Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Ristar discussion - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 4 Pages +
    Locked Forum

Ristar discussion Because Ristar is like a Sonic game anyway

#31 User is offline Terrin 

Posted 24 February 2008 - 07:08 PM

QUOTE (Durean @ Feb 24 2008, 05:16 PM) [post="180670"]Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
The clouds seem to have been redone between 0909 and the final.

When you ride the pollen thing up in 0909, you simply hang and it'll move horizontal to drop you on the ledge when it gets high enough. In the final, you swing back and forth on it to launch over to the ledge. Here's some pics of 0909 to illustrate what I'm talking about.
Posted ImagePosted Image

The sound test in 0909 is also different than the final - it has the same title as the Genesis sound test and is lacking the little animated sprite. Some track names are misspelled. The stars in the background are also different colors. They altered second opening song name in the GG final - but it remains 'Pray!! Pray!! Play!!' in the Genesis final. Here's another side by side.
Posted ImagePosted Image

In normal play, I managed to lodge our hero in the side of this island. Didn't take any damage, but I was stuck until I moved to the left. Ristar seems awfully happy about this predicament...
Posted Image
This post has been edited by Terrin: 24 February 2008 - 07:50 PM

#32 User is offline Durean 

Posted 24 February 2008 - 07:24 PM

Only other thing I could find in the 0909 proto is that Rewope/Automaton 2 isn't in the game yet - choosing it in level select just resets the game, and otherwise the game automatically skips it and goes to the boss.

#33 User is offline Waluigi Prower 

Posted 24 February 2008 - 07:28 PM

• Project:Not another Sonic 2 Hack
701:

When you put in the AGES password, it says Copyright 1995, but on the title screen it says 1994. Is that anything of importance?

EDIT: Also, if you go to the sound test and quickly alternate between "Lock-Up!!" and "Battle Entry Concentration", the little bird thing will keep moving past where it is normally.
This post has been edited by Waluigi Prower: 24 February 2008 - 08:10 PM

#34 User is offline Sanky 

Posted 25 February 2008 - 06:29 AM

• Random nobody
  • Project:Nothing.
  • Wiki edits:3

View PostWaluigi Prower, on Feb 25 2008, 01:28 AM, said:

When you put in the AGES password, it says Copyright 1995, but on the title screen it says 1994. Is that anything of importance?
I'm pretty sure they put the year it would be released into the password, and the year the build waas created in tittle screen.

View PostWaluigi Prower, on Feb 25 2008, 01:28 AM, said:

EDIT: Also, if you go to the sound test and quickly alternate between "Lock-Up!!" and "Battle Entry Concentration", the little bird thing will keep moving past where it is normally.
I'm not sure, but I think I have done this in final, too.
This post has been edited by Sanky: 25 February 2008 - 06:30 AM

#35 User is offline Peter 

Posted 26 February 2008 - 11:54 AM

Here's the Ristar Cluster list of differences between the Japanese and US versions, from the internet archive:
web.archive.org/web/20041102150911/ristar.sonic-cult.org/jap-vs-usa.htm

#36 User is offline Djbrayster 

Posted 26 February 2008 - 05:08 PM

• "Do you wana chat with me?"
  • Project:Classic Amy The Hedgehog
  • Wiki edits:7
QUOTE (PAW @ Feb 26 2008, 11:54 AM) [post="181348"]Posted Image

shown below... this is why we had never seen them!

Posted ImagePosted Image

They were removed. I am yet to notice other missing sprites but this solves one hang over we found in the final.

Another thing noticed on 2-2... on the third room where the 2 orange seahorse enemies float around a figure of 8 room.. there is a odd three red dot enemy that dissapears alongside the boulders that lock you in when you enter the room!
Posted Image

This is the main things that I remember from the other night.. other than the whole names in the level select etc.

glad to see people are really interested in Ristar still! ^_^

*edit: typos (was late night sorry)
This post has been edited by Djbrayster: 27 February 2008 - 10:02 AM

#37 User is offline Djbrayster 

Posted 27 February 2008 - 10:29 AM

This is more a bump than a double post.. I had lots of quotes so editing the old post would had been a bit longer.

View Postb_boult, on Feb 23 2008, 09:56 PM, said:

View PostNabaztag, on Feb 24 2008, 04:57 PM, said:

Strangely 701's header is —VOLT-- THE VOLTAGE. No clue what that has to do with Ristar.

Judging by the rampant name-changing the Ristar team went though, we could assume that Volt was a name for Ristar at one point.

Here's a timeline:
Feel -> Volt -> Ristar -> Dexstar -> Ristar

I could see why they would call him "Volt" at one point, due to his color-scheme. However, the "RISTAR IS NOT VOLT" text is very odd, and may just be a programmer joke.

Although the possibility of Volt being a codename isn't too out of the question. :P

And also, about "Dexstar," I spoke with djbrayster on the subject and he brought up the possibility of it being a US localization name at one point.

I will actually go with Drx's comment on Ristar's shoes.. remember the FEEL proto pics?
Feel was much more rounded and more like a fat freaky rabbit with red and white sonic shoes.
The ristar final design is much more "sparky" and has the bolts on his shoes.
It appears it did go Feel then was redesigned and turned to Volt and then became Ristar/Dexstar.
It is possible the Volt origins is why Dexstar has the energized comment on the intro. to keep with the more sparky appearance of Ristar, while acknowledging he also looks and acts like a ambiDEXtrous STAR.

