don't click here

The Supreme Topic of 'Other' Knowledge.

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by McGuirk, Jan 10, 2007.

1. That stinks. The lack of Sonic in Japan and SEGA’s selling of their amusement operations really kicks early 2000s kid me in the nuts lol.

On a side note: I don’t think I’ve ever seen ため written in kanji. I had to look it up.

2. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Ever want a jazzy a capella version of the Sonic 3 & Knuckles Continue music? No? Well here it is anyway:

3. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

This is great...

But why do we keep posting stuff like this in this thread? Is there any particular reason that we're not using a dedicated a dedicated thread? This topic is/was supposed to be a repository for obscure Sonic info not worthy of its own thread, but SEGA is producing a while mini 30th Anniversary Sessions collection like they did for all of Tee Lopes remixes a few years ago. Its really tiring when significant things end up here and then get lost as a result.

4. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Idk where things like this should go and I don't want to spam things up.

5. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
  6. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
  7. MrMechanic

MrMechanic

So I was doing some video editing today and found something... really odd in the Sonic Riders opening CG cutscene.

Right at the start the trio walk past an electronic screen, and just as it cuts to Tails' scanning device, for literally 1 frame... the screen cuts to this...

WTF Screen.jpg

I'm... At a loss? Is that a severed pink leg?

8. Ch1pper

Ch1pper

Fighting the Battle of Who Could Care Less Member
    Life.
    I spotted this in a preview of Sonic Jam the other day. Kinda minor but notable: Two of Sonic World's Mission objectives were changed slightly.

GameFan V5-06 (Jun 1997) 69.jpg
    The screenshot in the bottom right corner (below "History!") contains the mission list in Sonic World with two small differences:
    -Mission 3, "50 Rings" was once "All Rings".
    -Mission 8, "100 Rings" was once "All Points", no doubt finding all 8 lampposts in one go.

From GameFan, June 1997, Volume 5, Issue 6, page 69.
    So, yeah. Neato.

Attached Files:

• Informative Informative x 12
    • Like Like x 3
    • List
  9. Rlan

Rlan

Oldbie
    Was going through the Sonic: Triple Trouble page today, realized that we've sourced better screenshots from magazine scans for a lot of the screenshots, so I updated them:

[​IMG]

While going through the article list, also spotted one that hadn't been noted before:

[​IMG]

Also, looking for the source of this one - anyone remember what this came from?

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  10. Rlan

Rlan

Oldbie
    • Like Like x 7
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  11. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    That last one was from an issue of the UK's SEGA Magazine I believe, as I made a scan of this very screenshot from it back in the day. I don't have the issue any more, but I believe it was from the one with a large anime-style portrait of Axel from Streets of Rage on the cover (my memory says issue #4?) - the text accompanying the screenshot referred to the game as Sonic Chaos 2, and gave Fang/Nack's name as "Jet the Sniper". The same issue also had a big Streets of Rage 3 preview in it, featuring loads of screenshots from a proto midway through localisation where Axel still wore his white/blue outfit like in Bare Knuckle III.

EDIT: Wayback has an archived page showing a JPEG version of my old scan on Sonic CulT's subpage for Triple Trouble - the scan includes the article text, so I'm now certain it's from SEGA Magazine and about 90% sure I've remembered the correct issue. Hope that helps...!

Last edited: Feb 2, 2022
  12. Rlan

Rlan

Oldbie
  13. Vertekins

Vertekins

Wants to know everything about Sonic Member
    Midlands, England, UK, over there in Europe.
    Translating Sonic info. Working on Concept Mobius. Also, trying to find extant footage of original Sonic CD special stage.
    Ever since I discovered that Knuckles' original design was Dinosaur-like during his conception phrase from that Japanese Sonic Jam magazine article, I've wondered if his long, bent tail is actually a remnant of this Dino-like design.

Imagine my surprise when I stumbled across another translator's translated interview with Naka in which he does state that Knuckles tail is a remnant of his Dino-like design!;

[​IMG]

It's kinda funny that when I get an inkling about something, I'm often proven right. Not to toot my own horn or anything like that though heh.

• Informative Informative x 6
    • List
  14. RDNexus

RDNexus

What other things Sonic-related may you get an inkling about?
    Who knows, you may end up being right about them as well...

15. Vertekins

Vertekins

Translating Sonic info. Working on Concept Mobius. Also, trying to find extant footage of original Sonic CD special stage.
    If we're talking about past inklings of mine that turned out to be correct?

Well, I once had a conversation over ask with one of my Tumblr mutuals over the Encyclo-speed-ia months before it released that going by Ian Flynn's general lack of knowledge of the franchise, the book would be stashed with factual errors. I was proven right there.

Before Mania's release, I had an inkling that the grand-looking Egg Robo i.e Heavy King in Mirage Saloon's portraits were of an important character and quite possibly a boss as the character's design was too well done to be mere level decor with nothing else to it. Was correct there too. Not like it was a hard thing to predict though I'll admit.

I accurately predicted many of the design elements of the original Movie Sonic design a while before the first reveal.

I had an inkling that because of the changed illusion attacks in Speed Battle, Infinite would be introduced as a playable character. This was even before he was being teased before his complete debut.

And this one in not as much an inkling but a hope - That IDW Sonic wouldn't get a Scourge expy (Because I despise that character). Turns out I'm psychic lol. Though I'll admit that this hope stemmed from my own prediction that IDW Sonic would be reheating Archie Sonic leftovers due to another inkling that it's staff simply can't let go of Archie Sonic. Which was proven correct by the recycling of the Metal Virus concept, Surge being very similar to Scourge (One of her design concepts was even a Hedgehog. And note the name similarity) and arguably Starline becoming what numerous fans like to call "Toothpaste Snively".

I know there's quite a lot of inklings/predictions of mine that were ultimately proven accurate. But as I've had a memory like a sieve lately, it's hard for me to recall them.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  16. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    upload_2022-2-4_16-51-6.png

17. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Add it to the wiki! :eng101:

18. Xilla

Xilla

Sonic 2 Game Gear proto footage at 22:16

• Informative Informative x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  19. Pengi

Pengi

There's enough in there to merit its own topic. Definitely plenty to be added to the wiki.

20. Vertekins

Vertekins

Differences I spotted

- It may be because the title screen is merely a screenshot for this video but if it isn't, Sonic isn't waving his two fingers on the title screen from side to side.
    - Gani-Gani's walking animation is slower.
    - Sonic has his "Drowning and gasping for breath" sprites upon taking damage.
    - Tile glitchiness in Underground Zone at 22:38
    - Minecart glitchiness at 22:54
    - Sonic sometimes won't drop rings when damaged even though his ring count in the hub takes the hit.
    - Sky High's title card is rendered "SKY HI ZONE". It's also stated to be act 2. This stage is pretty much act 1 in final.
    - Sky High uses numerous graphical assets from the autodemo.
    - Rings and bridge have palette issues
    - Sections of the bridge don't collapse when Sonic runs over it.
    - Springs appear to be animated or have a cycling palette.
    - Different sound effects when bounching on springs.
    - Unused boulders are seen at 23:33 (It goes off-screen pretty much immediately) and 23:59. They can be destroyed.
    - There's an unused monitor-type shown at 23:54 showing a question mark.
    - Level layout is different to final.
    - The end of level plate has an different design of Dr Eggman compared to final.
    - Aqua Lake has very different visuals.
    - No distinctive sound effect for breaking the 1UP monitor.
    - Level layout is different to final.

I think I nailed all of them.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2022
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List