mate. :ohdear:

Hm? I really didn't understand your alternation. And yes, I don't know what the fuck was I smoking when I came up with the legs.

#30 User is offline STHX 

Posted 18 January 2009 - 05:13 AM

• SEGAAAAAAAAA?!?
  • Project:Sonic In Mushroom Kingdom
  • Wiki edits:31
QUOTE (test-object @ Jan 17 2009, 08:25 PM) [post="269129"]Posted Image

Attack number 3 is the best so far, but perhaps you should now find ways WHEN you can hurt him. :ohdear:[/quote]
But... I like big bosses ç.ç
I know it appears big, maybe a bit to much but look at this:
Posted Image
As I said, this boss is based over the Caterkiller. I originally thought its dimensions to be double of the Caterkiller's ones, but, as you can see, it was too little, even slighty smaller than ball Sonic, so I moved to step 2. This time, however, with its x4 dimensions it was really too big. It would have occupied the whole screen! So I thought: if x2 is to little, and x4 is too big, what remains? So I redid it again with in a x3 scale, and the result is what I posted.

I also think the best attack is the 3, because it feels original, but it is not easy to hit him during that attack, that's why I added some easier attacks, like 1 and 2, for hitting it. During attack 1 he moves slowly, so Sonic can hit him in the head, its weak point. During attack 2 he moves faster, but it is also easier to predict its movement, since it will aim at Sonic. Of course I'm sure skilled players will find more chances to hit it (the player can hit it even during attack 4b, but he/she must be fast). Besides, I also like hard bosses ;D

And know: ROUND TWO. FIGHT!
Bolt Mobile:
Posted Image
(OMG THIS IS THE SHITTIEST MOCK-UP I EVER MADE)

0 - Sonic reaches the end of the Zone, a storm start, and the Bolt Mobile appears. The mock-up its so bad it's impossible to understand what it is. Basically its formed by: A generator with a lightning conductor on top of it and 3 high-tension shooter below.
1 - In the beginnig, it seems the boss does nothing, since it just move back and forth. But suddenly a lightning hits the conductor and activates the generator and...
2 - After a few moments a bolt will be fired by one of the shooters!
3 - The boss will fire various bolts from one of the 3 shooters. It won't really aim at Sonic, but the player must still be careful. Of course there is a way to predict where the next bolt will strike, since the shooting shooter (worst pun ever) will light up. As the fight goes on, he will start shooting bolts at a faster pace.
4 - When hit 6 times, a short circuit in the generator will cause all shooters to shot bolts together (althought they could still shoot in rapid succesion, only one activated at the beginning)
5 - For how much a boss can be hard, there must always be a way to defeat him. The weak point of the Bolt Mobile is that it can't shoot bolts in every direction, so, if the player predicts where it will stop next, he/she will have a chance to strike at it. Oh yes, one final thing. The generator needs to reload after a certain amount of bolts have been shooted, and so the boss will need to wait for the next lightning to hit the conductor (during this moment the boss fly higher to avoid Sonic's attacks)

-When this boss is hit 6 times, he will...
Look at attack number 4

-The Zone most fitting?
Rainforest Ruins Zone (Argh, zone clash!). The reason why, in my opinion, fits that zone is because rain can easely turn to storm, and storm means bolts. Actually, maybe the boss is the cause of the heavy storm (and now that I think about it, maybe all of Act 3 can have a stronger storm instead of a simple rain like Act 1 and 2)

• 7 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users