View PostRafalapso, on Feb 24 2008, 06:21 PM, said:

Valid passwords for 0701:
NOTONE - Onchi System Set Up! (Enables Onchi, an option in the Sound Test that distorts the music being played)
NOTEKI - Ristar Was Invincible! (Ristar will pass through enemies)
ILOVEU - RD.Select Active (Stage Select)
MIEMIE - True Sight (Shows hidden items)
FEEL - Hyper Mode ON (Gives the effects of NOTEKI, MIEMIE and ILOVEU)
AAAAAA - Free Continue O.K.!! (Infinite Continues?)
STAR - Star Star Mode (?)
BSDEMO - Boss Battle Demonstration (?)
AKUUYS - Real Staff (?)
AGES - Copyright S E G A 1995

0718 has the same passwords as the final release, except for the MACCHA - The Miyake color!!! which was added at the 0812 proto but it appears that only got coded in the final release.

The MACCHA code only effects one level as far as I could tell in the final.. and this was the Greedy boss arena! went from a bronze/orange to a gold/yellow colour. Have you checked that stage?

#38 User is offline Rafalapso 

Posted 27 February 2008 - 11:12 AM

The maccha code is in the august protos but if you try to use the password, it will give a password error screen.
Here are the areas in the roms where the passwords are:

Posted Image
July, 01
Posted Image
July, 18
Posted Image
August, 12
Posted Image
August 16

Here also are the areas in the final roms:
Posted Image
(UE)
Posted Image
(J)

In the japanese final, the MACCHA code works, but in the american/european the code doesn't work.

#39 User is offline Djbrayster 

Posted 27 February 2008 - 12:26 PM

Wow that's really interesting... so they implemented the maccha code for only the jp final? wonder if this means that at one point the work on localisation was done alongside the final work on the jp version. This might explain why some codes are present in the text of the roms but not active.

#40 User is offline ICEknight 

Posted 27 February 2008 - 01:36 PM

• Wiki edits:18

View PostDjbrayster, on Feb 27 2008, 10:29 AM, said:

I will actually go with Drx's comment on Ristar's shoes.. remember the FEEL proto pics?
Feel was much more rounded and more like a fat freaky rabbit with red and white sonic shoes.
It appears it did go Feel then was redesigned and turned to Volt and then became Ristar/Dexstar.
It is possible the Volt origins is why Dexstar has the energized comment on the intro. to keep with the more sparky appearance of Ristar, while acknowledging he also looks and acts like a ambiDEXtrous STAR.

I guess the whole concept was way too similar to PulseMan, including the uncontrollable route they follow when they're flying (they only let Ristar control his flight after a certain proto).

For the record, one of the Spanish magazines where I scanned the Feel pics you all know, said Feel was a flame. I can only think the final "swinging poles" were something completely different back then.

#41 User is offline Djbrayster 

Posted 27 February 2008 - 02:24 PM

View PostICEknight, on Feb 27 2008, 01:36 PM, said:

View PostDjbrayster, on Feb 27 2008, 10:29 AM, said:

I guess the whole concept was way too similar to PulseMan, including the uncontrollable route they follow when they're flying (they only let Ristar control his flight after a certain proto).

For the record, one of the Spanish magazines where I scanned the Feel pics you all know, said Feel was a flame. I can only think the final "swinging poles" were something completely different back then.

Did you ever release a translation of the article itself? as it would be interesting to know what they said about feel etc. I had never heard of the flame thing.

#42 User is offline Xkeeper 

Posted 27 February 2008 - 03:44 PM

• get in the zone. badnikzone.
  • Project:herpa derpa doop
  • Wiki edits:221

View PostICEknight, on Feb 27 2008, 10:36 AM, said:

Glad to see I wasn't the only one who thought it could've refrenced Pulseman.

It's the first thing that came to mind when I saw the header of that ROM.

#43 User is offline Durean 

Posted 27 February 2008 - 08:48 PM

I just remembered (and wish I had a picture to go with this) that in the US manual, to demonstrate the password screen "DEX" is the example in the screenshot. I always wondered why they used that.

#44 User is offline ICEknight 

Posted 28 February 2008 - 09:40 AM

• Wiki edits:18

View PostDjbrayster, on Feb 27 2008, 02:24 PM, said:

Did you ever release a translation of the article itself? as it would be interesting to know what they said about feel etc. I had never heard of the flame thing.
It wasn't an article, just some little blurbs in two or maybe three magazines, not stating much besides the title. =\

#45 User is offline Djbrayster 

Posted 28 February 2008 - 10:56 AM

View PostICEknight, on Feb 28 2008, 09:40 AM, said:

View PostDjbrayster, on Feb 27 2008, 02:24 PM, said:

It wasn't an article, just some little blurbs in two or maybe three magazines, not stating much besides the title. =\

hmm.. wonder how much truth is behind that comment then.. I remember a uk sega magazine going on about ristar being the "Masked Groper" and had hilarious captions on all the pictures but the article itself was more serious. Unfortunately I remember in one magazine it said "next month Feel preview" but the next month had nothing about it. and then ristar was announced and they commented on how they were going to be doing a feature but it never happened.

I wish they had done that article now. ;_;

Anyway I am going to do some heavy work this weekend on Ristar Cluster and these protos as I have a weekend free for once! first time in a very long time!

• 4 Pages +
    Locked Forum

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users