don't click here

Series with a title on every Sega platform?

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by Bobblen, Jan 19, 2022.

1. Bobblen

Bobblen

I was making some additions to the Sega Retro wiki and noticed that there's at least one Mortal Kombat game on every Sega system from Master System all the way through to Dreamcast. Not to mention that Mortal Kombat II alone managed to be on Master System, Game Gear, Mega Drive, 32X and Saturn.

I guess it's unlikely that any single game would be on every console (mainly due to the very small 32x library) but can anyone think of any other series not named Sonic the Hedgehog that's as prolific as this?

2. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    SG-1000.

I think there are Flickies on every home Sega system, but you have to count unused sprites in prototype versions of Chaotix.

3. Bobblen

Bobblen

Including the SG-1000 is definitely hard mode, though looking at the list, I see a Hang On 2 which might have potential. Acclaim/Midway clearly loved Sega, there's NBA Jams all over the place (even an unreleased master system version showed up recently) and Primal Rage as well.

4. biggestsonicfan

biggestsonicfan

Model2wannaB Tech Member
    ALWAYS Sonic the Fighters
    Virtua Fighter 2 spanned the Genesis, 32X, and Saturn for some reason lol. That's hardly an "every platform" answer but I feel that's quite the generation gap to cover to be honest.

5. Bobblen

Bobblen

That's a surprisingly good answer for the other question actually, VF3 is on the dreamcast and apparently something called 'Virtua Fighter Animation' is on the game gear (I learned just now).

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  6. Bobblen

Bobblen

Bit of a stretch as it's a character rather than a propre series but Spiderman manages to show up on everything, in Spiderman vs Kingpin on mega drive/master system/game gear/mega cd, there's a 32x spiderman game who's name escapes me and in the marvel vs capcom series on Saturn/Dreamcast.

7. Pirate Dragon

Pirate Dragon

Which was also released for SMS in Brazil, So; SMS, MD, GG, 32X, SAT, DC.

Another bit of a stretch, but they're all related;

SG: Chack 'n Pop
    SMS: Bubble Bobble / Rainbow Islands: The Story of Bubble Bobble 2 /
    MD: Rainbow Islands Extra /
    GG: Bubble Bobble / Bust-A-Move
    SAT: Bust-A-Move 2: Arcade Edition / Bust-A-Move 3 / Bubble Bobble also featuring Rainbow Islands / Bubble Symphony
    DC: Bust-A-Move 4

So on every stand-alone system, although not 32X or MCD.

8. Pirate Dragon

Pirate Dragon

Even disregarding Sonic games, Flicky was playable on a surprisingly high number of systems, just missing GG & 32X (I think);

SG: Flicky
    SMS: Flicky (SG-1000 version released for SMS by Samsung in Korea)
    MD: Flicky
    MCD: Flicky (Wondermega Collection / Game no Kanzume Vol. 1)
    SAT: Flicky (Sega Ages Memorial Selection Vol. 1)
    DC: Flicky (Dream Library)

Another one that made it from SG-1000 to Dreamcast whilst missing the same platforms;

SG: Doki Doki Penguin Land
    SMS: Penguin Land
    MD: Ikasuze! Koi no Doki Doki Penguin Land MD (Sega Game Toshokan)
    MCD: Ikasuze! Koi no Doki Doki Penguin Land MD (Game no Kanzume Vol. 2)
    SAT: Doki Doki Penguin Land (Sega Ages Memorial Selection Vol. 2)
    DC: Ikasuze! Koi no Doki Doki Penguin Land MD (Dream Library)

GG did have Pengo, which does seem related, and unlike Flicky, Penguin Land would have been playable via a Master Gear Converter.

After Burner was another series playable from SMS through to DC;

SMS: After Burner / G-LOC
    MD: After Burner II / G-LOC
    GG: G-LOC
    MCD: After Burner III
    32X: After Burner Complete
    SAT: Sega Ages After Burner II
    DC: After Burner II (Yu Suzuki Game Works Vol. 1)

9. Not as impressive as some of the others mentioned, but Ecco the Dolphin made it onto the SMS, Genesis, Game Gear, Sega CD, and Dreamcast, with a 32X entry planned. Plus the Pico and the Pocket Arcade!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. Bobblen

Bobblen

Some really good ones there, can't believe I forgot about bubble bobble and its many spin offs given my user name! That dreamcast arcade set opens up a few more possibilities, Space Harrier seems to be on everything

SMS/GG - Space Harrier
    MD - Space Harrier II
    32X - Space Harrier
    Saturn - Sega Ages Space Harrier
    Dreamcast - Yu Suzuki compilation

Just missing a dodgy mega cd port that's identical to the mega drive version but with a cheesy fmv intro (come on homebrew devs, make it happen :-P )

Ecco's a great answer, they really did rinse the original for all it's worth didn't they? And I say that as a big Ecco fan. PC port as well.

11. Bobblen

Bobblen

The thread inspired me to take a pass at hidden content for Bubble Bobble/Rainbow Islands/Bust a move series. Looking at 8-bit at the moment. So many codes on the master system, all removed on the game gear. Poor old game gear.
    Bubble Bobble/Hidden content - Sega Retro

There's an astonishing amount of hidden content in master system Bubble Bobble, I've done the codes and added a few passwords that unlock all content (smspower has a neat password generator), but I also found the link below which is a seemingly exhaustive list of in game secrets.

This probably won't make it into the wiki because I'll be here all year, but I'll definitely be trying a playthrough that hits all this stuff. Back in the day I knew you had to find a few items to win the game but had no idea there was this much to find. What an interesting game.
    Bubble Bobble secret room FAQ - SMS (archive.org)

Last edited: Jan 20, 2022
  12. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    I can answer this one.

147 at 1:02:33, 179 1:15:52. I'm pretty sure it just requires not dying in 146/178, and holding the Key/Candle. 147 is a treasure room, 179 gives you the "start with one extra life code" already on the Wiki.

All Doors/No Umbrellas might be an interesting thing to try at some point in time, but when there are levels that require you not to die or it's all done and dying is very easy (although I did well only taking one death there) it might be a while before I decide to actually sit down and do it.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  13. Bobblen

Bobblen

Very well done, that's a great run. I'm pretty confident that the codes on the wiki are a complete set, smspower are very good at actually reverse engineering the games to watch what button combinations the game is expecting, I'd be very surprised if one was missed.

And when I say 'run', in my case I mean 'save state as I go along' rather than something awesome like what you've done there. I just like seeing all the content the game has to offer

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  14. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    This is starting to derail from the topic at hand, but that list of secret doors does look interesting for a Tool-Assisted playthrough, maybe I can make one eventually.

No promises, though, because recording such a long video from Dega (the one and only Tool-Assisted emulator without direct AVI dump) is annoying enough to drain my motivation in advance.

edit: this can be another useful reference.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2022
  15. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    I never really looked too far into the story, but there are a few unlicensed Master System versions of Bubble Bobble, ported from the MSX because the game was a hit in South Korea.

So while not strictly an SG-1000 game, some will be running in the graphics mode intended for SG-1000 backwards compatibility. So that almost counts.

16. Brainulator

Brainulator

Regular garden-variety member Member
    Does the CD 32X count as a platform for the purposes of this thread? If so, that dwindles us down... pretty much nothing. Then again, it is just two separate systems joining forces...

17. Bobblen

Bobblen

Ha! Yeah think we've finally reached the limit there. If we're including the obscure stuff Ecco had a Pico version and is included in the Mega Drive Mini :-P

18. Deathscythe

Deathscythe

Street Fighter II received a port on Master System, Mega Drive, Saturn and Dreamcast!

19. Xilla

Xilla

If EA had supported the Dreamcast, then FIFA would have joined After Burner in a clean sweep as far as the West is concerned (albeit with the SMS version only being released in Brazil).

20. Vanishing Vision

Vanishing Vision

Columns is pretty widespread.

Arcade: Columns, Columns II, Stack Columns, Columns '97, Hanagumi Taisen Columns
    Master System: Columns
    Genesis: Columns, Columns III
    Game Gear: Columns, Super Columns
    Saturn: First four arcade games in Sega Ages Columns Arcade Collection, Hanagumi Taisen Columns as a standalone release
    Dreamcast: Columns (Genesis) in Sega Smash Pack Vol. 1, Hanagumi Taisen Columns 2

Last edited: Feb 20, 2022